Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Infiniti News: Infiniti Still Wants A Halo Car.. Which One Though?

William Maley

Staff Writer - CheersandGears.com

June 27, 2012

The Infiniti lineup is pretty well filled. You have a variety of sedans in varying shapes and sizes, crossovers, a hybrid, coupe, convertible and even a SUV. But there is one hole in Infiniti's lineup, a halo car.

“A halo car would help us. It could bridge the gap between Infiniti and F1,” said Andreas Sigl, the head of Infiniti’s F1 operations.

So what could this Halo Infiniti look like? For awhile, rumors were flying of an Infiniti version of the Nissan GT-R, but that has ruled out completely.

The first option is the extended-range electric Emerge-E concept, shown in Geneva this year. However, people outside of Nissan say the Emerg-E may not deliver the performance that’s appropriate for a halo car.

The other option is the 2009 Infiniti Essence concept that used a twin-turbo V6 and electric motor producing 592 HP. Sources inside Nissan say that some form of the Essence, whether it come with a V6 or a V8 is still is on the table.

Source: Car & Driver

William Maley is a staff writer for Cheers & Gears. He can be reached at [email protected] or you can follow him on twitter at @realmudmonster.

View full article

They, like Cadillac, realize that having small and mid-size luxury sedans, a small crossover and a luxury SUV based off a pickup isn't enough. The G37 and M37/M56 are good products, but Infiniti just doesn't have a full enough line, or the halo vehicle at the top. Normally I'd say they need a big sedan, but they tried that and failed. Since they are more of a performance brand, I could see a halo sports car, why there isn't some form of a GT-R, even if tuned down to 450 hp and suspension set a little softer, they could have a grand touring coupe like a Jag XK or Maserati Gran Turismo.

A halo sports car would work well w/ their Red Bull F1 branding relationship as well. They have been using Seb V in advertising for the QX and various events..an LF-A competitor would fit well in that context.

A high end, 2 seat roadster along the lines of the SL. None of the other Asian brands have something like that.

2nd gen Lexus SC went there then went away.

Yes, but poor execution, and much cheaper than an SL. It was almost more placed against the CLK500 of the day. The big sedan market is loaded, not with just the traditional Germans and the XJ, but Maserati, Porsche and even Aston Martin now (albeit a higher price). If Infiniti wants a halo they probably do need to go the sports car route, and hope they don't end up with an SC430 or XLR.

Yes they need a Halo car, but will they succeed when their average age of buying is senior? Not so sure on this one, I hear so many people talk about performance for Infiniti and yet I see mostly baby boomers on the lot buying.

I think they have more issue to address than just the need of a Halo car. Interiors while pretty nice are about as small and tight as they come. I doubt they have ever really tried putting anyone over 5'8" tall in one of their cars let alone their so called luxury SUV.

Yes they need a Halo car, but will they succeed when their average age of buying is senior? Not so sure on this one, I hear so many people talk about performance for Infiniti and yet I see mostly baby boomers on the lot buying.

Anecdotally I have a few friends and colleagues w/ Infinitis, they range from 25-42. It's not just the older crowd that buys 'em...

I think they have more issue to address than just the need of a Halo car. Interiors while pretty nice are about as small and tight as they come. I doubt they have ever really tried putting anyone over 5'8" tall in one of their cars let alone their so called luxury SUV.

My neighbor has a new Q56 and is about 6'2", so space must not be a problem in that model..

When I see how Infiniti products deteriorate, it is not hard to guess why they depreciate so rapidly. In my work, when I see interior trim broken and/or discolored by human hands, and leather cracked and faded early, plus early exterior deterioration, it tells me Datsun is not serious about building true quality luxury vehicles.

When I see how Infiniti products deteriorate, it is not hard to guess why they depreciate so rapidly. In my work, when I see interior trim broken and/or discolored by human hands, and leather cracked and faded early, plus early exterior deterioration, it tells me Datsun is not serious about building true quality luxury vehicles.

How much of that though is lazy people that don't take care of their cars? Faded/oxidized cars are the norm here, as recent as 4-5 years old if left out exposed to the sun..

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

Only Infiniti owners are lazy and don't take of their vehicles? Same can also be said about owners of vehicles from other manufacturers, yet they do not detiorate as much.

Infinitis are notorious for the quality wear and tear and deterioration. First gen G35s with less than 5 years of age have discolored headlights worse than my 14 year old Lumina, which is parked without any protection in acidic environment.

First gen G35s with less than 5 years of age have discolored headlights worse than my 14 year old Lumina, which is parked without any protection in acidic environment.

I've noticed that, but pretty much anything 4-5 years old that sits outside here has discolored lights due to the evil bright light in the sky 300+ days a year.

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

First gen G35s with less than 5 years of age have discolored headlights worse than my 14 year old Lumina, which is parked without any protection in acidic environment.

I've noticed that, but pretty much anything 4-5 years old that sits outside here has discolored lights due to the evil bright light in the sky 300+ days a year.

Yet 14yr old cars in Seattle look brand new even when they sit outside all the time. Guess that cloud cover really works to protect the car! :P

• Agree 1

Yet 14yr old cars in Seattle look brand new even when they sit outside all the time. Guess that cloud cover really works to protect the car! :P

It's like sunscreen..