Is this as good a deal as I think it is for a new GMC Sierra?

ShadowDog

Hi all. I'm truck shopping. Getting rid of the mini-van now that I need something to better meet the family needs. I've looked at all makes, questioned new owners, examined build-lists, optioned-together glorified "I wish" truck builds, came back to Earth, and started searching for deals. The 2012 clearouts for 0% financing held few to be desired, so I waited... until I saw an ad at the local dealership for an "End of the World Sale" - one day only. They're discounting everything on their lot, including 2013 units.

Test drove a 2013 SLE with the 1SB package and a couple add-on options and liked it, but stopped cold when I saw an All Terrain with the Offroad package sitting on a hauler, awaiting delivery.

I walked around it, noticed its obvious option upgrades and inquired on the pricing for the sale date.

MSRP (CDN) is $55,785 pre-tax (or $8,330 more than the SLE I test drove)

Discount offers and customer puppy eyes took it down to $46,581.54 (factoring additional costs to haggle around, the savings is about $9,693)

If I feel satisfied, I'll be heading in Sunday, Nov 4th for either that truck, or seeing if I can get that SLE 1SB down below $40k with this deal.

Is the All Terrain worth it? Or can I do better?

Thoughts?

Images attached

post-714-0-13619000-1351924093_thumb.jpg

post-714-0-39659800-1351924106_thumb.jpg

• Agree 1

:drool: that's so hot. Do you have any photos of the SLE in question though? All-Terrain is a beautiful trim and Rancho shock/wheel package, if you can swing it, I'd go for it. But an SLE has all I'd need. Either way, one cannot go wrong with a GMC Sierra.

• Agree 1

Yeah, and the decision just got a little more tough. The build sheet for the SLE shows it has the Special Edition and chrome package with the perfect mix of back-road and hauling upgrades.

http://www.kalawsky.com/new/GMC/2013-GMC-Sierra+1500-547d28ec0a0d06490046752dc91c4ec6.htm#

That one can be had for just under $37,000

I just have to decide if, this time, I'm going to go ahead with my 'wants' over my 'needs'. My last two purchases were the minivan and my wife's car... not exactly excitement-inducing purchases. The deal breaker would be if the All Terrain is too rough for my taste on the highway as compared to the SLE. But if it's reasonably as smooth as the SLE, the only thing left to decide is ... uh, if I deserve to spend a little more for something unique?

Oh man, that Sonoma Jewel SLE with the 18" rims, chrome package, Z71 and all-terrain tires is a beautiful truck! I'd have no reason to believe I'd be "settling" for a truck like that!

Edited by ocnblu
  • Agree 1

Well, good point... I suppose I just mean on the basis of comparison next to that SLT. Yeah, that package for that price really shows good value. I'm crunching numbers and it's tough to ignore the dollar difference for essentially the same truck! The difference lies in things like the sunroof, leather bucket seats, wheels... just feel-good upgrades, really.

This decision is tough for me.

Sorry I've not been of help, I know you want to bounce some ideas around before deciding. You said your last two purchases have been out of need, basically, and this time you're thinking of going with something you want. If you're comfortable with the extra money, and you really want it, well... you only live once.

I'm not sure how the 20" wheels affect ride quality and wet weather traction. Also, those tires will be more expensive when it comes time to replace them. But they do look great.

I also like how the chrome plays against the Sonoma Jewel paint job. BUT... the monochrome look on the All-Terrain looks good too.

Maybe I should shut up and hope someone else comes in to offer some real help.

Well, good point... I suppose I just mean on the basis of comparison next to that SLT. Yeah, that package for that price really shows good value. I'm crunching numbers and it's tough to ignore the dollar difference for essentially the same truck! The difference lies in things like the sunroof, leather bucket seats, wheels... just feel-good upgrades, really.

This decision is tough for me.

In test driving myself, I really do not see any difference in ride quality, but this is a personal feel issue so you really need to test drive it. Since you have done so many auto's for the family and wife, it is Time you get something for yourself. As the bread winner in the family we sacrifice allot for our loved ones. It comes a time when every so often you need to do something for yourself and while they are both awesome trucks, I think long term you will be very happy with the All Terrain GMC!

:gmc:

Rock on, once you make a decision, come back and post some pictures of this hot new ride! :)

:metal:

Deal is done. I did some cross-comparisons and came to the conclusion that, like the van, for the amount of time this truck will be used primarily as a family transport, I'd have come to regret not getting the additional options for more comfort on the long-hauls. The point of doing something a little extra for me was a good one. Even my wife said I don't think of myself as often as I should.

Anyway, I consulted a co-worker of my wife's whom has made a great living as an auto salesman. I took my time reviewing the bill of sale and managed to cut out some costly details and added running boards. By the end of the deal I came out comfortably better than my monthly budget limit by $154, so I'm satisfied. The salesman was a great guy, too. I never got the impression he was "trying" to sell. I think he knew I had done my research, so he didn't need to sugar-coat features or options, or point out unnecessary whoopdeedoos.

The real truth is, I had a really crappy day before I got to the dealership this afternoon to pick the truck up, so that kinda ruined my excitement. Once I can get some daylight and drive time, I think I'll quickly figure out why I should be happy. Soon, I'll get some images of it somewhere nice.

Thanks for the input you guys gave me. In all truth, it helped me make that final choice.

post-714-0-34368100-1352181214_thumb.jpg

Body colour grille?

it's one good lookin truck either way

The All Terrain package adds body-colour grille and front fascia. I like chrome less than the next guy.

I like the not acres of chrome look.

It's one of the reasons I like the GMC more than the Chevy. This truck in black is drop-dead-gorgeous... if one puts a lot of effort into keeping it that clean. I certainly don't have the time for that.

Deal is done. I did some cross-comparisons and came to the conclusion that, like the van, for the amount of time this truck will be used primarily as a family transport, I'd have come to regret not getting the additional options for more comfort on the long-hauls. The point of doing something a little extra for me was a good one. Even my wife said I don't think of myself as often as I should.

Anyway, I consulted a co-worker of my wife's whom has made a great living as an auto salesman. I took my time reviewing the bill of sale and managed to cut out some costly details and added running boards. By the end of the deal I came out comfortably better than my monthly budget limit by $154, so I'm satisfied. The salesman was a great guy, too. I never got the impression he was "trying" to sell. I think he knew I had done my research, so he didn't need to sugar-coat features or options, or point out unnecessary whoopdeedoos.

The real truth is, I had a really crappy day before I got to the dealership this afternoon to pick the truck up, so that kinda ruined my excitement. Once I can get some daylight and drive time, I think I'll quickly figure out why I should be happy. Soon, I'll get some images of it somewhere nice.

Thanks for the input you guys gave me. In all truth, it helped me make that final choice.

Congrates on the New Truck, it really is a beauty. I am a big fan of chrome only on the wheels as I like the body for the most part to be monochromatic. So to me this truck is drop dead beautiful. Very hot ride.

What is the actual color? Gun metal Grey, Steel Grey, Steel blue? Kinda hard to make out on my monitor.

Way to rock it! :metal:

Congrats, sir! I'm jealous!!

The current Steel Gray Metallic seems to have a little more "brown" in it than I prefer. I loved the way Steel Gray Metallic looked on the '04-'07 GMC Sierra body style. You got the Body Colored All Terrain Sierra, of course there's the chrome version still (standard All Terrain model). I prefer the chrome look on trucks, monochromatic paint appearances try to make them more car-like to the consumer who is not a "truck guy". Yours looks great, and I've been tempted by this '12 Sierra All Terrain (body color package) at my GMC dealership:

6015134385.jpg

6015134407.jpg

6015134451.jpg

Of course I would really need a crew cab for my family hauling needs, so that's stick one against this Extend Cab All Terrain. Strike two comes down to the price, it's a loaded truck to begin with and I'd need the financing deal, not the cash rebate so that makes the price still too high (even with my GMC Supplier discount applied). Third comes to the fact I have a white Envoy now and the next vehicle I get must be a color other than white! :lol:

Again, many happy motoring miles with your new GMC Sierra and post more pictures when you can. I'm looking forward to the 2014 model reveal coming up on December 13. If I'm not thrilled with the new '14 Sierra model, I'm hoping I can find a way to get a '13 model when the incentives start next spring/summer to clear them out for the '14s.

*Note: I notice the Canadian window sticker states the body colored grille & bumpers are standards on the All-Terrain package, whereas the US packages offer a standard All-Terrain with chrome grille and bumpers and then the upgrade package that offers the body colored All-Terrain with painted grille and bumpers - limited to certain exterior colors too.

Edited by GMTruckGuy74

Your first photo looks like Mocha Steel, second photo looks like Steel Gray. Maybe it's just something with the camera or the light.

What is the actual color? Gun metal Grey, Steel Grey, Steel blue? Kinda hard to make out on my monitor.

There's a reason I hate smart phone cameras. Yes, it's steel grey. I actually find it peculiar GM offers limited colour selections on the All Terrain package. If they had this in blue, I'd have been too excited and probably end up paying too much! Most people around here have every shade of silver. It's quite odd this colour makes it more unique. I also liked the deeper tone as a contrast to the low-level chrome. My van is silver. My wife's car is silver. I don't hate silver now, but it suuure is gettin' old.

The current Steel Gray Metallic seems to have a little more "brown" in it than I prefer. ...I've been tempted by this '12 Sierra All Terrain (body color package) at my GMC dealership:

6015134385.jpg

Of course I would really need a crew cab for my family hauling needs, ...Strike two comes down to the price, it's a loaded truck to begin with and I'd need the financing deal, not the cash rebate so that makes the price still too high (even with my GMC Supplier discount applied). Third comes to the fact I have a white Envoy now and the next vehicle I get must be a color other than white! :lol:

*Note: I notice the Canadian window sticker states the body colored grille & bumpers are standards on the All-Terrain package, whereas the US packages offer a standard All-Terrain with chrome grille and bumpers and then the upgrade package that offers the body colored All-Terrain with painted grille and bumpers - limited to certain exterior colors too.

They have that colour on the brochure model, and that white one is sweet-looking. Some say it's too much like plastic. I see the point, but I also like the differenciation to everything else on the road. My Monte Carlo Z34 was white with white wheels, and wow do I wish that car didn't get written off. I'd have a tough time choosing between the trucks if I had that side-by-side.

The crew cab was an absolute must for me. Despite only having a 5'8" bed, and apparently GM going longer in 2014 to match Ford with a longer bed on the crew cab, it'll meet our needs far better than the van just adding utility alone.

The price was a tough call against the SLE I originally intended to buy, but the dealer's offer down to nearly wholesale cost, combined with zero interest financing was the moment for me to wonder how much better it could possibly get?

The standard chrome is interesting. It'd be a complete reversal here in that one would have to add the chrome package to the All Terrain model. In this case, for me, adding chrome ends up making it look like every other one out there on the road. My wife's co-workers practically fight over the new aftermarket catalogues at work, challenging each other to one-up their chrome accessory purchase. When they saw my truck, they kept telling me all the chrome bits and pieces I could add. I guess it's a truck-guy thing. Having driven cars half of the time, I got to think chrome was too ricey. Apparently, it's the exact opposite on a truck. :huh:

Thanks for the congrats from all. Again, I'd have more pictures... if it would ever just stop fricken' raining.

I find that "car" guys tend to like monochromatic paint styling on trucks, and "truck" guys like the big rig chrome look. Of course that's quite the generalization, but in my dealings with truck people they tend to add as much chrome (aftermarket) as possible. I'm one for the factory/stock chrome look, especially when it comes to the bumpers (one of my major dislikes with the current GMT-900 SUVs is that they have car-like painted bumper covers - makes them too soft looking). Leave the painted bumper covers for CUVs and minivans, please! Put chromed steel bumpers back on the next GM full-size SUVs :smilewide:

Here's what the standard All-Terrain models look like in the US (in Mocha Steel Metallic):

Xw_640.jpg

I think you made the right decision with the All-Terrain over the SLE1 (however, I love the Sonoma Red over the Steel Gray Metallic - that would have been a tough choice for me). The All-Terrain is giving you more bang for your buck, and if your wife says you don't treat yourself that much you deserve such a truck as this one. All the best with it, and please keep us updated on how it's working out for you. Oh, and soon as that rain stops, more pics please :smilewide:

I find that "car" guys tend to like monochromatic paint styling on trucks, and "truck" guys like the big rig chrome look. Of course that's quite the generalization, but in my dealings with truck people they tend to add as much chrome (aftermarket) as possible. I'm one for the factory/stock chrome look, especially when it comes to the bumpers (one of my major dislikes with the current GMT-900 SUVs is that they have car-like painted bumper covers - makes them too soft looking). Leave the painted bumper covers for CUVs and minivans, please! Put chromed steel bumpers back on the next GM full-size SUVs :smilewide:

Here's what the standard All-Terrain models look like in the US (in Mocha Steel Metallic):

Xw_640.jpg

I think you made the right decision with the All-Terrain over the SLE1 (however, I love the Sonoma Red over the Steel Gray Metallic - that would have been a tough choice for me). The All-Terrain is giving you more bang for your buck, and if your wife says you don't treat yourself that much you deserve such a truck as this one. All the best with it, and please keep us updated on how it's working out for you. Oh, and soon as that rain stops, more pics please :smilewide:

Having been a Truck/Full Size SUV guy all my life, the ONLY place for Chrome is the Front and Rear bumpers and Rims. I hate the look of chrome everywhere else. I grew up with Kenworths and while there is a certain look that I love on a big rig with chrome, I tend to be more Monochromatic. I actually have grown very fond of my 2006 ESV as I have the 3M covering the nose so the monochromatic paint job is perfect, no scratches, well waxed and garaged so it stays like new. With 125K on the odometer, the dealership understand why I will not be trading it in since I do not fit in the newer ones but multiple people there have said if I ever do decide to sell it, they will give me above blue book since it is mint perfect.

Who knows, in 13 years I could have a state collectible plate on it.

WOW, Next year my GMC Suburban SLE turns 20 years old :D:pbjtime:

Just proves, take care of your GMC and it will take care of you!

Rock on with your new beautiful GMC Truck! :metal:

Having been a Truck/Full Size SUV guy all my life, the ONLY place for Chrome is the Front and Rear bumpers and Rims. I hate the look of chrome everywhere else. I grew up with Kenworths and while there is a certain look that I love on a big rig with chrome, I tend to be more Monochromatic.

On the current GMT-900 Sierra, I like the chrome mirror caps and door handles, in addition to the bodyside molding with the chrome strip (as shown on the All-Terrain above). Other than that, any more chrome elsewhere is going overboard (like with the chrome bug shields, door guard edging, ventiport stick-ons, chrome B-pillar covers, etc). I see that all the time on these trucks (Silverado included).