Industry News: Senate Passes Mandatory Black Boxes In Vehicles By 2015, House Expected To Follow

I think the black boxes in 70% of the new cars on the road are already saving lives. To name a few things:

Improved abs function

Improved air bag deployment

Improved safety belt pretensioners

Accident avoidance software

Adaptive cruise control

while that might be controlled by another "black box".... i thought black boxes = data recorder, not anything else. another box would use that information to "learn" the driver's habits....different box... only accessible by dealers(manufacturers) for firmware changes (and hackers), right?

One thing I do find peculiar is the tendency of those who accept things like this to insist that those of us who do not just "accept it" , or "face it", because "that's just the way it is".

And they even seem angry about it.

I find that puzzling in a nation spawned from thinking like this:

"I may not agree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it" - Patrick Henry

Because it is a minor chance of possible injustice in face of the actual occurring injustice we have on going today.

One thing I do find peculiar is the tendency of those who accept things like this to insist that those of us who do not just "accept it" , or "face it", because "that's just the way it is".

"I may not agree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it" - Patrick Henry

Because it is a minor chance of possible injustice in face of the actual occurring injustice we have on going today.

I would call it a major chance of probable injustice, and I oppose attacks on freedom whatever their dimension.

And that is no excuse for browbeating folks for speaking their minds.

• Agree 1

Can I get some examples please of what you consider occuring injustices?

The forced tracking via a black box is a MAJORE INJUSTICE to our way of life, freedom of choice, etc.

The forced tracking via a black box is a MAJORE INJUSTICE to our way of life, freedom of choice, etc.

The TSA.... all of it... as ineffectual as it is intrusive.

The fact that there have been zero bankers sent to jail for their grand theft while millions sit in jail for possession of small amounts of pot acquired through mutually agreeable transactions.

Gitmo.

The black box that is called your cell phone.... it reveals far more about you and your movements than any car black box could.... in fact, just having your cell phone on in the car is twice the black box that GM could ever equip your car with.

• Agree 1

I think the black boxes in 70% of the new cars on the road are already saving lives. To name a few things:

Improved abs function

Improved air bag deployment

Improved safety belt pretensioners

Accident avoidance software

Adaptive cruise control

while that might be controlled by another "black box".... i thought black boxes = data recorder, not anything else. another box would use that information to "learn" the driver's habits....different box... only accessible by dealers(manufacturers) for firmware changes (and hackers), right?

Data obtained from black boxes after accidents helps with the list I created.

• Agree 1

The TSA.... all of it... as ineffectual as it is intrusive.

The fact that there have been zero bankers sent to jail for their grand theft while millions sit in jail for possession of small amounts of pot acquired through mutually agreeable transactions.

Gitmo.

The black box that is called your cell phone.... it reveals far more about you and your movements than any car black box could.... in fact, just having your cell phone on in the car is twice the black box that GM could ever equip your car with.

Good list, I was not thinking outside the box of just auto's, but you are right these are all injustices that Americans are having to deal with that we should not have to deal with since the ocus should be on terrorist not on harrassing Americans.

The Department of Homeland Security. They are planning on disabling large swaths of the cellular network AND people's private WIFI in Chicago when the NATO conference comes to town next week.

They can try but there will still be ways to get around it for engineers like us who know how. :)

This is death.

Which is why pretty much the leaders of both political parties should be shot in the face.

The Department of Homeland Security. They are planning on disabling large swaths of the cellular network AND people's private WIFI in Chicago when the NATO conference comes to town next week.

We are pretty much becoming a corporate plutocracy that no longer cars about human liberty.

We are pretty much becoming a corporate plutocracy that no longer cars about human liberty.

i thought that was evident and began back in 1913? ;)

goes to show you what "smart people" have done to the legal system... wilson, the only PhD. ever in the oval office that sat at that desk.

gotcha. i was thinking that's what you meant, but i would be curious how much info is given to manufacturers after consumers' accidents happen. i would think that most of that info is logged in test labs where they have more observational data instead of just car inputs and outputs.

gotcha. i was thinking that's what you meant, but i would be curious how much info is given to manufacturers after consumers' accidents happen. i would think that most of that info is logged in test labs where they have more observational data instead of just car inputs and outputs.

Probably so....

I would rather have antipathy than apathy, because at least it keeps the world from stagnating. The Americans have grown so apathetic to their own problems that so as long someone is taking responsibility and not bothering them, they do not care.

So as long bubba gets to watch NASCAR, fish and drink beer the country is good for him. So as long a housewife gets to watch reality television, shop groceries, spend money in Walmart the rights will not matter. So as long college students get stoned, have sex and get loan for school the government is perfect.

They can try but there will still be ways to get around it for engineers like us who know how. :)

And that is the slippery slope my friend. Sure black-boxes could be defeated, sure data can be hacked, but then you are doing it illegally, which means you are revolting against the better good the government is providing you by providing you security.

And that is the slippery slope my friend. Sure black-boxes could be defeated, sure data can be hacked, but then you are doing it illegally, which means you are revolting against the better good the government is providing you by providing you security.

"if one rejects laissez faire on account of mans fallibility and moral weakness, one must for the same reason also reject every kind of government action." -LvM

snapback.pngdfelt, on 18 May 2012 - 12:34 PM, said:

snapback.pngOldsmoboi, on 18 May 2012 - 12:14 PM, said:

The Gov never has your security in mind. There is always select groups that believe their agenda is more important than your freedom.

Hitler thought he knew better as to what is best for the germans and we ended up with genocide.

Black Box's are NOT there for your benefit, it is for an alternative agenda the gov has to control your life. While many advances such as stability control clearly helps drivers, I have to challange that all technology is truly beneficial to society. Computers are still not as fast as the human mind and a computer cannot and is not aware of what is going on around you at the time you are driving. The Black box is just a horse with blinders on that will never truly show the whole picture and I for one refuse to have some nany device telling me how or what to do.

Black Box's are a step towards reducing your freedom in an auto and for everyone here who feels it is not clearly is happy to be a lemming and follow the pied piper off the cliff.

Sacrifice your freedom of choice and have people / companies or GOV/Business/Insurance companies define what/where and when you can do something and you have lost your freedom.