• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

pow

Ultra Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,370 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 10:16 PM

Nice worthy upgrades! Makes the Lambdas more relevant.

black-knight

It's Only a Scratch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,907 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 02:57 AM

Oh, and I still stand by my earlier comment that the Saturn Outlook donated its shell to the Acadia's MCE (look at the wrap-around rear glass for proof).

It seems that Roger might be right. GM dusted off the Outlook and made it into a new Acadia.

Here's the rear-quarter view of the Outlook:
Posted Image

Here's the rear-quarter view of the Acadia, pre-2013:
Posted Image

Here's the rear-quarter view of the 2013 Acadia:
Posted Image

Aside from the obvious wrap-around rear glass, the rear quarter panels, liftgate, and shape of the taillights are all pretty much the same as what you got on the Saturn.

Edited by black-knight, 09 February 2012 - 02:58 AM.

dfelt

Ultra Member

• Editor/Reporter
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,678 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 11:25 AM

Oh, and I still stand by my earlier comment that the Saturn Outlook donated its shell to the Acadia's MCE (look at the wrap-around rear glass for proof).

It seems that Roger might be right. GM dusted off the Outlook and made it into a new Acadia.

Here's the rear-quarter view of the Outlook:
Posted Image

Here's the rear-quarter view of the Acadia, pre-2013:
Posted Image

Here's the rear-quarter view of the 2013 Acadia:
Posted Image

Aside from the obvious wrap-around rear glass, the rear quarter panels, liftgate, and shape of the taillights are all pretty much the same as what you got on the Saturn.

WOW, thanks for the comparison pictures, it does have the saturn, but with better tail lights and a much better nose. :P

Still Love the new Acadia even if it is a dust off of old parts. :D

black-knight

It's Only a Scratch

• Members
  • 12,907 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 12:29 PM

Come to think of it, I have to wonder if some the dirty parts of the Outlook's interior formed the basis for the new Acadia's interior.

GMTruckGuy74

Ultra Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,399 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 02:01 PM

Thanks for the comparison pictures black-knight, it does appear I was correct in my statement :)

The interior seems to be all-new, or a mix of old and new (I can't say it appears to be Outlook leftovers). The dash gauge looks similar to the current Sierra's basic (work) dash.

Cubical-aka-Moltar

American Cubicle Dweller

• Premium Subscriber
  • 22,547 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 03:20 PM

The Outlook squared fenders do better w/ GMC themes in general than the rounded ones, I think. Still not sure on the nose..will have to see one in person eventually.

black-knight

It's Only a Scratch

• Members
  • 12,907 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 04:10 PM

Thanks for the comparison pictures black-knight, it does appear I was correct in my statement :)

The interior seems to be all-new, or a mix of old and new (I can't say it appears to be Outlook leftovers). The dash gauge looks similar to the current Sierra's basic (work) dash.

While it looks different, I think at least the new center IP was definitely based around the skeleton of what we had in the Outlook. For example, notice how the old Acadia's interior didn't have a pop-up storage section. The Outlook, on the other hand, had one and for 2013 the Acadia does as well. Also notice how the old Acadia had three, tall center HVAC vents and has changed over to a simple two vent design, like the Outlook. That suggests to me that perhaps the center HVAC ducts are similar to, if not the same as, the Outlook's.

The instrument cluster and IC hood is pretty much the same as the old Acadia's, though.

2013 GMC Acadia Denali interior:
Posted Image

2007 Saturn Outlook interior:
Posted Image

2007 GMC Acadia interior:
Posted Image

FAPTurbo

worst c&g mod

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,189 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 04:33 PM

Clever idea by GM and the end-result is pretty good looking too.

Naturally the feckless morons on Autoblog and other outlets say this is 'rebadging.'

67impss

OSV Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,313 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 04:55 PM

I like it and am glad GM was using what had wilted on the vine and we ended up with such a nice Acadia. But this begs for the answer to the Zeta question once AGAIN! Why oh why has it been left to ROT as it has? If we can get this for just a short time we could have had a Chevy Zeta for at least 4 years now and have grown a market for RWD Chevy's. I say sell all bodies and ship them over offer the wagon and ute and see what the take is then you could've had a bit of an idea of what to expect. I don't know anymore with GM, other than trucks 95% of volume will be FWD and that's how they like it. I'm not so sure that Chevy will shake out to even be the kind of car I'd buy anymore at least I have time before I could get back into the hunt again. I was expecting to see Chevy pick up for Pontiac in performance and with higher end cars like the Bonneville plus get some RWD cars added. How long must we hold our breath with GM's media blackout. Kids don't want cars and GM is running the faithful off as the boomers are aging and able to buy.

Cubical-aka-Moltar

American Cubicle Dweller

• Premium Subscriber
  • 22,547 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 07:48 PM

. I don't know anymore with GM, other than trucks 95% of volume will be FWD and that's how they like it.

That's how it's been since 1997....GM, like Ford, Toyota, Hyundai, etc is primarily a FWD appliance maker...any RWD models are just occasional low volume desserts...

dfelt

Ultra Member

• Editor/Reporter
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,678 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 10:03 PM

. I don't know anymore with GM, other than trucks 95% of volume will be FWD and that's how they like it.

That's how it's been since 1997....GM, like Ford, Toyota, Hyundai, etc is primarily a FWD appliance maker...any RWD models are just occasional low volume desserts...

+1 :thumbsup:

black-knight

It's Only a Scratch

• Members
  • 12,907 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 10:29 PM

My advice regarding GM's commitment to beige? That's easy. Root for GM, support Chrysler.

Yeah, yeah I know. GM has to build cars for people other than enthusiasts, blah, blah, frickin' blah. Well, Chrysler found a way to build cars that not only appeal to our fellow moron--err--mainstream countrymen but also appeal to diehard petrolheads like many of us here. When you realize Chrysler is a smaller company than GM as well and somehow making it all work, you have to wonder what's GM's excuse?

Don't get me wrong. I'm still keeping a close eye on what GM does with the Alpha and Omega platforms, but I have my doubts a car like the Code 130R concept will wonder into showrooms since it's pretty much just me that likes it.

Anyway, back to the Acadia.

Edited by black-knight, 09 February 2012 - 10:31 PM.

JamesBond

Nobody Does it Better

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,812 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 12:33 AM

The outlook was the best looking from the grille back. Glad to see cues reappearing.

SAmadei

Denali Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,986 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 12:43 AM

I'd rather see GM reuse the G8 body... or the '06 GTO... or the '02 Firebird... or a '69 Camaro.

Its amazing the technicalities GM attempts to use to avoid the 'rebadge' label... but its just a rebadge to me.

Cubical-aka-Moltar

American Cubicle Dweller

• Premium Subscriber
  • 22,547 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 08:54 AM

Its amazing the technicalities GM attempts to use to avoid the 'rebadge' label... but its just a rebadge to me.

Well, since the Outlook is out of production, no big deal. Now if the Acacia and Outlook were in production together w/ this body, then a rebadge might be an issue...but the sheeple probably wouldn't notice or care.

dfelt

Ultra Member

• Editor/Reporter
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,678 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 10:44 AM

I agree with Moltar, there are so few if any of the outlook there to be seen that this is NOT a rebadge issue. So I think GMC will have a winner on their hands.

SAmadei

Denali Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,986 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 05:32 PM

Well, since the Outlook is out of production, no big deal. Now if the Acacia and Outlook were in production together w/ this body, then a rebadge might be an issue...but the sheeple probably wouldn't notice or care.

GM repo'd all the Saturn Outlooks on the road? Otherwise they are going to be parked next to each other at Walmart.

black-knight

It's Only a Scratch

• Members
  • 12,907 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 07:07 PM

It's official: GM admits the refreshed Acadia's rear side glass, liftgate spoiler and glass, and rear quarter panels are all shared with the Outlook.

GM repo'd all the Saturn Outlooks on the road? Otherwise they are going to be parked next to each other at Walmart.

I wouldn't make a big deal over it. I doubt a casual buyer will notice which parts are the same.

I think GM actually did a pretty smart thing here. This was a highly effective way to overhaul the Acadia's exterior with a very small investment. The tooling was already there and the old Acadia would've looked out of place in the current GMC lineup with just a new grille. The new Acadia's styling changes borrowed from the Outlook bring it more in line with GMC's current offerings and, coincidentally, make it appear like something of a "big brother" to the Terrain (the square wheel openings and wrap-around rear glass). There's no denying the Outlook was the sharpest of the Lambda CUVs from a rear three-quarter view, either.

This also allows GM to recoup some of the costs that were spent on the Outlook's tooling. GM only sold something like a total of 70,000 Outlooks during it's four year production run. On the other hand, GM sold about 70,000 Acadias in 2007 alone, so yeah. This one's kinda obvious.

EDIT: Thinking about it, this was a very American Motors-like decision for GM.

Edited by black-knight, 10 February 2012 - 08:05 PM.

Cubical-aka-Moltar

American Cubicle Dweller

• Premium Subscriber
  • 22,547 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 08:07 PM

Well, badge-engineering is certainly nothing new to GMC--they've spent decades selling trucks and SUVs badge-engineered from Chevys...only recently have they started having any substantive differentiation.

Z-06

Ultra Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,880 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 08:23 AM

Well, badge-engineering is certainly nothing new to GMC--they've spent decades selling trucks and SUVs badge-engineered from Chevys...only recently have they started having any substantive differentiation.

Aren't you stretching the definition of badge engineering here?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users