Denali Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,137 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 02:03 PM

William Maley
Editor/Reporter - CheersandGears.com
February 10, 2012

Earlier this week, Fisker announced they had temporarily halted work on Nina family sedan at the Fisker Automotive plant in Wilmington, Del. The temporary halt is due to Fisker and the federal government hashing out new terms of the company’s $529 million Department of Energy loan. The halt has caused Fisker to layoff 26 people at its Delaware plant and a number of contract engineers at Fisker's Anaheim, Calif., headquarters.

So why is the federal government and Fisker renegotiating details about the loan? Well, the Department of Energy’s load had certain deadlines, or milestones for Fisker to meet with Karma plug-in hybrid. Fisker failed to meet those deadlines and the department required modification of the terms of the loan to incorporate new deadlines for the company's second car, the Nina.

"DOE loan-modification negotiations are fairly standard procedure. We have to deliver on certain milestones, and we didn't hit all our targets with the Karma. This is a relatively ordinary series of events," said Fisker spokesman Roger Ormisher.

So far, Fisker has used Fisker has used $193 million of the $529 million government loan, mostly for the Karma. The remaining amount will go towards the new Nina.

Source: Autoweek

Click here to view the article

ocnblu

C&G's Boldest Member

• Premium Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,613 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 08:29 PM

LOL

balthazar

Yoda of Vintage cars

• Members
  • 13,783 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 09:18 PM

BigGov't sure can't seem to call many of these 'green energy' investments right.

ocnblu

C&G's Boldest Member

• Premium Subscriber
  • 28,613 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 06:42 AM

It makes me dance around the room in birthday clothes holding a phantom microphone reading something like this. *POOF*

§carlet §wordfish

OSV Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,925 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 10:33 AM

Why? Why do you have to be such a dick about electirc cars? We all know you don't like them and you'd never want to drive one. Well I'd never want to drive some giant V8 RWD car. I'd like to own an electric car someday. Why are you so against there being cars that people like me want to drive?

Edited by §carlet §wordfish, 11 February 2012 - 10:43 AM.

Drew Dowdell

Unimatrix 01

• Admin
  • 30,374 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 10:42 AM

Why? Why do you have to be such a dick about electirc cars?

ocnblu

C&G's Boldest Member

• Premium Subscriber
  • 28,613 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 01:23 PM

It's time to face reality, for Christ's sake.

balthazar

Yoda of Vintage cars

• Members
  • 13,783 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 01:46 PM

I, for one, am not at all against electric cars. More choice is (usually) always better (I'd like to see steam, too). My statement wasn't against the cars (which was perfectly clear in my post), but against taxpayer money going into poorly vetted business cases.

Drew Dowdell

Unimatrix 01

• Admin
  • 30,374 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 01:54 PM

It's time to face reality, for Christ's sake.

How many car companies went under before the golden age of the automobile in the 20's.... or in the 50's?
How many new technologies were tried and failed back then till someone found the right combination?

The transverse 4-cylinder, front wheel drive car was invented in 1901 but failed... we didn't see another one until the 1970s!

Cubical-aka-Moltar

American Cubicle Dweller

• Premium Subscriber
  • 22,548 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 02:05 PM

The transverse 4-cylinder, front wheel drive car was invented in 1901 but failed... we didn't see another one until the 1970s!

Interesting...I thought that configuration was invented in '59 w/ the original Mini.

ocnblu

C&G's Boldest Member

• Premium Subscriber
  • 28,613 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 02:27 PM

Scarlet, aspire to a Prius C if that is your bent. It's small, cheeky, hybrid, inexpensive to buy, and real.

Drew Dowdell

Unimatrix 01

• Admin
  • 30,374 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 02:36 PM

Interesting...I thought that configuration was invented in '59 w/ the original Mini.

I actually plan to do an article on it.

balthazar

Yoda of Vintage cars

• Members
  • 13,783 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 02:48 PM

few things in automotive history are as recent as one would think

§carlet §wordfish

OSV Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,925 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 05:49 PM

Scarlet, aspire to a Prius C if that is your bent. It's small, cheeky, hybrid, inexpensive to buy, and real.

No, I want to have as much variety in electric cars available to me as there is in gas powered cars. FWD, RWD, full size, midsize, compact, sedans, coupes, roadsters, crossovers, pickups, econoboxes to ulrtra-luxes.

Edited by §carlet §wordfish, 11 February 2012 - 05:53 PM.

ocnblu

C&G's Boldest Member

• Premium Subscriber
  • 28,613 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 06:36 PM

Dreams.

§carlet §wordfish

OSV Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,925 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 07:01 PM

Just because I don't want the same kind of car you like, doesn't me I think the cars you like should't exist. Why do you so hate the idea of freedom of choice in electric vehicles?

Edited by §carlet §wordfish, 11 February 2012 - 07:02 PM.

Drew Dowdell

Unimatrix 01

• Admin
  • 30,374 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 07:29 PM

I want an Electronado

ocnblu

C&G's Boldest Member

• Premium Subscriber
  • 28,613 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 08:19 PM

You'll have to give up a lot of freedom of mobility to own such a dorkmobile. Why punish yourself?

Drew Dowdell

Unimatrix 01

• Admin
  • 30,374 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 08:23 PM

You'll have to give up a lot of freedom of mobility to own such a dorkmobile. Why punish yourself?

I drive it no more than 5,000 miles a year as is... The outward appearance wouldn't change, so how would no visual change + instant torque = dork mobile?

Plus, even with twice the battery pack, I'd still have more trunk room than most vehicles out there today.

67impss

OSV Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,313 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 09:19 PM

Olds If you have the room then why not find a nice example and convert it. I'm gonna do my project and I'll post the Ideas I have and bounce it off you guys. It will be diesel and my first foray into the Mopar side. Ive seen almost everything converted electric so it's easier than you'd think. Only the battery purchase is very costly.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users