New York 2012: 2014 Chevrolet Impala: Comments

I wonder if we will see an Impala SS version eventually to compete w/ the Taurus SHO.

There is something else coming that will compete with the SHO.... and by compete, I mean blow it out of the water.

The long rumored RWD Holden Commodore-based Chevy 'SS' I presume...or a performance version of the Impala? :scratchchin:

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

I like many here am stunned by how nice a car this is. Both interior and exterior are amazing and Likable compared to the bastard child the Impala has been over the years.

My question is why now? With the malibu and the rest of the car lineup, I have always wondered by GM keeps this car around and even now that they actually built an amazing looking 4 door, yet how does it really fit into the family? This car is in many ways from the size equal to the malibu.

I see this stealing sales away from the malibu family lineup and and taking a few from others. I always thought the Malibu was to compete with the Taurus and now you have people saying this will compete. Does it not seem that Chevy has two cars in the same segment?

The one thing I hate on this car is the busy wheels that will be a pain in the ass to keep clean.

Malibu = Fusion. Impala = Taurus This has not changed.

Keep in mind the Malibu is now Regal size and shorter hence less rear seat room. This car is more XTS sized and will have a lot more interior room. It will also be wider. The interior and trunk will prove to set the size of this car appart.

If you ever were in the back of the new Regal and the new Lacrosse you will understand the difference.

Thanks Hyper, good to know this as I did not pick it up when I was last on a chevy lot with the older models. Just seemed to be two cars with different names for the longet time that you start to ignor them.

GM is kind of moving things around with the new models so keep expecting changes is size. Don't forget the RWD Sports Sedan still to come too.

I think in time the Malibu and Cruze may be folded into one model. The Chevy fleet is getting crowded with all these sedans Sonic, Cruze, Malibu, Impala and Sports sedan. I could see two merging to one in the next gen. All of them will get smaller over time and there is only so much room.

GM is kind of moving things around with the new models so keep expecting changes is size. Don't forget the RWD Sports Sedan still to come too.

I think in time the Malibu and Cruze may be folded into one model. The Chevy fleet is getting crowded with all these sedans Sonic, Cruze, Malibu, Impala and Sports sedan. I could see two merging to one in the next gen. All of them will get smaller over time and there is only so much room.

Well, each fills a specific segment--subcompact, compact, midsize, fullsize, speciality. The first 4 segments (as FWD models) is the standard approach taken by most full-line mainstream automakers...Ford, Hyundai, Kia, Toyota, and Nissan do it (and VW outside NA).

Cubical-aka-Moltar, on , said:

I wonder if we will see an Impala SS version eventually to compete w/ the Taurus SHO.

There is something else coming that will compete with the SHO.... and by compete, I mean blow it out of the water.

the long-rumored LaCrosse GS? :P

I'm hoping for the mythical Holden Commodore-based Chevy SS in regular SS (Camaro SS engine spec) and ZL1 versions (Camaro ZL1 engine spec). .. :)

The long rumored RWD Holden Commodore-based Chevy 'SS' I presume...or a performance version of the Impala? :scratchchin:

It will not wear the impala name

Well, each fills a specific segment--subcompact, compact, midsize, fullsize, speciality. The first 4 segments (as FWD models) is the standard approach taken by most full-line mainstream automakers...Ford, Hyundai, Kia, Toyota, and Nissan do it (and VW outside NA).

Yes for now but as the 54.5 CAFE comes I see them all shrinking unless they find that missing silver bullet. At some point I see some models from many companies may be phased out as they will be too crowded.

As for your SS... It is coming and you will be glad it was not an Impala. It will be of SS power not ZL1.

Edited by hyperv6
  • Agree 1

Not getting warm fuzzies about the dash design or steering wheel..they same very busy, there is a mix of current Malibu, Camaro and MKS elements sort of in there..

as always, much better in person.

Olds. Size compared to the Lacrosse. Is it very similar of does it have any more length and width. It is hard to tell from the photo's. I expect it to be similar but the photo's make it look wider and longer.

Olds. Size compared to the Lacrosse. Is it very similar of does it have any more length and width. It is hard to tell from the photo's. I expect it to be similar but the photo's make it look wider and longer.

Same wheelbase, but w/ about 4.x inches more overhang. Same width..

2012 LaX Curb Weight (FWD) 3835 lbs 3835 lbs Curb Weight (AWD) N/A N/A Front Track Width 61.7 in 61.7 in Overall Height 59.2 in 59.2 in Overall Length 196.9 in 196.9 in Overall Width 73.1 in 73.1 in Rear Track Width 62.0 in 62.0 in Wheelbase 111.7 in 111.7 in

2014 Impala

According to GM:

Wheelbase (in / mm):

111.7 / 2837

Overall length (in / mm):

201.3 / 5113

Overall width (in / mm):

73 / 1854

Overall height (in / mm):

58.9 / 1496

Track (in / mm):

front: 62.2 / 1580 ; rear: 62 / 1576

Curb weight (lb / kg):

3800 / 1723 (est. – LT model w/ V-6)

The floor shots confirm it: this car is off the chain. I am not a sedan person, but I would drive this, rollin' up on 20s. Scorcher!

This is what Impala was in its heyday, a family sedan with a sporty flair. The mojo is back.

• Agree 1

So this car has the same head designer as the old impala

Seriously? The old car looks like it was conceived on a Country Kitchen Buffet napkin during the 5:30 senior special.

Well, based on a little bit of google,he definitely did the 2000-2005 one, and it seems as though he was responsible for the current one

The Delta platform Cruze and Verano turned out so well that it would be hard for me to justify the purchase of a short wheelbase Epsilon II Malibu or Regal. The Verano is quite a substantial looking car that just needs 2 or 3 more mpg.

The new Impala looks nice but to my eyes it is a modernized version of the current car. I couldn't imagine buying one with the 2.5. 31 mpg highway is barely higher than what much more powerful V6's in this class are getting.

Same wheelbase, but w/ about 4.x inches more overhang. Same width..

2012 LaX Curb Weight (FWD) 3835 lbs 3835 lbs Curb Weight (AWD) N/A N/A Front Track Width 61.7 in 61.7 in Overall Height 59.2 in 59.2 in Overall Length 196.9 in 196.9 in Overall Width 73.1 in 73.1 in Rear Track Width 62.0 in 62.0 in Wheelbase 111.7 in 111.7 in

2014 Impala

According to GM:

Wheelbase (in / mm):

111.7 / 2837

Overall length (in / mm):

201.3 / 5113

Overall width (in / mm):

73 / 1854

Overall height (in / mm):

58.9 / 1496

Track (in / mm):

front: 62.2 / 1580 ; rear: 62 / 1576

Curb weight (lb / kg):

3800 / 1723 (est. – LT model w/ V-6)

Thanks!

I like the grille, and the front overall looks good, but the headlights are too small and plain, and does remind me of a Honda Crosstour or an Acura TL from 2004. I wish they did something more than with the headlights to make the car stand out. The back looks like a Jetta or Sonata sort of, nothing new there, it doesn't even have a Chevy feel to it. Not a fan of the sweepsphere thing from the back door over the rear wheels, but I guess they felt they needed something to stand out.

Interior looks nice for the class, but a little busy, I don't like the dual cockpit thing and how you have light tan over the gaugues, then dark brown behind that then light brown. It is if they wanted to copy the Jaguar XJ interior, but couldn't execute it right. Engines make sense although 195 to 303 hp is a big gap with nothing in between.

Overall a solid B.

Still not sure about the new mug, but whereas on the Traverse I just saw a clean blandness, here I see Camaro+Volkswagen...looks better here, but overall this is a HUGE improvement and I'll give it my tentative stamp of approval

So this car has the same head designer as the old impala

John Cafaro, those, along with the C-5 corvette, though i haven't checked he's probably more of a figure head "head designer" of the whole brand.

Cafaro as a long and impressive history. Too often he was limited and restricted by GM.

John did a lot of the work on the Fiero under John Schinella. Some of his drawings were amazing but GM never let them really ever come to life. I got to speak with him years ago in Detroit. He is an interesting guy to listen to.

Many of the designers of the 80's till the time Lutzs showed up were hamstrung. They could not and would not be permited to do what they thought was right or could do. Once Lutz tore up the rule book he opened the door to let them do what they could do best.

Check out the hood line at the front of this car. It is as tight of a gap as I have ever seen on a GM car.

We must remember most of this car was done under Lutz and he supported his designers unlike past GM managers.

The Delta platform Cruze and Verano turned out so well that it would be hard for me to justify the purchase of a short wheelbase Epsilon II Malibu or Regal. The Verano is quite a substantial looking car that just needs 2 or 3 more mpg.

The new Impala looks nice but to my eyes it is a modernized version of the current car. I couldn't imagine buying one with the 2.5. 31 mpg highway is barely higher than what much more powerful V6's in this class are getting.

This is my thinking. Unless they find a different way to make these cars different the Cruze and Verano price and quality wise really offer nearly as much.

To me from what I saw on the Impala and Verano I would have a hard time buying a Malibu. A little more gets you a lot more car and a little less will get you a nicer interior in a better looking package.

I just see the Malibu getting lost here.

I think what I don't like most about it, is that isn't very original. As many have stated it looks like a lot of other cars. And maybe that is a safe way to go for the target market of the middle-America older buyer, but nothing really wows me about this car. I like the Taurus interior more and that it has an Ecoboost 4 and a V6, but other than that I guess the Taurus is pretty boring too.

I am more impressed with the Altima, 38 mpg beats the Malibu Eco and I like the Altima interior more than the Impala interior. The Altima looks like a serious player in the midsize segment, the Impala to me just doesn't do enough to stand out.

I just see the Malibu getting lost here.

The Malibu Eco just finished 6th our of 6 in a family sedan comparison in Car and Driver. And that didn't include the 2013 Altima or Fusion. The Malibu is probably only the 8th best mid-size sedan and possibly 9th with a revised Subaru Legacy on the way too. So I would agree that the Malibu could easily be lost in the shuffle.

You know... I am not to worried about the Impala having a 195hp 4-cylinder. The old 3800s had that or less horsepower too and they did fine with a 4-speed. If someone needs more power, option into the V6. Though, I would say that the 2 liter diesel unit from the Cruze with its 260 ft-lb of torque and some special gearing could make for a very interesting Impala Eco-D model.

No. In a word: CHUNKY. I am happy they tried. Lots of details, but it suffers like the Verona. Too tall for it's footprint. I am having a hard time wanting to buy anything from GM lately.

The Verona? You mean the Suzuki Verona?

Righhttttttt ...

Sorry, I meant the Buick Verano.

This is a dream car for the current Impala owners but will also get people in from Taurus, moving up from Fusion, and the like...

I'm looking forward to seeing it in person..I like some aspects of the Taurus, but this looks better overall at least in the pics.. The way Impala is spelled out on the doors reminds me of the trucks and SUVs.

cruze seems to have hit the size jackpot for a lot of younger buyers although the rear seat is tight.

Malibu is intentionally a much larger car but now has major rear seat issues. I could not believe how difficult it was to get in the door and backseat of the 13 when i did a few weeks ago. in profile, with the shorter wheelbase and huge overhangs with little glass, the car seems like it maybe was rushed. Shorten the car 6 inches, lengthen the WB a couple inches, and give us a little more greenhouse. Still the goal was accomplished, the Malibu will not be mistaken in size for Cruze. Anyone of the millions who bought a W body or epsilon now will love the size and feel of the Malibu because its exactly the size and weight GM buyers expect. C/D said the new Eco was super quiet and a fantastic cruiser. I think the heft of the epsilon cars for many buyers is a plus over the other midsizers that are continually shedding heft. Go flex a rear quarter panel on the new Passat, and you will see why the car is so light.

I think the Impala was upsized for the all you can eat crowd, it's not at all a bad approach, will still be efficient, and it's obviously attractive.

The other two large large epsilon cars I have driven, the LaCrosse and the 9-5, i loved the size and the way they drove. I really do believe that the Malibu will be stuck inbetween the Cruze and the Impala but to be honest I think its ok for GM.

We should all be thrilled at all the fantastic new sedans coming out......maybe we'll get some drivers out of so many of those hulking SUV's.....

• Agree 1

You know... I am not to worried about the Impala having a 195hp 4-cylinder. The old 3800s had that or less horsepower too and they did fine with a 4-speed. If someone needs more power, option into the V6. Though, I would say that the 2 liter diesel unit from the Cruze with its 260 ft-lb of torque and some special gearing could make for a very interesting Impala Eco-D model.

Make that the twin-turbo 190PS unit used in the Opel Insignia and I'll agree with you 10000000% ;)

Edited by ZL-1

the hight and size on this car is not an issue. First off it you lowered the roof anymore we would have complaints like the 04-08 GTP for anyone over 5/11. Second folks this is a full size car so I have no issue with the 3800 pounds at this point. Knowing the size is similar to the XTS this will be a right sized car for the segment it is in. It is bigger than the older car in many areas.

I too noted a lack of an engine in the 200 HP range. The 2 fours are too close together. I would like a 220 HP option or something around 250 HP. Now if they price the V6 resonable I expect it will pick up the gap as it has in the present car.

The Malibu was not a home run by anymeans. It is a good car in a very tough segment. I expect we have much more to see since they are really only focusing on the Eco. Having been in the Regal and knowing how that car is I know there is much more they can do.

The Malibu to this point has been the Chevy work horse and now that is going to fall on the Cruze and to a lesser extent the Impala.

The live shots of it make it look more appealing than the typically over-touched GM press photos. I'm going to reserve final judgment on the exterior until I see one in the steel. Interior is fantastic.

Like it or hate it, it's a departure from the current car, which in itself is a good thing.