Denali Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,050 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 10:37 AM

William Maley
Editor/Reporter - CheersandGears.com
February 23, 2012

Ford's 1.0L three-cylinder EcoBoost is an interesting engine. Using a turbocharger and some other tech, the engine produces an amazing 123 HP. But there could be more power lying in that engine.

Autocar spoke with the vehicle line director for the Focus, Gunnar Herrmann. They asked Herrmann if more power could be made with the 1.0L EcoBoost.

“It’s a stretch, but possible,” said Herrmann.

Rumor has it Ford is testing a 1.0L EcoBoost with an electric supercharger taking the place of the small turbo and a turbo from the 1.6L EcoBoost. Power is said to be 177 HP.

This version is expected to sit between the base Focus and the hot ST.

Source: Autocar

Click here to view the article

Drew Dowdell

Unimatrix 01

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,252 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 10:38 AM

I see a timing belt. DO NOT WANT!

dfelt

Ultra Member

• Editor/Reporter
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,504 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 01:06 PM

The image blown up looks like you could bore the engine out to go to bigger pistons. Yet with the timming belt, I wonder just how far you could really push this engine without killing the life of it.

I also wonder how expensive it will be to replace that timming belt every 60K miles.

I see pros and cons on this engine. Be interesting to see if they can have it last at least 240K miles.

dwightlooi

OSV Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,631 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 04:21 PM

Well, two things...

(1) I have always been a fan of turbocharged threes. It has lower parasitic loss vs a four cylinder of equivalent displacement or output. Also, unlike a four, no dual scroll turbo is needed, hence turbocharging them is not only cheaper but also more efficient.

(2) Timing belts are more efficient than timing chains -- probably amounting to 1/2 mpg in an engine of this class. Timing belts are also quieter. One "good" thing about being a turbocharged engine is that if the belt snaps, the car will at worst leave you stranded but will not ruin the engine -- being this engine will probably have a compression ratio of 9.8 or less meaning it won't be an interference motor.

daves87rs

The +1 Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,063 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 10:47 PM

I see a timing belt. DO NOT WANT!

+1!!!!!!!

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users