Guess My Mileage and win $10

We are currently on our way to Ann Arbor in the 2012 Volkswagen Passat TDI we are reviewing. My first four days with the Passat in swamped and gridlocked Pittsburgh driving netted me 26.9 mpg. While that is lower than the EPA city rating, all non-hybrids get 0 miles per gallon while idling in traffic. Over the next three days, we will be doing almost exclusively highway cruising across Northern Ohio and up into Michigan.

You have two chances to win one or two of two $10 fuel gift cards. Your first chance is by guessing my fuel economy on tonight's trip (Pittsburgh to Ann Arbor) without going over. You get a second guess for the fuel economy for my trip from Port Huron Michigan to Pittsburgh PA on Monday evening. Winners will be announced Tuesday, August 14th at 12pm Eastern time.

To enter, simply reply in the comments of this thread with your two guesses. For example "Friday= 48.9mpg, Monday = 43.2mpg".

Here are the rules:

1. You must be a registered user of CheersandGears.com to enter, guest posts are disqualified. You can sign up easily clicking this link and even use your Facebook or Twitter account to speed things along.
  2. No purchase or paid subscription is necessary to win.
  3. Entries are taken in the order the server time stamps them. If two people guess the same number, the number with the earliest date/time stamp wins.
  4. Volkswagen of America is not in any way affiliated with this contest aside from providing the test vehicle.
  5. Entries must be received by 9 am Eastern, August 14th, 2012

Good Luck!

View full article

Friday: 44.0

Monday: 47.4

So no more entries after this point.

I have to announce the winners early as I have a meeting at 11:30 to 12:30.

For my trip up to Ann Arbor, Albert and I were running late. We used 7.0 gallons to cover 305.6 miles for a fuel economy of 44.3 miles per gallon.

Coming home, we took it easy, burning just 5.9 gallons of diesel to cover 317.8 miles, for a fuel economy of 53.9 miles per gallon.

The cost of filling up each time was $3.999 and $3.989 giving a cost roughly 8.3 cents per mile.

The winners are:

Friday guess: 43.7 - Cubi getting his get exactly right
Monday guess: 53.9 - GMTruckguy for getting the closest without going over.

Friday 47.9

Monday 46.4

Yes, I've watched The Price Is Right :neenerneener:

LOL, good one, you guys are a trip...!

I had a feeling you'd get at least 50 mpg on the highway during one of those runs...

I am really only good at guessing snowfall amounts before Washington DC snowstorms, but those are a thing of the past. I remember driving brand new Chevy Chevette's that had diesel engines...I though they were pretty cool (probably because they were different) I remember talking to customers and they got some high mpg's with those diesel Chevette's. They sure bogged down when you turned the AC on!