Chevrolet News:Did OnStar Accidently Confirm An SS Model In 2014?

William Maley

Editor/Reporter - CheersandGears.com

April 25, 2012

A few days after we caught wind of GM trademarking the SS nameplate, a blogger uncovered an interesting entry in a OnStar document.

Christopher Price found on OnStar's vehicle compatibility guide that the 2014 Chevrolet lineup includes an "SS Performance" entry. Could this be the mysterious RWD Chevrolet sedan that we've been hearing about for the past few months?

Source: christopherprice.net, Motoramic

View full article

2014 Avalanche???

No Colorado??????

The Avalanche is puzzling, unless it will be gone for one year to create some demand from previous owners (most likely just a typo).

Colorado is to be a 2015 model year truck, not calendar year (will be on-sale in calendar year 2014 though). <--- btw, that's the overall discussion from several places, not direct knowledge on my behalf.

Enough already it is coming unless there is any 11th hour changes. We know it will be an improved SWB Zeta and it will have the DI V8 as that is why we don't have it now.

As for the Avalanche it may simply just be that the cancelation of it was recent enough it was not updated here.

Well, it doesn't surprise me that GM is planning on some kind of SS; there had always been one SS editions of various GM vehicles over the years.

The big question is "which" model is getting an SS? It can be a Sierra, it can be a Cruze, it can be a Malibu, an Impala, and maybe even a Sonic! Depending on which model it is (or perhaps more than one model) this may or may not be very interesting to one person or another.

Come on guys you are acting like a bunch of honda owners on Auto Blog.

You know as well as I do that Mark Ruess has made it clear he wanted the SWB Zeta back here after Pontiac left. We also know from public statments From Al Oppenheiser – Vehicle Chief Engineer, Global Rear Wheel Drive Vehicles that they were working on a RWD performance sedan when he said interanlly this was called the 4 DR Camaro and it would be here around 2014.

The hold up on this car was the improvments the Zeta was getting in cutting weight and the VVT DI V8 that will first be offered in the new Vette.

The only mystery to this whole deal is what the name is that they chose long ago per Al's statment. The only outstanding factor is that would there be some 11th hour issue that would kill the car at the last moment.

While GM has been quiet on many of their cars this was one that a few in high places has spoke out on.

We also it will be limited so don't expect 50,000 plus units and it more than not will be at or just over $40,000 as it will come mostly loaded unless they have changed their minds. Do not expect a V6 right now and if it ever got one it would be a TT V6. Note my pricing is based on the Regal GS. You know a loaded Zeta Sedan will be around the price of a loaded Camaro SS and higher than a Regal GS Turbo.

Sorry no games here either with CNG as production is so small they will not fool with any odd limited options on an already limited car.

So forget the typo, Forget the Caprice, Foget a Sonic SS etc.

Think of this as an Improved, more powerful, lighter [by little] G8 GXP.

Chevy Builds Performance!

chevy_ss.jpg

C'mon. Don't tell me I'm the only one who thought of this thing.

Yes I thought of it, but while it is a lovely design and a drivers car maybe, the rear head room looks to be terrible. I do not see this as the actual car.

Hyper why not have CNG since they all ready do it down there?

75,000+ people on the web thought of the SS show car but it will still be a Zeta.

As for CNG there is nothing wrong with it but it just will not be offered on a limited vehicle in a unproven market. Let the truck intro the umproved systems to the unwashed masses and let them see what the trucks can do and then work it into cars if demand warrants.

Diesel is a good idea too but when the American market is not crying out for it you can't force them to buy them. These alt fuels need to be prove to the American public and then we will see some growth.

75,000+ people on the web thought of the SS show car but it will still be a Zeta.

Well, yeah. It'll be Zeta, everyone knows that.

I know I'm dreaming here, but I think it would be nice if a few styling elements below the SS Concept's beltline made it onto whatever comes out next year. My worst fear, which will undoubtedly be confirmed, is that it'll look like those Autoblog renderings that hit the web a few days ago. The Holden Caprice/Chevrolet Caprice has the appropriate roofline and glasshouse to keep those elements of the concept car intact while improving headroom (not that anyone should be pointing out how the SS Concept didn't have any headroom anyway).

Edited by black-knight

Well, yeah. It'll be Zeta, everyone knows that.

I know I'm dreaming here, but I think it would be nice if a few styling elements below the SS Concept's beltline made it onto whatever comes out next year. My worst fear, which will undoubtedly be confirmed, is that it'll look like those Autoblog renderings that hit the web a few days ago. The Holden Caprice/Chevrolet Caprice has the appropriate roofline and glasshouse to keep those elements of the concept car intact while improving headroom (not that anyone should be pointing out how the SS Concept didn't have any headroom anyway).

:pokeowned:

I think you hit it on the head. The beltline styling elements and a few others I really hope are incorporated into the new SS Performance for the Holden Caprice. This would give you one sweet looking ride with room for all. :)

The way I look at it is they establish this car as a image model that will show a profit even in low volume it will reflect onto the other cars.

As time goes on the Zeta will be replaced at some point and with Holden and Chevy becoming one the styling will be adjusted more and more to reflect both brands. The car we get soon will not remain the same for very long.

I would not be suprised if a expaned Alpha sedan may be based on this model at some point. Or they could take the new Omega and make it smaller so it could share the cost of the flag ship Cadillac with the SS model and even the Poiice Caprice. Cadillac will need a dance partner on the flag ship. The platform may be shared but little else would be.

Lets face it the Zeta while not as old as the W body is becoming the old platform at GM. If there are enough sales and demand here and down under it would justify the demands of the supporters within GM to do a new RWD platform to replace it in the future. While the Zeta can improve a little more like the W was there are limits on how much. A new car would be like the Alpha with few limits.

The hold up on this car was the improvments the Zeta was getting in cutting weight and the VVT DI V8 that will first be offered in the new Vette.

Essentially the VE-to-VF Commodore transition, then, perhaps minus the DI V8... Makes sense to wait if that lightening up means squeezing a couple of extra MPG for CAFE purposes...

Edited by ZL-1

The way I look at it is they establish this car as a image model that will show a profit even in low volume it will reflect onto the other cars.

As time goes on the Zeta will be replaced at some point and with Holden and Chevy becoming one the styling will be adjusted more and more to reflect both brands. The car we get soon will not remain the same for very long.

I would not be suprised if a expaned Alpha sedan may be based on this model at some point. Or they could take the new Omega and make it smaller so it could share the cost of the flag ship Cadillac with the SS model and even the Poiice Caprice. Cadillac will need a dance partner on the flag ship. The platform may be shared but little else would be.

Lets face it the Zeta while not as old as the W body is becoming the old platform at GM. If there are enough sales and demand here and down under it would justify the demands of the supporters within GM to do a new RWD platform to replace it in the future. While the Zeta can improve a little more like the W was there are limits on how much. A new car would be like the Alpha with few limits.

I wonder if the new platform could be a lightweight version of an AWD with Twin Turbo 4 & 6 engines for performance as the SS and Police versions and yet have a volume of FWD appliances that are appealing enough to replace all those ugly forgetable FWD appliances from Toyo and Ford.

Lets not get too far ahead yet. Just expect a more powerful DI V8 in a RWD sedan. If things go well we may see a AWD special edition later on. The TT Turbo may also appear down the road. For now I expect them to keep it simple for the first year or two and then I would expect special more limited edtitions like Holden does.

This is more an image car than volume. They will work to keep it fresh.

The idea that it is going to NASCAR says a lot of what they expect this car will do for Chevys image.

Also note if they are going to the effort of using it in NASCAR there will be no last min plugs pulled like on the Elcamino etc. GM is already commitied to run the car in that series and will have to build it to make it legal. So even if you hate NASCAR the series is going to do some good in locking the car into production.

• Agree 1

The idea that it is going to NASCAR says a lot of what they expect this car will do for Chevys image.

Yes ... and if that "SS" IS the new NASCAR entry and Ch#$r%*et's own press release is to believed, then it MUST be a 2013 model ... unless NASCAR plans to change THEIR rules AGAIN.

Plus, it MUST have a NEW name to the brand, not an old, recycled name.

Cort | 38.m.IL | pigValve + paceMaker + cowValve | 5 MCs + 1 Caprice Classic

CHD.MCs.CC + RoadTrips.hobbies.RadioShows.us66 = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort

* rNwJumpStartCruzNite | 5:30-10:30p; SAT, 05/12/12 | BeefVilla, 1225 W Spring St, S Elgin IL *

"Only emptiness remains; it replaces all ... all the pain" __ Martika __ 'Toy Soldiers'

Yes NASCAR did make a change.

The way I saw it explained by NASCAR was it would be 2014 model but it would be available in early 2014. In other words the race car will hit the track in Feb at Daytona and the public will get the cars in Mach? The time span was not much different. It will be like the 2004 GP roll out in March of 2003.

As for name that is still a toss up as nothing solid has been given. A web site predicting the future can be changed easily.

It will have a SS tag along with another name and at this point no one outside GM seems to know if it is old or new. The only thing we do know is that Al called it the SS Peformance Sedan and that they had the name chosen at the least a year and a half ago when he spoke of it.

The name mystery is as deep here as the I Phone 6 release date mystery.

When are they going to reveal this car? In March I read it was going to show up at the New York International Auto Show, but that didn't happen...

When are they going to reveal this car? In March I read it was going to show up at the New York International Auto Show, but that didn't happen...

It should show up next year at the 2013 Daytona 500.

I thought I read in that article somewhere that it would debut at the Auto Show. Maybe it was a different one I read or maybe I read it wrong.

Here is where I saw it at: http://www.jayski.com/teams/chevy.htm

Chevy to replace Impala in 2013 with another Chevy brand: Chevrolet is developing a new car with a new name for its 2013 NASCAR entry, replacing the Impala used by Team Chevy, and plans to eventually market and sell the new model to consumers. The dealership and racing versions of the car will be unveiled this year, after the New York auto show in April, spokesman Monte Doran said. The new car will use a nameplate not currently in Chevy’s lineup. Neither the car nor its name will be a derivative of an existing one, such as the new Malibu or the upcoming redesigned Impala, Doran said. General Motors wouldn’t reveal details. “We are keeping the wraps on the new car for now and will continue to prepare for next season by testing camouflaged vehicles,” Jim Campbell, vice president of Chevrolet performance vehicles and motorsports, said in a statement. “We know that Chevrolet fans are eager to see the new race car, and we hope that the prospect of being able to own one just like it will make the wait a little more bearable.”

The new car may be a version of the Chevy Caprice currently imported from Australia for U.S. police forces. Inside GM, a plan to develop a Chevy performance sedan like the Caprice for consumers was on-and-off in recent years because of concerns that it wasn’t a high-profit vehicle, people familiar with the situation said. Australia’s Holden brand currently offers consumers a variation on the U.S. Caprice. Along with developing the new performance sedan, GM is redesigning the current Impala, which will be built at the Detroit-Hamtramck plant and is expected to hit showrooms by spring 2013. The automaker is also rolling out a redesigned Malibu.(Detroit Free Press, more at MotorTrend and a past post at AutoWeek)(3-13-2013)

I did read it somewhat wrong though. It just says after the auto show, not at the auto show...

We will see the race car soon as they will begin testing it shortly. I assume the street car may show up at a show this year even before this years NY show.

This is one they will have a hard time hiding since the track testing will leave it out in the open. They still can hide the name but some of the body details will be shown even in primer.

Might note too I have noticed Jimmy johnson Lowes car has adopted the old Chevelle SS Stripe. Also he used a special GM Color at Kansas that was used ont he Chevelle and Camaro.

Note I corrected my early AM typo post for those who tend to be overtly immature.

Edited by hyperv6

As for name that is still a toss up as nothing solid has been given. A web site predicting the future can be changed easily.

It will have a SS tag along with another name and at this point no one outside GM seems to know if it is old or new. The only thing we do know is that Al called it the SS Peformance Sedan and that they had the name chosen at the least a year and a half ago when he spoke of it.

True, a web site predicting the future can be changed, but a PRESS RELEASE by GM canNOT be changed. That press release stated a NEW name to the brand, which means that it canNOT be an old nameplate. Period. Ch#$r%*et wasn't smart enough to clarify.

And, it doesn't sound like a change, per se. The car will be a 2014 model, available in 2013. So, the nameplate raced WILL be a nameplate sold at the dealerships at the same time.

CHD.MCs.CC + RoadTrips.hobbies.RadioShows.us66 = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort

* rNwJumpStartCruzNite | 5:30-10:30p; SAT, 05/12/12 | BeefVilla, 1225 W Spring St, S Elgin IL *

"Play with the fire and your gonna get burned" __ Steve Wariner __ 'Some Fools Never Learn'

New name can be taken different ways. Is it a new name never used before or is it a new name that is not being currently used. It could go either way. We only know for sure is it already has one per GM, it is just unknown to us.. To me it matters little what it is called as I have no hang up it has to be a old or new name mor the number off doors it has. I just want it built.

Note just some trivia. The Fiero name was originally the Peguses and was changed so late for some unknown reason today to Fiero so late was the change that the emblem kept the Flying Horse in it. GM fell back to a name Fiero that they claimed ment Proud in Itallian and chosen outr of a book in a late night meeting. But that did not explain the use of the name in 1a 968 show car the Firebird Fiero where it ment FIrebird Aero Concept. In other words the one name was rejected and they pulled out one they owned the rights to and semi applied a meaning to it.

This is exciting as no one seems to have seen any new Name filing with the pattent office so I must assume the name will be new, but old. One they already have the rights to use but has not been in use for the last 10 years or longer.

Wonder if this car could be a new Beretta or GTO?

Looking at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_General_Motors

I have to assume the name will be something from their history bin.

Anyone have a complete list of Auto Names for GM?

Forbes has a interesting story on Weirdest, worst and best names in the auto industry. Not sure I totally agree with them. http://www.forbes.com/2004/07/12/cx_dl_0712feat.html

Someone brought up Monte Carlo as a possible name, which makes sense given the NASCAR angle. I guess we just have to wait and see..

I could understand this if it was not for the fact that allot of people do not have the best memories of this car. With GM having owned so many other car companies, they are sitting on a ton of new / Old names. That is why I think they could pull something out of the Pontiac/Oldmobile/ older current names.

New/Old Auto Names

Chevy Torpedo

Chevy BelAir

Chevy Firebird

Chevy Skylark

Chevy Cutlass

Chevy Hellcat

I think the name used will be older than 10-15 years old from the history bins.

The only one i san see out of those making any sense is Bel Air. Even GM isn't stupid enough to trip over its own history and give a Buick, Olds, or Pontiac name to a Chevy, especially the storied ones like you mentioned.

Given that the car is a cousin of the Caprice, Bel Air is appropriate from a historical perspective. Whether or not it belongs on a performance-themed sedan is up for debate, but I'd be for it.

It is "new car" with a "name not currently" in the "North American" "Chevrolet brand"

lots of wiggle room there.

The only one i san see out of those making any sense is Bel Air. Even GM isn't stupid enough to trip over its own history and give a Buick, Olds, or Pontiac name to a Chevy, especially the storied ones like you mentioned.

Given that the car is a cousin of the Caprice, Bel Air is appropriate from a historical perspective. Whether or not it belongs on a performance-themed sedan is up for debate, but I'd be for it.

It also kinda goes with Malibu.

It is "new car" with a "name not currently" in the "North American" "Chevrolet brand"

lots of wiggle room there.

It also kinda goes with Malibu.

Well, the Commodore was sold as the Lumina SS in the Middle East...but I can't see Lumina making an NA comeback. Chevelle, Laguna, or Caprice would be good choices, IMO. Past Chevy big car names like Bel Air, Delray, Biscayne seem too old-timey, along with Fleetline, Master, Master Deluxe, etc...

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

Commodore means little to most Americans. I would include it in the possibilities but I would rate it as a low chance of beig used.

I had considered Laguna but it was not real popular. I had considered Bel Air SS I like the sound and it would fit with the Caprice in a way as in the past Chevy used different names in the same lime like 210. Biscayne Bel Air etc.

Chevelle is close to the Malibu but the Chevelle name was never used on small FWD car.

Nova is too cheap of a name to use on a $40K car.

I hate to say it but Monte Carlos connection to NASCAR is strong and it has been a big name for Chevy for years. Adding two doors did not hurt the Challanger like many thought and adding two doors to a powerful great handling sports sedan should do well.

As much as I would love to see an older name not used in along time like Bel Air I thing it may get Monte Carlo in the end. Just a hunch.

You can forget Lumina, Cutlass, GTO or any other division name. GM looks like they are keeping a little retro in all their new cars. Most seem to use a old name or like the impala updated older emblems.

Anyone paying attention that a V6 may be on for 2015 and the wagon and ute car being considered on the Zeta II.

I know we have been throught this before but with Mark running the NA market and chapter 11 issue now behind they may have a chance. This may be why we are seeing Chevy push a limited edition sedan in NASCAR. It kind of make sense now.

This is exciting as no one seems to have seen any new Name filing with the pattent office so I must assume the name will be new, but old. One they already have the rights to use but has not been in use for the last 10 years or longer.

Yes, I've thought about that, too.

*rolls eyes*

Nice try, Drew. That "name not currently" phrase was in an article. That was NOT the Ch#$r%*et press release.

THIS is the press release wording:

The countdown to the debut of Chevrolet’s next NASCAR Sprint Cup Series racecar is underway. Chevrolet announced today that for the 2013 season, Team Chevy will be racing a vehicle based on a new nameplate to the brand’s lineup.

Taking advantage of the new NASCAR rules, which allow manufacturers to display more of their brand identity in their racecars, the new Chevrolet racecar will closely resemble the production version. Both cars will be unveiled in the coming year.

Since they used the phrase, "new nameplate to the brand's lineup", this implies a name never seen in the lineup before. Oh, I know the wiggle room. Trouble is, Ch#$r%*et, in its INFINITE wisdom, wasn't smart enough TO clarify. Their own fault. Period.

And, hyper, GM has proven before that it doesn't care whether or not an old name was used on FWD or not. Look at the Nova, Monte Carlo, Impala and Malibu. Besides, I thought this "SS" model was supposed to be RWD, anyway...? And ... adding 2 doors didn't hurt the Charger, not the Challenger.

* rNw-CC+event: http://rdwhl-capriceclassic.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=whatsgoingon *

"Can you make these big wheels burn?" __ Ronnie Milsap __ 'Smokey Mountain Rain'

Knightfan you can roll your eyes at me any time you want, but with a bottle of wine in me and an end to a very intense work week, I will always smile and take it to the bank. :P

LOL! I wasn't rolling my eyes AT you ... I was rolling my eyes at the fact that you pointed out, about which I had been thinking.....

"What happened next is hard to tell" __ Ray Stevens __ 'Mississippi Squirrel Revival'

LOL! I wasn't rolling my eyes AT you ... I was rolling my eyes at the fact that you pointed out, about which I had been thinking.....

"What happened next is hard to tell" __ Ray Stevens __ 'Mississippi Squirrel Revival'

No offense taken, I am feeling too good and considering opening another bottle of wine. :P You have an awesome weekend. :D

Yes, I've thought about that, too.

*rolls eyes*

Nice try, Drew. That "name not currently" phrase was in an article. That was NOT the Ch#$r%*et press release.

THIS is the press release wording:

The countdown to the debut of Chevrolet’s next NASCAR Sprint Cup Series racecar is underway. Chevrolet announced today that for the 2013 season, Team Chevy will be racing a vehicle based on a new nameplate to the brand’s lineup.

Taking advantage of the new NASCAR rules, which allow manufacturers to display more of their brand identity in their racecars, the new Chevrolet racecar will closely resemble the production version. Both cars will be unveiled in the coming year.

Since they used the phrase, "new nameplate to the brand's lineup", this implies a name never seen in the lineup before. Oh, I know the wiggle room. Trouble is, Ch#$r%*et, in its INFINITE wisdom, wasn't smart enough TO clarify. Their own fault. Period.

And, hyper, GM has proven before that it doesn't care whether or not an old name was used on FWD or not. Look at the Nova, Monte Carlo, Impala and Malibu. Besides, I thought this "SS" model was supposed to be RWD, anyway...? And ... adding 2 doors didn't hurt the Charger, not the Challenger.

* rNw-CC+event: http://rdwhl-caprice...rd=whatsgoingon *

"Can you make these big wheels burn?" __ Ronnie Milsap __ 'Smokey Mountain Rain'

Again sematics. new only means not being used now. So the fact remains it could go either way.

Challanger- Charger you knew what I ment. Either of these cars mean little to me other than it may make GM bring back RWD. I really don't like either Dodge offering.

As for FWD/RWD SS can go on anything that has class leading Goes, Stops and Turns ability.

The Coibalt and HHR SS are good examples where FWD cars done right can out perform many and most SS from the past stock. Modified they are also still right there with the times I have seen posted. The market now has a strong FWD following and if you do not address it sales will be lost. SS mean performance and if used on a proper car I have no issue. Now the 85 Monte Carlo and 96 Malibu SS are reasons not to use SS unless it has real performace ability in all areas.

We should know soon enough what the new name will be. To me it matters little as long as the car is right for the class in performance and styling.

Again sematics. new only means not being used now. So the fact remains it could go either way.

True, it could go either way. BUT...the idea that "new" only means "not being used now" is shaky, at best, particularly since it was used in an article and NOT in the official GM press release.

The wording of that infamous press release is:

Team Chevy will be racing a vehicle based on a new nameplate to the brand’s lineup.

The wiggle room here would've been far greater had Ch#$r%*et had the wisdom to leave it as "...a vehicle based on a new nameplate." It would've been very clear had they noted it as "a vehicle based on a new nameplate not currently used." But, instead, they added the phrase "to the brand's lineup." If the name is Monte Carlo, Chevelle, Caprice, etc., that will make that entire statement FALSE since all of those names are NOT new nameplates to the brand's lineup.

Arguing semantics? Yes. BUT ... if an individual had made that sort of statement, the public would've torn that individual to pieces. I'm tired of us as a society ragging on individuals for miscues like this, but letting companies get away with crap, extortion, etc. Not acceptable.

And, frankly, it never bothered me that "SS" was used on FWD at all.

"How could I be so blind?" __ Charly McClain __ 'Who's Cheating Who'

There was never any "96 Malibu SS" car, ;-)

True, but this does not seem to go with what their press release says. I still think they are going to pull something out of the bag from a dead brand.