Miles? Yes.

I bought something. Can't really explain why and not sure what the heck I'll do with it or how long it will be around. Busy day.

Cash. Thought I'd try that for once, and old. But shockingly well cared for. To the extent the lady I bought it from typed and printed out an emotional "car history" story about it, in addition to the stacks of service bills. She was interesting.

IMG_0134.jpg

199,575 miles as of today, parked outside under a tree until I get in trouble for having 2 cars in my development.

Vroom.

Now, what the heck am I going to do with this thing. Aye.

Prelude?

Ah, that's a good one. I love those. Should have. Really, hmm. That would have been a great car if I could find one cheap enough.

Still, no, not close on any of the guesses except for Japanese. Any details I give will give it away immediately, if that means anything. Very unique. I just got home and saw it outside under a tree, forgot. Craigslist makes you do funny things.

Edited by caddycruiser

Wow. Some of you will be disappointed or shocked. Not a coupe. Not a racer.

It's red.

It's AWD.

It's a 4-cylinder.

It's a wagon.

And? It's a Subaru. My dad is up to 2, and I always found them interesting and fun to drive, especially in winter.

IMG_1445.jpg

IMG_3081.jpg

Cool part for me? Oddball/rare (for a 1996 model) "2.5GT" model that looks like most others except for the gold GT badge on the back, and the higher output 2.5L boxer 4 under hood. Between that, the owner who gave me stacks and stacks of stories and bills, and the utility of it, it seemed like a good buy.

All mechanical maintenance and common items done. Needs a radio antenna and has a rust spot on the driver's side quarter panel. Runs strong and rides like a new car on expensive new Michelins.

My goal was to find a $1000-1500 oddball ride that would run like a tank, be useful, and not need much. I paid $2k in the end, and will have something useful, even if I don't know when TO use it.

Hard to find anything well maintained, solid, and as useful for $2k or less, if not a beat up old mule, or riced out Honda, etc.

Vroom vroom GT. Guess I could rent it out as a U-Haul...hmm...

Edited by caddycruiser

Cool...Subies are pretty rugged. I was thinking coupe because the door open icon shows 2drs. Speaking of Subies, did you see the Jalopnik article about the guy in Finland whose '96 Outback started on the first try after 3 months under a frozen lake?

Cool...Subies are pretty rugged. I was thinking coupe because the door open icon shows 2drs. Speaking of Subies, did you see the Jalopnik article about the guy in Finland whose '96 Outback started on the first try after 3 months under a frozen lake?

Ha! No, but sounds about like a Subaru.

I finally had a chance to start reading through the stacks of receipts for service the owner gave me. On every one, she left other notes about what & why. I think it may be fun to have it around for 200k+ miles, as long as I don't have to do much to it. Seems to burn a bit of oil every once in a while, but all in all, nice car.

Odd driving a 4-speed automatic 4-cyl on the highway after getting so used to 5 & 6 speeds. Holy high RPM.