Denali Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,129 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 12:35 PM

William Maley
Editor/Reporter - CheersandGears.com
January 31, 2012

The Dodge Dart has been getting rave reviews since being shown earlier this month at the North American International Auto Show in Detroit. Since then, rumors of an SRT version of the Dart have been floating around and Motor Trend has put together some information for this possible model.

Powertrain wise, the Dart SRT4 could use a turbocharged version of the Tigershark 2.0-liter four-cylinder or Alfa Romeo's upcoming all-aluminum 1.8L turbo-4. Horsepower rating for the Dart should be over the Caliber SRT4's 285 HP. A upgraded six-speed dual-clutch transmission from the Alfa Romeo Giulietta Cloverleaf is expected.

The Dart SRT4's chassis will get stiffer springs and dampers, larger wheels, and upgraded rubber. Also, the Dart SRT4 will get a new aggressive aero pack to help it out.

Source: Motor Trend

Click here to view the article

blackviper8891

Schwarze Schafe

• Editor/Reporter
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,069 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 02:41 PM

The Dart is very much on my list of new cars I would consider buying.

dwightlooi

OSV Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,632 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 03:55 PM

Nice addition to the Mopar lineup. But don't count on the power rating to exceed the Caliber SRT. Afterall the Caliber uses a 2.4 liter mill. Plus, if the new car is lighter it may not need as much power to have equal or superior performance.

Turbojett

OSV Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,153 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 10:27 PM

We all knew this was coming. Doesn't make me any less excited.

Turbojett

OSV Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,153 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 10:28 PM

dammit, Dodge is becoming what Pontiac should have been.

Edited by Turbojett, 31 January 2012 - 10:28 PM.

SAmadei

Denali Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,986 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 10:52 PM

Oh really? In 4 years you guys will be comparing the Dart unfavorably with its replacement and calling it a POS. No thanks. Pontiac should have stayed Firebird-GTO-Solstice-G8... (and marketed properly)... these will be remembered fondly 20 years later... which is like Dodge with only the Viper, Charger and Challenger.

Edited by SAmadei, 31 January 2012 - 10:54 PM.

dfelt

Ultra Member

• Editor/Reporter
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,679 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 11:16 AM

I wonder if it will be AWD? My son likes the looks and would be willing ot have a Dart SRT4 AWD, otherwise he is going to stick with the tight fitting to large people subaru WRX. :(

Hope America finally gets on this small turbo AWD for better handling idea.

Just think if the Cruze was a performance AWD car or the AWD Terrain had a proper Turbo 4 as the new Terrain Typhoon.

Edited by dfelt, 01 February 2012 - 11:18 AM.

William Maley

Denali Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,129 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 02:41 PM

I wonder if it will be AWD? My son likes the looks and would be willing ot have a Dart SRT4 AWD, otherwise he is going to stick with the tight fitting to large people subaru WRX. :(

I don't know at moment. Trying to think if the Dart's platform can fit an AWD system. For now, I think its safe to assume the Dart SRT4 will be FWD.

black-knight

It's Only a Scratch

• Members
  • 12,907 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 06:04 PM

I don't know at moment. Trying to think if the Dart's platform can fit an AWD system. For now, I think its safe to assume the Dart SRT4 will be FWD.

CSUW (as well as the related C-Evo, D-Evo, C-Wide, and CUSW Plus platforms) can fit an all-wheel drive system.

There's a chance the Dart SRT-4 can be all-wheel drive, but it's more than likely safe to assume it will be front-wheel drive, probably with a limited slip differential.

Edited by black-knight, 01 February 2012 - 06:12 PM.

FAPTurbo

worst c&g mod

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,189 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 06:15 PM

Firebird-GTO-Solstice-G8... (and marketed properly)... these will be remembered fondly 20 years later...

No they won't. What will be remembered is more than a quarter century of lameness and contrived attempts in making lousy W-Bodies look appealing. And horrid design philosophies. And Aztek's.

In contrast, this car will be remembered fondly. Because it's deliciously attractive and sporty. How many Pontiac's since 1973 can use both of those adjectives at the same time?

dfelt

Ultra Member

• Editor/Reporter
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,679 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 07:20 PM

CSUW (as well as the related C-Evo, D-Evo, C-Wide, and CUSW Plus platforms) can fit an all-wheel drive system.

There's a chance the Dart SRT-4 can be all-wheel drive, but it's more than likely safe to assume it will be front-wheel drive, probably with a limited slip differential.

I still think they would have a market for the youth by offering the SRT4 in AWD. Guess am gonna have to start a letter writting campaign. Good thing for computer bots to flood the email of Chrysler ;)

black-knight

It's Only a Scratch

• Members
  • 12,907 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 08:17 PM

Firebird-GTO-Solstice-G8... (and marketed properly)... these will be remembered fondly 20 years later...

No they won't.

I'll agree with SA and say that I think those four particular Pontiacs will be remembered fondly.

The Firebird (including the Trans Am) was the sole model that gave the brand any shred of enthusiast credibility during many of Pontiac's dark years. The Holden-cum-GTO may not have been what buyers were expecting styling-wise, but it proved itself to be a solidly built boulevard-crusing coupe with decent performance and driving dynamics to boot. The Solstice wowed the press, especially in concept form, and arguably became one of the best looking Pontiacs to be built in decades. Yeah, yeah, I know you couldn't stuff a dead body in the trunk without first chopping it's legs and arms off, but that's not why you buy a roadster in the first place. The Solstice GXP also was something of a performance bargain. The G8 also was mostly praised by the press and the GXP version took the title of the fastest Pontiac ever produced.

With depreciation included as a factor, the Firebird/Trans Am and the GTO are seen as performance bargains for what you can pick up a used example for. The same will be true of the G8 and Solstice in a few years.

If there's anything seriously wrong about those four cars is that they weren't advertised properly. Those cars were at the beating heart of the Pontiac brand and GM chose to neglect them. You neglect the heart and it'll stop beating. That's exactly what happened.

Stop and look at the fifth-gen Camaro as an example of what spectacular advertising can do for a car. Facing facts, the first Bay-directed Transformers film was pretty much one long advertisement for the upcoming Camaro that came out two whole years before anyone could actually buy it. Then, when people could buy one, another Transformers film came out.

If the current Camaro was advertised in the same lackluster fashion that GM used for the fourth-gen model as well as Pontiac, I don't think it would be selling 60,000 units a year.

What will be remembered is more than a quarter century of lameness and contrived attempts in making lousy W-Bodies look appealing. And horrid design philosophies. And Aztek's.

Hold up and think in a broader scope for a moment.

Say, for example, you have a very good friend that has passed away. When you think about that friend who used to stick by you through thick and thin when he was alive, you're going to think of all the good times you shared with him and the great things he stood for. You'll think about the postive acomplishments he made when he was still living. You'll choose to remember his best attributes fondly. You won't choose to think about his flaws. You may accept them and maybe even acknowledge them in a conversation, but you'll never focus on them.

... What I'm trying to say though my incoherant rambling is that there are people who don't focus on all of the terrible cars Pontiac has built over the years. They saw Pontiac the same way that you see that good friend. They could see the good the brand had to offer, even when the brand was circling the drain. They aren't exactly denying the bad, they're choosing not to focus on it. After all, no one said you have to let a few bad apples spoil the entire barrel.

The things you've listed are also flaws that in no way spoiled those four cars although they did spoil 80 to 90 percent of the line up.

Going back to styling since it essentially comprised two of your three complaints, when Pontiacs were slathered with washboard cladding, cartoonish front-ends, and random tumorous growths, the Firebird remained mostly unadorned. As I'm sure the resident ex-Opel employee that trolls these forums will explain to you, the problem with the GTO's styling wasn't that it was horribly bland or hideous, it was just growing old. The Solstice was a clean design that relied on proportions to make a bold statement. The G8 was again barnacle-free and rather handsome.

In contrast, this car will be remembered fondly. Because it's deliciously attractive and sporty. How many Pontiac's since 1973 can use both of those adjectives at the same time?

I think it's too early to make this call honestly. The Dart is a great car so far and probably one of the best American compact cars ever built, but it's also a car that we've yet to experience in person.

In any case, this is a thread about a new Dodge and here we are talking about Pontiac. We've been down this road far too many times. Let's live and let die and stop picking scabs only to rub salt in the open wounds. What's the fun in that? (I'm not just directing that at you, but everyone else.)

Edited by black-knight, 01 February 2012 - 08:26 PM.

black-knight

It's Only a Scratch

• Members
  • 12,907 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 08:29 PM

I still think they would have a market for the youth by offering the SRT4 in AWD. Guess am gonna have to start a letter writting campaign. Good thing for computer bots to flood the email of Chrysler ;)

All-wheel drive would be nice, but I'm not sure if it's really needed. The Neon SRT-4 was a strong seller and it was only front-wheel drive.

Dodgefan

`Cuz I'm Awesome

• Admin
  • 23,505 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 09:39 PM

Oh really? In 4 years you guys will be comparing the Dart unfavorably with its replacement and calling it a POS. No thanks. Pontiac should have stayed Firebird-GTO-Solstice-G8... (and marketed properly)... these will be remembered fondly 20 years later... which is like Dodge with only the Viper, Charger and Challenger.

fullmoon97

Red-Line

• Members
  • Pip
  • 136 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 09:54 PM

the dart has a lot going for it. it is the first love child between fiat and Chrysler. that right there will have it remembered for many years. its good looks are a huge improvement over the caliber. and an SRT edition would draw those who thought this was just another econocar in. show me some modern Pontiac with these good looks, this hype, the sport to go with it as well as its history making status and i can say you are right.

Edited by fullmoon97, 01 February 2012 - 09:55 PM.

SAmadei

Denali Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,986 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 10:38 PM

Sure, sure. 1983 C&D Top Ten and MT Car of the Year winner AMC/Renault Alliance. It was talked about all around at the time. Will the Dart win both awards?

I'm not saying the Dart is a bad car... it has one of the best taillight treatments in the last decade, even if its copied from the Charger. I am making a comment that you new-car-fanboys have a VERY short attention span and will move on once something more shiny comes along.

I made the comment. I stand by it. C&G, Internet Archive and Google have archived it. We've revisit in 4~5 years and 20 years to see how it pans out.

Turbojett

OSV Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,153 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 10:55 PM

I'd have to disagree. we knew the Caliber was crap when it came out because it was a (bad) attempt at making a mini Magnum. We knew it was ugly. That's why it didn't sell. We knew the Sunfire and Grand Am weren't going to sell. we were all disappointed/frustrated when the G6 came out looking incredibly boring and nothing like the concept.
We do however know what the Giulietta is like it's been tested by several media outlets; it's gotten favorable reviews. We do know that this is an arguably attractive design (As opposed to the Caliber which is arguably NOT), that is similar to another car (Charger) that has a measure of attractiveness.
Look at a Charger. Sure, it's not a '62 Ferrari 250 GT, or a Jaguar E-Type but yet at the same time one is drawn to it because it has its own visual appeal. The Dart borrows some of that, and then struts its own stuff. true we don't know if the Dart will turn out to be a total piece, but it looks far more promising than any Caliberneonshadow that came before it. Compared to its predecessors, you see my point on the Dart, don't you?

Producing ONLY Firebird/G8/Solstice/GTO would not have been a viable alternative for Pontiac. That would have made it too niche, and would have seriously hurt its sales chances, especially if it's limited to sports cars like this (which, don't forget, tend to be rather expensive). Pontiac needed viable mainstream vehicles to keep it afloat. The problem is they could have made a compact and small-midsizer that could still be sporty instead of just "look" sporty and just be a crappy Aveo underneath (and just barely underneath, remember?) Pontiac could have made competitive product that could be mainstream and affordable, but they didn't because:
..bombshell..
GM didn't give a $h!. they thought they were invincible. They thought they could sell subpar product and stay on top of the heap forever and ever. but then when it hit the fan, their countermeasures were too little too late. this is why we don't have a Pontiac anymore.

And I'm hardly a new-car fanboy. I'll point out for instance, that I still own an almost seven year old Cobalt (that I baby to death, mind you) and dislike Cruzes. I still own a 15 year old Camaro, and while i still want a new one, I'm not willing to give up my old one (It's like my firstborn son).

Edited by Turbojett, 01 February 2012 - 10:59 PM.

Turbojett

OSV Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,153 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 11:02 PM

the dart has a lot going for it. it is the first love child between fiat and Chrysler. that right there will have it remembered for many years. its good looks are a huge improvement over the caliber. and an SRT edition would draw those who thought this was just another econocar in. show me some modern Pontiac with these good looks, this hype, the sport to go with it as well as its history making status and i can say you are right.

Posted Image
well, it does fit your criteria.
It's just a shame that this alone couldn't save Pontiac.

Edited by Turbojett, 01 February 2012 - 11:03 PM.

fullmoon97

Red-Line

• Members
  • Pip
  • 136 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 11:13 PM

Sure, sure. 1983 C&D Top Ten and MT Car of the Year winner AMC/Renault Alliance. It was talked about all around at the time. Will the Dart win both awards?

I'm not saying the Dart is a bad car... it has one of the best taillight treatments in the last decade, even if its copied from the Charger. I am making a comment that you new-car-fanboys have a VERY short attention span and will move on once something more shiny comes along.

I made the comment. I stand by it. C&G, Internet Archive and Google have archived it. We've revisit in 4~5 years and 20 years to see how it pans out.

ok not sure you should group everyone in that category. i dont wet myself every time a new car comes along. i mean sheesh i am in love with my Intrepid. can i see myself buying and loving the Dart? yea, but i love old just as much as i love new.

as far as the solstice comparing to the dart i think thats the closest Pontiac will get but its still not close enough for me. it does not have the history behind it. sure its got looks and power but honestly i dont even see myself talking about it today and Pontiac has been gone for a few years. i think people will look back on the dart and say wow that was a good car. thats my opinion.

Edited by fullmoon97, 01 February 2012 - 11:13 PM.

FAPTurbo

worst c&g mod

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,189 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 11:30 PM

Sorry, we can't help beating a dead horse.

Because it's funny.

And 'new car fanboys!?' That's funny! We're not 'new car fanboys.' We're 'good car fanboys!'

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users