• Please log in to reply
93 replies to this topic

hyperv6

Ultra Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,568 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 04:05 PM

GM is kind of moving things around with the new models so keep expecting changes is size. Don't forget the RWD Sports Sedan still to come too.

I think in time the Malibu and Cruze may be folded into one model. The Chevy fleet is getting crowded with all these sedans Sonic, Cruze, Malibu, Impala and Sports sedan. I could see two merging to one in the next gen. All of them will get smaller over time and there is only so much room.

Well, each fills a specific segment--subcompact, compact, midsize, fullsize, speciality. The first 4 segments (as FWD models) is the standard approach taken by most full-line mainstream automakers...Ford, Hyundai, Kia, Toyota, and Nissan do it (and VW outside NA).

Yes for now but as the 54.5 CAFE comes I see them all shrinking unless they find that missing silver bullet. At some point I see some models from many companies may be phased out as they will be too crowded.

As for your SS... It is coming and you will be glad it was not an Impala. It will be of SS power not ZL1.

Edited by hyperv6, 04 April 2012 - 04:07 PM.

Drew Dowdell

Unimatrix 01

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,368 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 04:07 PM

No, they won't shrink, they'll be on SlimFast. The new CAFE is less harsh on vehicles with bigger footprints.

hyperv6

Ultra Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,568 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 04:09 PM

Not getting warm fuzzies about the dash design or steering wheel..they same very busy, there is a mix of current Malibu, Camaro and MKS elements sort of in there..

as always, much better in person.

Olds. Size compared to the Lacrosse. Is it very similar of does it have any more length and width. It is hard to tell from the photo's. I expect it to be similar but the photo's make it look wider and longer.

Drew Dowdell

Unimatrix 01

• Admin
  • 30,368 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 04:14 PM

Width is the same, Longer overall. Same footprint as XTS.

The grill and lights really help make the car look wider.

Cubical-aka-Moltar

American Cubicle Dweller

• Premium Subscriber
  • 22,547 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 04:15 PM

Olds. Size compared to the Lacrosse. Is it very similar of does it have any more length and width. It is hard to tell from the photo's. I expect it to be similar but the photo's make it look wider and longer.

Same wheelbase, but w/ about 4.x inches more overhang. Same width..
2012 LaX Curb Weight (FWD) 3835 lbs 3835 lbs Curb Weight (AWD) N/A N/A Front Track Width 61.7 in 61.7 in Overall Height 59.2 in 59.2 in Overall Length 196.9 in 196.9 in Overall Width 73.1 in 73.1 in Rear Track Width 62.0 in 62.0 in Wheelbase 111.7 in 111.7 in
2014 Impala
According to GM:
Wheelbase (in / mm):
111.7 / 2837
Overall length (in / mm):
201.3 / 5113
Overall width (in / mm):
73 / 1854
Overall height (in / mm):
58.9 / 1496
Track (in / mm):
front: 62.2 / 1580 ; rear: 62 / 1576
Curb weight (lb / kg):
3800 / 1723 (est. – LT model w/ V-6)

ocnblu

C&G's Boldest Member

• Premium Subscriber
  • 28,611 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 05:05 PM

The floor shots confirm it: this car is off the chain. I am not a sedan person, but I would drive this, rollin' up on 20s. Scorcher!

This is what Impala was in its heyday, a family sedan with a sporty flair. The mojo is back.

CanadianBacon94

GXP Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 785 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 05:10 PM

So this car has the same head designer as the old impala

John Cafaro, those, along with the C-5 corvette, though i haven't checked he's probably more of a figure head "head designer" of the whole brand.

FAPTurbo

worst c&g mod

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,189 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 05:23 PM

Seriously? The old car looks like it was conceived on a Country Kitchen Buffet napkin during the 5:30 senior special.

CanadianBacon94

GXP Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 785 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 05:33 PM

Seriously? The old car looks like it was conceived on a Country Kitchen Buffet napkin during the 5:30 senior special.

Well, based on a little bit of google,he definitely did the 2000-2005 one, and it seems as though he was responsible for the current one

Drew Dowdell

Unimatrix 01

• Admin
  • 30,368 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 06:11 PM

Remember what he was working with guys... it's not like he had a completely clean slate on the W-body. The Epsilon II isn't a clean slate, but it is a much more flexible one.

ehaase

OSV Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,304 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 07:38 PM

I think in time the Malibu and Cruze may be folded into one model. The Chevy fleet is getting crowded with all these sedans Sonic, Cruze, Malibu, Impala and Sports sedan. I could see two merging to one in the next gen. All of them will get smaller over time and there is only so much room.

The Delta platform Cruze and Verano turned out so well that it would be hard for me to justify the purchase of a short wheelbase Epsilon II Malibu or Regal. The Verano is quite a substantial looking car that just needs 2 or 3 more mpg.

The new Impala looks nice but to my eyes it is a modernized version of the current car. I couldn't imagine buying one with the 2.5. 31 mpg highway is barely higher than what much more powerful V6's in this class are getting.

hyperv6

Ultra Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,568 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 07:39 PM

Same wheelbase, but w/ about 4.x inches more overhang. Same width..
2012 LaX Curb Weight (FWD) 3835 lbs 3835 lbs Curb Weight (AWD) N/A N/A Front Track Width 61.7 in 61.7 in Overall Height 59.2 in 59.2 in Overall Length 196.9 in 196.9 in Overall Width 73.1 in 73.1 in Rear Track Width 62.0 in 62.0 in Wheelbase 111.7 in 111.7 in
2014 Impala
According to GM:
Wheelbase (in / mm):
111.7 / 2837
Overall length (in / mm):
201.3 / 5113
Overall width (in / mm):
73 / 1854
Overall height (in / mm):
58.9 / 1496
Track (in / mm):
front: 62.2 / 1580 ; rear: 62 / 1576
Curb weight (lb / kg):
3800 / 1723 (est. – LT model w/ V-6)

Thanks!

smk4565

Ultra Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,487 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 07:43 PM

I like the grille, and the front overall looks good, but the headlights are too small and plain, and does remind me of a Honda Crosstour or an Acura TL from 2004. I wish they did something more than with the headlights to make the car stand out. The back looks like a Jetta or Sonata sort of, nothing new there, it doesn't even have a Chevy feel to it. Not a fan of the sweepsphere thing from the back door over the rear wheels, but I guess they felt they needed something to stand out.

Interior looks nice for the class, but a little busy, I don't like the dual cockpit thing and how you have light tan over the gaugues, then dark brown behind that then light brown. It is if they wanted to copy the Jaguar XJ interior, but couldn't execute it right. Engines make sense although 195 to 303 hp is a big gap with nothing in between.

Overall a solid B.

PONTIAC06

GXP Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 822 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 07:44 PM

Still not sure about the new mug, but whereas on the Traverse I just saw a clean blandness, here I see Camaro+Volkswagen...looks better here, but overall this is a HUGE improvement and I'll give it my tentative stamp of approval

hyperv6

Ultra Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,568 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 07:46 PM

John Cafaro, those, along with the C-5 corvette, though i haven't checked he's probably more of a figure head "head designer" of the whole brand.

Cafaro as a long and impressive history. Too often he was limited and restricted by GM.

John did a lot of the work on the Fiero under John Schinella. Some of his drawings were amazing but GM never let them really ever come to life. I got to speak with him years ago in Detroit. He is an interesting guy to listen to.

Many of the designers of the 80's till the time Lutzs showed up were hamstrung. They could not and would not be permited to do what they thought was right or could do. Once Lutz tore up the rule book he opened the door to let them do what they could do best.

Check out the hood line at the front of this car. It is as tight of a gap as I have ever seen on a GM car.

We must remember most of this car was done under Lutz and he supported his designers unlike past GM managers.

hyperv6

Ultra Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,568 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 07:49 PM

The Delta platform Cruze and Verano turned out so well that it would be hard for me to justify the purchase of a short wheelbase Epsilon II Malibu or Regal. The Verano is quite a substantial looking car that just needs 2 or 3 more mpg.

The new Impala looks nice but to my eyes it is a modernized version of the current car. I couldn't imagine buying one with the 2.5. 31 mpg highway is barely higher than what much more powerful V6's in this class are getting.

This is my thinking. Unless they find a different way to make these cars different the Cruze and Verano price and quality wise really offer nearly as much.

To me from what I saw on the Impala and Verano I would have a hard time buying a Malibu. A little more gets you a lot more car and a little less will get you a nicer interior in a better looking package.

I just see the Malibu getting lost here.

smk4565

Ultra Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,487 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 07:56 PM

I think what I don't like most about it, is that isn't very original. As many have stated it looks like a lot of other cars. And maybe that is a safe way to go for the target market of the middle-America older buyer, but nothing really wows me about this car. I like the Taurus interior more and that it has an Ecoboost 4 and a V6, but other than that I guess the Taurus is pretty boring too.

I am more impressed with the Altima, 38 mpg beats the Malibu Eco and I like the Altima interior more than the Impala interior. The Altima looks like a serious player in the midsize segment, the Impala to me just doesn't do enough to stand out.

smk4565

Ultra Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,487 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 08:01 PM

I just see the Malibu getting lost here.

The Malibu Eco just finished 6th our of 6 in a family sedan comparison in Car and Driver. And that didn't include the 2013 Altima or Fusion. The Malibu is probably only the 8th best mid-size sedan and possibly 9th with a revised Subaru Legacy on the way too. So I would agree that the Malibu could easily be lost in the shuffle.

Drew Dowdell

Unimatrix 01

• Admin
  • 30,368 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 08:15 PM

You know... I am not to worried about the Impala having a 195hp 4-cylinder. The old 3800s had that or less horsepower too and they did fine with a 4-speed. If someone needs more power, option into the V6. Though, I would say that the 2 liter diesel unit from the Cruze with its 260 ft-lb of torque and some special gearing could make for a very interesting Impala Eco-D model.

vonVeezelsnider

Denali Member

• Premium Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,240 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 08:38 PM

The old 3800s had way more than 180lb-ft of torque though, and they were lighter. I'd have to drive one but tentatively I'd be ticking the V6 box.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users