Build Theme!

Photo

Afterthoughts: Where Are The Dream Concept Cars?

25 replies to this topic

67impss

OSV Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,311 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 06:23 AM

dfelt why would you want the weight of the drive motors in the wheels? the weight of the car is already on them but if you put the motor weight in the unsprung weight then you have to dampen that weight and the car will handle like crap. The ball joints will wear I'd think torque steer would be greater ect... C/F wheels may negate some of those problems but I don'tsee this for quite some time down the road.

Cubical-aka-Moltar

American Cubicle Dweller

• Premium Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,528 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 08:14 AM

We've seen the bmw conceptually before :

Posted Image

That's just one detail...the glass door inserts have been around at least since the Lamborghini Marzal concept of around 1970. The BMW concept is as futuristic and strange relative to today's production cars as the finned fantasies of your decade were to the production cars then...

dfelt why would you want the weight of the drive motors in the wheels? the weight of the car is already on them but if you put the motor weight in the unsprung weight then you have to dampen that weight and the car will handle like crap. The ball joints will wear I'd think torque steer would be greater ect... C/F wheels may negate some of those problems but I don'tsee this for quite some time down the road.

It would reduce the center of gravity, probably have better handling...lots of concepts and mfgrs have been looking at motors in the wheels...it wouldn't surprise me to see a production car in the next decade w/ electric motors in the wheels...

§carlet §wordfish

OSV Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,922 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 09:59 AM

I challange people to take a letter from our Alphabet and design an auto around that letters shape. We can truly deliver many stunning designs that I believe would inspire new ways to model auto's especially if you do not have to have the engine in the front or rear.

As a student of graphic design but a lover of car design, this is something I'd like to do if I had the chance.

§carlet §wordfish

OSV Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,922 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 10:05 AM

This is nothing new, been this way for some time now.

This society has forgotten how to dream.

We're just dreaming about different things nowadays.

If only that were true.

Sadly, it isn't.

Instead of dreaming about the future, we now squabble over equal shares of a declining standard of living - and pat ourselves on the back about how fair we are being to everyone.

It's disgusting.

But it is true. Just because it isn't manifested in physical styling exercises at auto shows, doesn't mean imagination in general is stagnant. People's imaginations are running wilder than ever, you just need to look in places you never have before or wouldn't expect.

dfelt

Ultra Member

• Editor/Reporter
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,504 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 10:18 AM

We've seen the bmw conceptually before :

Posted Image

That's just one detail...the glass door inserts have been around at least since the Lamborghini Marzal concept of around 1970. The BMW concept is as futuristic and strange relative to today's production cars as the finned fantasies of your decade were to the production cars then...

It would reduce the center of gravity, probably have better handling...lots of concepts and mfgrs have been looking at motors in the wheels...it wouldn't surprise me to see a production car in the next decade w/ electric motors in the wheels...

With Motors in the Wheels, not only do you have the added weight on the wheels for better traction both on road and off, you can truly become creative in the body design of the auto. Think of the ability to go rock climbing in your new Rubicon where each wheel has maximum traction and torque due to the engine being in the wheels compared to a high center of gravity with greater roll over possibilities.

I can envision an auto body that sits up 48" taller than where the wheels are and the weight is all down low to keep the wheels connecting with the ground. The arms going from these motorized wheels could be hydrolic up to the body with the ability to raise or lower it to your liking for better visability.

Think of the flexibility you would have being able to have sports car hugging properties with Offroad capabilities without loosing traction.

Camino LS6

Head Skunk of the Underground

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,853 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 05:53 PM

This is nothing new, been this way for some time now.

This society has forgotten how to dream.

We're just dreaming about different things nowadays.

If only that were true.

Sadly, it isn't.

Instead of dreaming about the future, we now squabble over equal shares of a declining standard of living - and pat ourselves on the back about how fair we are being to everyone.

It's disgusting.

But it is true. Just because it isn't manifested in physical styling exercises at auto shows, doesn't mean imagination in general is stagnant. People's imaginations are running wilder than ever, you just need to look in places you never have before or wouldn't expect.

We'll just have to agree to disagree, I guess. And I'm not just talking about show cars.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users