Call me crazy. I bought a spark

I have been all over the map with Chevy lately. In the past four years, I have worked in three different dealerships, driven three different models, test drove the Cruze, Sonic, Spark and Volt and wound up buying what is probably the least popular of the bunch.

I had an Aveo.. then I 'upgraded' to the suspension headache and worsened build quality that was the Cobalt, and for some reason... insanity perhaps? I continue to go back to the mini-hatch Chev-woos.

The Volt was a stunning car to drive, it was balanced well, had plenty of giddy-up and was nothing less than a technological leap in comparison to the other three cars I tested. BUT - the province I live in currently offers NO tax rebate, and $40K is far too much for a guy like me.

The Cruze, was also a pleasant car. I had another well balanced feel, good pep and with the 1.4T it was a nice mixture of style, fuel efficiency and comfort - but I wasn't trading in my Cobalt just yet. Its only two years old. We needed a "second" car.. I also wanted something that was even a little bit unique - and although not a bad thing for GM, or for me someday if I had to buy parts for it - the Cruzes are EVERYWHERE. Also too, with Mylink, and the RS package (the only way I'd take one) the car is priced at close to 30K... pretty high for my budget.

Next, I drove the Sonic. This was certainly a nice little car. Our dealer had a decent stock of Sonics, but I was set on Mylink, and the only way to get a Sonic, carries a sticker of $25K on this side of the 49th. The 1.8 felt as though it was trying way too hard, and almost carried a buzzing noise into the dash. It was a great little 'volks-esque' hatch though.

Lastly, I drove a Jalapeno Green Spark 1LT - $18,045 Sticker... Well optioned for the price. 15" alloys, air, tilt, auto, Mylink, pw, pm, pl, keyless entry, and a host of standard features including Stabilitrak, Traction control and abs. Plenty of car for the price. It felt almost like having my Aveo back, although decidedly more optioned up.... This was a good thing.

Long story short, I loved it. I also loved the fuel economy numbers. I'm not sure its as good as one would assume a 1.25L 4 banger would get, but it has decent pep (although a tad lethargic) handles well, and with Mylink for under 20K it certainly seems like a nice fit. I'm also fond of the interior... its actually super cool with the splash of body color all throughout, on the seats, in the door panels and on the dash.. very cool little car.

I had them bring in a lemonade yellow one, and a week ago today I became a proud papa of a 2013 Spark 1LT. I love it, and the price was right. The color reminds me of, you guessed it.... my 87 Chevette!

Feel free to criticize my choice below!

post-3965-0-42146500-1365800051_thumb.jp

Congrats on the new car. My wife is watching a Korean drama in which one of the main characters drives this car in the same colour, and she mentioned she really likes the car and asks how expensive it is (she is a small car lover).

Congrats on the new Spark! That color is very pastel yellow - perfect for a springtime purchase. My wife was seriously checking out the multiple colored Sparks at the recent NYIAS, including the yellow color. While I am personally not a fan of this car for my own driving pleasure, I don't criticize what others deem perfect for them (I have a feeling my wife will really be buggng me for a 2014 Spark or Ford Fiesta). Best of luck with the new car and many happy motoring miles! Keep us posted and updated on your ownership experience.

OK you are crazy. You said to call you that. LOL!

I have seen many out there and I have been waiting to hear more feed back. I am interested to see how this car is for real people in the real world.

Post how things are and how the experience goes. Cars like this are very important to GM and Chevys future health.

Even our people here that only like V8 RWD should have a interest here as the longevity of the cars they love rest in the success of selling more smaller cars like this into the future. I am not a Spark buyer but I know how well it does will effect what I do buy or am offered in the future.

Good luck! I hope you love this car.

They've grown on me, and I like the color - congrats! I think I'd have to up for the Sonic personally, but when you put the numbers out there packaged the way you would want each one, it's clear that the Sonic would've been a chunk more cash. Hope it proves to be a faithful zippy little car. :)

As far as performance goes, this is most certainly NOT a race car. That said, it is perfectly adequate for city car. The 84hp 1.25L i4 seems to do a fine job of getting around, although it is a tad gutless. The fuel economy is outstanding though. My first tank of fuel hauled me around for 385km, and cost me $34.00 I think that's pretty amazing. (we get flat out raped on fuel costs up here) this was at $1.18/litre. Not as bad as Europe by a long shot, but still not ideal.

As far as handling goes its considerably better than expected for a car that looks taller than it is wide.

Autobox was forced on me. 'The wife' told me he wanted a car he could drive too.. Lol

I LOVE MyLink... Being able to pair by Bluetooth to a keypad on the dash is quite honestly my favorite part of the car. It's a techy types dream. I can really see this little car appealing to cheap hipsters everywhere.

Complaints: (I'm actually reaching to find true real world complaints - I think GM might've found the formula for great little cars after all!)

The front seats, even when cranked all the way down still feel like they're about 6" too high up. I like feeling lower. They're pretty comfortable though, and the blend of body colored accent material and leatherette make for a neat looking interior.

Front seatbelts feel too high on the b pillars. Making the seatbelt tough to grab until you get the hang of them. I'm mostly used to them now though.

The 1.25L 4cyl - "The fuel efficiency compromise"...Oh god why couldn't they turbo this little champ. Not bad, but a tad underpowered.

My score for the spark after week one: 4/5

It's zippy, cute, great on gas and so totally unique.

It is one of two yellow sparks shipped into my city, and the other is in the showroom at the other dealership. It is truly one of a kind until the other one sells. :)

I'm really loving this car.

Congratulations!!! :D That is a pretty little thing. I am surprised but it actually looks good in Yellow. Nothing bad from me, just happy you found something you like. Way to go, Another GM family member. :P

My wife and I drove a Spark 1LT and a Sonic LTZ Turbo at the Philadelphia Auto Show in early February. I found the Spark to be barely acceptable by my standards, mainly because I am not a small vehicle person. The Sonic was world's better in interior space, performance (turbo engine helped), and handling. The wife loved the Spark and said the Sonic was too "boy racer" in appearance. The rep along for the ride said she noted many husband-wives making the same statement all weekend long; wives liking the Spark and husbands preferring the Sonic.

At the end of March I had to drop off the G6 to a local bodyshop for some minordoor adjustnment (wind damage). They initially told me 2-days, so I took my insurance company up on a rental car offer (partial payment). I got a new red 2013 Ford Fiesta SE hatchback. I live in the rural suburbs of Burlington County, working in the Princeton area (32-mile one way commute). Driving the Fiesta on I-295 and then Route 1 was not what I called a pleasant drive in the Fiesta, as the car liked to get into the "truck ruts" in the roadway and I endured a swaying feel to the ride. The transmission was quick to upshift and felt every bit like a manual transmission. Much of the roadway was translated into the steering wheel and I felt EVERYTHING. Bonus was that it handled parking duty very easily due to its size :lol: I felt the gas pedal and brake were too close for my comfort, along with an intruding transmission tunnel (I would copy this test drive experience for the Chevy Spark too). After coming home from work the wife took the car out for a test drive on all local roads and said she did not have the same experience I did. I then commented that this is a "city" car and not a highway commuter, so that's why our experiences differed so much. I would start out at the Sonic/Focus level of sizes and likely would move up from there.

Next spring when the G6 is paid off we're likely going to consider a real cheap lease of a more fuel efficient comapct car for work commuting. If the wife insists on a Spark/Fiesta, I'll go along but told her she'll have the driving duty as I am not comfortable with driving such a tight feeling driver's compartment vehicle. But this morning she say Ford's EcoBoost commercial with the Focus ST and said she likes that car too :bowl:

WOW, Sounds like you've got your work cut out for you! It truly doesnt sound as though you would be the ideal customer for a Spark or even the Sonic/Fiesta sizes.. For you my friend, I would think your G6 is probably about the right size, maybe a Cruze..

For me, I know straight away that the Spark will NOT work for my needs when I need to hit some serious pavement - but I live in a crowded character-home infested neighbourhood (average homes are from the 1910's to 1930's) and many are very close together on very narrow streets... I commute through the city to my office, only ever reaching 70km/h (44mph?) for about 2 minutes of the drive. I truly do not need a Silverado or a CTS to complete this task.. so a 56MPG (Canadian Gallon) car that is spunky, and fairly fun to row about the urban jungle is just perfect for me. When it comes to the serious pavement I've still got my cobalt, and although only a 2.2L Ecotec with a 4-spd Auto.. It is really a great little mill for the highway trips I make every couple of months. Its also going to remain our 'Main' car.. the spark is just another fun little bucket to cruise around town in.

Thanks for the feedback all! Truck Guy... I hope you two find what you're looking for!! :5thgen: Maybe a new Camaro will change her mind? :wavey:

I wish paler yellows were more widespread. I much prefer them to "Highway Department" yellows that are more prevalent nowadays.

chevrolet-00415-1.jpg

I Absolutely Agree... My chevette was this yellow, very similar to the spark, I think its very funky, as I'm not a fan of the super orange -y yellows or oranges you see peeling around... The colour was another total selling point on this car for me, I always wanted a red car, but the Spark doesnt have a red interior trim package, and I didnt want silver inside...Bo-oring.... so I went with my old friend, cream yellow (or lemonade)... Love it.

87Chevette... you hit the nail on the head (small cars are not for me) :lol: However, you got the vehicle of choice all wrong. I do want a Sierra or maybe a new Yukon/XL as my next vehicle. I currently drive an '06 GMC Envoy SLT 4WD and will be upgrading to a new GMC next year (unless I fall in love with a new Canyon for '15). The G6 is the smallest sized car that I'm comfortable driving. The wife on the otherhand has become a small car fan lately, though her first car was a new yellow '91 Geo Storm :P I tried to convince her that a good compromise was the new Verano or Cruze LTZ, but I had no luck. We'll likely keep the G6 when she decides on a new small car in '14 or '15. Since it will be mainly a commuter car for work purposes (we work at the same company), she'll be the driver and I'll sit back and relax :smilewide:

• 7 months later...

Follow up: it's been 8 months, and I still love this car. No problems, no weird noises, nothing! Just a totally and completely solid little car!

Would you consider the car if it had Diesel or convert to CNG for much cheaper fueling?