Is the Verano eating Regal's lunch?

Found an open Verano today on a Buick lot. Again, blown away at how nice it is inside.

Really still love the Regal more, but the Verano is 92% the size and such, just a little more different and tidy...... not as pricey.....

I wonder how much the Verano launch is eating up Regals. I know Buick is trying to move Regal up the ladder with more kit and better powertrains, but the cars side by side are damn near the same size, and the Regal is not too much bigger inside either.

I know the old size is everything adage is dying in this market some, but at under 25g, a base Verano is damn nice, why spend 30 on a Regal?

Seems like the Delta II and Epsilon II cars are too close in size, esp. wheelbase.

that would be a simple fix. delta is like 105.7 wb?

delta = 106

next size = should be like 110

next size = 114

sonic size should be like 102

Caprice size should be 118

you can build pretty much 90% of the cars you sell on three size wheelbases. the regal and malibu would really benefit for 2 extra inches of stretch in the back seat.

Seems like the Delta II and Epsilon II cars are too close in size, esp. wheelbase.

that would be a simple fix. delta is like 105.7 wb?

delta = 106

next size = should be like 110

next size = 114

sonic size should be like 102

Caprice size should be 118

you can build pretty much 90% of the cars you sell on three size wheelbases. the regal and malibu would really benefit for 2 extra inches of stretch in the back seat.

Problem is the current Epsilon II wheelbases are both quite small--107.x and 111.x.

If GM is bent on making midsize and fullsize cars on Epsilon II FWD, at least make EPII SWB 111.x inches and EPII LWB 115.x inches. Delta II needs the space, and so do most people once inside the car. The new cars need not be as long as a 2005 LeSabre/Park Avenue (200/207 inches), but at least make them not look like midsize cars. Contrast that with the crossovers and it is obvious what GM needs to do with the sedans, whether it is Buick or Chevy.

• Agree 2

I look for the Lacrosse and Regal both to grow in size at some point but they will have to wait till they are up for platform changes. Also they need to wait for the new Cadillacs to move up. We need to watch Opel and China to see what is next.

As nice as the Verano is the Regal just has a little more sporting styling.

Edited by hyperv6

I do wonder if the size shortcomings of Epsilon II (narrow, short wheelbases) are due to it being an international platform...with versions of the Regal/Insignia and Malibu in many markets.

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

Delta with its large wheelbase at 105.7 or whatever, sure doesn't render much space efficiency with it's ginormous hood but small backseat.

I do think the international bickering about the early Epsilons probably did doom it to some extent in terms of having to compromise for packaging.

Found an open Verano today on a Buick lot. Again, blown away at how nice it is inside.

Really still love the Regal more, but the Verano is 92% the size and such, just a little more different and tidy...... not as pricey.....

I wonder how much the Verano launch is eating up Regals. I know Buick is trying to move Regal up the ladder with more kit and better powertrains, but the cars side by side are damn near the same size, and the Regal is not too much bigger inside either.

I know the old size is everything adage is dying in this market some, but at under 25g, a base Verano is damn nice, why spend 30 on a Regal?

Here are the sales numbers so far this year. Verano is on a roll. I threw in the TSX too for comparison:

JAN 2012

TSX - 2266

Regal - 1855

Verano - 795

FEB 2012

TSX - 3373

Regal - 2636

Verano - 1688

MAR

TSX - 3355

Regal - 2609

Verano - 2497

APR

TSX - 3138

Verano - 2989

Regal - 2852

MAY

Verano - 3609

TSX - 2880

Regal - 2550

• Agree 1

I'm sure it is taking Regal sales, but I don't think Regal sales were going to be great anyway. The Regal is supposed to be a sporty Buick and have a firm German ride, something Buick owners don't want. The Verano, LaCrosse and Enclave fit the Buick image and are more for quiet and comfort with burled wood trim and soft seats.

The Regal is supposed to be a sporty Buick and have a firm German ride, something Buick owners don't want.

But that's why GM offers both. It can attract sport-oriented buyers with the Regal and please traditional purchasers with the Verano.

• Agree 2

By T61's figures, clearly the Verano isn't taking sales from the Regal, so that answers that.

The Regal could sell better with no Verano there, but I for years have thought Buick needs a small car because no one makes a small luxury car. All the small premiums are like the Golf GTI, Mini Cooper, Volvo C30, etc that place the emphasis on sporty driving. I actually wish the Verano had less Cruze to the interior and were a bit nicer. The exposed cup holders, short armrest and shifter are more economy car than luxury car.

I wonder how much staying power the Regal has, the interior isn't that impressive to me, the seats and everything you touch is hard. It is pretty well made, so I don't think it is a bad interior, it just doesn't wow me in any way. The Regal has weak engines also, it is outpowered by the Sonatas and Camrys of the world so I don't see how they are making the sport sedan claim. The Regal just seems like a car that can quickly get dated and forgotten once the newness wears off.

Here are the sales numbers so far this year. Verano is on a roll. I threw in the TSX too for comparison:

JAN 2012

TSX - 2266

Regal - 1855

Verano - 795

FEB 2012

TSX - 3373

Regal - 2636

Verano - 1688

MAR

TSX - 3355

Regal - 2609

Verano - 2497

APR

TSX - 3138

Verano - 2989

Regal - 2852

MAY

Verano - 3609

TSX - 2880

Regal - 2550

Another excellent month for Verano in June. It not only outsold Regal, but also TSX/ILX combined.

Verano 4091

TSX

JAN 2012

TSX - 2266

Regal - 1855

Verano - 795

FEB 2012

TSX - 3373

Regal - 2636

Verano - 1688

MAR

TSX - 3355

Regal - 2609

Verano - 2497

APR

TSX - 3138

Verano - 2989

Regal - 2852

MAY

Verano - 3609

TSX - 2880

Regal - 2550

Another excellent month for Verano in June. It not only outsold Regal, but also TSX/ILX combined.

Verano 4091

TSX 2602

Regal 2326

ILX 1081

Edited by Tailfin61

• 5 weeks later...

JAN 2012

TSX - 2266

Regal - 1855

Verano - 795

FEB 2012

TSX - 3373

Regal - 2636

Verano - 1688

MAR

TSX - 3355

Regal - 2609

Verano - 2497

APR

TSX - 3138

Verano - 2989

Regal - 2852

MAY

Verano - 3609

TSX - 2880

Regal - 2550

Verano 4091

TSX 2602

Regal 2326

ILX 1081

Verano does it again in July!

Verano 4235

TSX 1980

Regal 1784

ILX 1410

• 2 months later...

I'm happy to see them offer it, and overall I really like it. However, personally I don't think I could get over the wierd rear chrome strips and tiny taillights. To me, it just reminds me of the face of a Neanderthal - small, sunken eyes and a pronounced, angry looking brow line.

2012_Buick_Verano_02049-450x299.jpgNeanderthal_main_0114.jpg

But, But, But that seems to be the trend, all Auto's for the most part seem to have a face on their butt now. Not sure why we seem to feel the need to have an auto look at you and either smile or frown. I see this as an area that someone can make a real difference in with superior styling.

Would make a fine Buick, based on GM's current definition of the brand. It is a pretty car, and the taillights on it look at least mildly annoyed, if not outright angry like on the Verano. I like those angry taillights because they're unique, and call back the front of the '59 and the rear of the '59 and '60 Buicks.

Edited by ocnblu