That will buff right out.

Wow in my own backyard and I don't remember this at all. He were awfully lucky to live through this I wonder how full a recovery he made? I think that piece of spoiler and lower ground FX could be salvaged though :rolleyes: . All I could think of was The Dukes of Hazard & Smokey & the Bandit.

The JGC driver is being very courteous, stacking his vehicle vertically so more folks could squeeze in and such.

Sadly, I see a white Cutlass Supreme G-body with a tan landau roof in the pileup photo... :(

Edited by ocnblu

Definately not a Smart. A Smart would have bounced off the truck... sure everyone would have had terrible injuries, but the cage would have stayed intact. That looks very Asian to me, but it could be a whole host of tiny, not-for-NA cars...

At first I thought it was a Smart in the US (since there is a Ford Super Duty in the background), but the license plates look odd...may be Central or South America since the Super Duty is sold there..not a Toyota iQ either. The spare mounted on the back makes me think it's a small CUV of some sort.

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

The pole hit the outside of the Camaro's frame... and simply sheared off everything outboard of the frame member. Since no one object is heavy enough to stop the energy, it just snapped its way through a lot of material that didn't put up a fight... likely until it hit the firewall... and even then, it probably stopped at one of the underbody crossbraces.

The other split open Camaro was similar... so perhaps it wasn't going as fast as we think... still fast, but not crazy fast... had the pole hit 3 inches closer to the centerline, the accident would have likely been no where as extreme.

The pole hit the outside of the Camaro's frame... and simply sheared off everything outboard of the frame member. Since no one object is heavy enough to stop the energy, it just snapped its way through a lot of material that didn't put up a fight... likely until it hit the firewall... and even then, it probably stopped at one of the underbody crossbraces.

The other split open Camaro was similar... so perhaps it wasn't going as fast as we think... still fast, but not crazy fast... had the pole hit 3 inches closer to the centerline, the accident would have likely been no where as extreme.

you would think that there would be more protection on frame members that are in front of the seats rather than the centerline of the car itself. If that car had a front passenger, there'd likely be nothing left of them.

you would think that there would be more protection on frame members that are in front of the seats rather than the centerline of the car itself. If that car had a front passenger, there'd likely be nothing left of them.

Well, I wonder if in the battle to reduce/limit weight if parts of the car that are not touched in the usual crash tests are being skimped on... I would expect the firewall to have more strength than the two split Camaros have exhibited.

• 4 months later...

weird192.jpg

I'd love to know the story behind this.

tornado?

It would probably be mangled if it were a result of a tornado. I would say advertising for a business (I've seen cars on a pole for a junkyard), but I don't see any advertising on it...strange.

weird192.jpg

I'd love to know the story behind this.

tornado?

It would probably be mangled if it were a result of a tornado. I would say advertising for a business (I've seen cars on a pole for a junkyard), but I don't see any advertising on it...strange.

I dunno, I've heard tornados do some wierd things. Like your neighbor's house gets levelled, but you just got a window busted out; that sort of thing.

although my first thought was "practical joke," which would be freaking hilarious.

Mayhaps the tree grew around it and elevated it as it grew. :)

And thanks, Chris. I had fun in that little car right up until that moment. And today I was almost in a head-on collision in my Jeep. Some Spainish kids in a clapped-out Civic went to pass a Jeep Liberty that was turning right heading toward me on a two-lane. They pulled out blind directly into my path. I had to slam on the brakes and came within 3 feet of hitting them head-on.