Denali Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,917 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 09:48 PM

William Maley
Editor/Reporter - CheersandGears.com
January 25, 2012

Ford is going down a different path from other automakers. The company says it will not go after the segment leader, the Toyota Camry with its brand new 2013 Fusion. The plan is to focus on a finding a balance between price and volume.

“Between price and volume, we’ll sort out the right mix. I don’t think we’re very enamored with being No. 1 just to be No. 1. We’re much more enamored with getting the right price point and the right kind of people to buy the car,” said Jim Farley, Ford’s global marketing chief.

Even though Ford’s decision to balance price with volume is a calculated move, Ford couldn’t compete with Toyota on volume if they wanted to. Research firm IHS Automotive says Ford’s production capacity for the Fusion is 400,000. However, Toyota’s production capacity for the Camry is 500,000. Although neither company is planning to run their sedan plants at full capacity, IHS forecasts the Camry will hold a slight lead.

This strategy will also cause the Fusion to drop in the sales charts. Jessica Caldwell, sales analyst with Edmunds.com says the Fusion will drop from third to forth place. The Camry will be first, followed by the Accord and then the Altima.

t’s going to be hard to outsell the Camry. Camry has been on top so long they’ve built up a huge, loyal owner base. Just from the sheer numbers, Camry is hard to beat,” Caldwell said.

Source: Bloomberg

Click here to view the article

JamesBond

Nobody Does it Better

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,812 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 11:26 PM

Translation: the Fusion is going to be more expensive than all our perceived competitors models.

regfootball

Firing on all sixteen cylinders

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,008 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 12:42 AM

camry. blech!

ocnblu

C&G's Boldest Member

• Premium Subscriber
  • 28,451 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 04:46 AM

If Mercury were still around, the Fusion could be priced more moderately in base form for a 3-tier midsize car attack instead of 2.

I do like the new Fusion. When's the V6 version coming?

Drew Dowdell

Unimatrix 01

• Admin
  • 30,012 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 08:54 AM

Well if they want to do this, they better get the sales of the Focus in line. That said, I absolutely think that Ford has the goods here to go head to head with the Camry. Not like the half assed trickle of powertrains that Chevy is trying to pull off.

Drew Dowdell

Unimatrix 01

• Admin
  • 30,012 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 11:20 AM

Why would they need a V6 version? Pretty much anyone can get 280+ hp from a Turbo-4 these days... which is all you can really do in a FWD family car. No it is not "over stressed" when the engine is designed to to the requirements of the turbo.

ocnblu

C&G's Boldest Member

• Premium Subscriber
  • 28,451 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 07:54 PM

Are you trying to head me off at the pass by pre-empting my inevitable rant about there not being a replacement for displacement? I shall break free of your restraints, Drewbert!

Drew Dowdell

Unimatrix 01

• Admin
  • 30,012 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 07:56 PM

That old saying no longer applies.... I actually intend to do a full editorial on it.

ocnblu

C&G's Boldest Member

• Premium Subscriber
  • 28,451 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 08:20 PM

Oh Drew... so silly. Of course it still applies. LS9 FTW!!!

riviera74

GXP Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 638 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 10:22 PM

With the new 2013 Fusion being more expensive, that will allow Lincoln's MKZ to be even more premium (not necessarily luxury). Or Ford would rather take the profits and go home. IDK.

Drew Dowdell

Unimatrix 01

• Admin
  • 30,012 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 10:34 PM

I think a very luxury Mondeo will go over as well as it did the last time they tried that in the U.S.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users