Acura News: Acura TSX May Be Shown The Door

William Maley

Staff Writer - CheersandGears.com

June 4, 2013

The clock appears to be running out for the Acura TSX. The compact sport sedan and wagon is already being squeezed by the slightly smaller ILX sedan and marginally larger TL and now comes word that a next-generation model might not happen.

According to Automotive News, the future of the TSX is in peril due to future product plans. A source says the next-generation TL, due out in 2014, will become smaller to provide breathing room between it and the RLX. However, that could mean the next TL is right in line with the TSX.

Another problem for the TSX deals with Europe. The TSX is actually the European Honda Accord. Last year, Autocar reported that a next-generation Accord might not happen due to poor sales. This could mean no more TSX.

Acura has told its dealers that a 2014 version of the TSX will arrive this September. After this, it's anyone's guess.

Source: Automotive News (Subscription Required)

William Maley is a staff writer for Cheers & Gears. He can be reached at [email protected] or you can follow him on twitter at @realmudmonster.

View full article

Integra/RSX were interesting, and I know the Integra sold well for many years. Why they would abandon those customers is a mystery. Whoever is handling the Acura brand at Honda needs to get back to their roots... Integra and Legend, in their early iterations, were very effective products. Now the whole brand is (seemingly purposely) invisible.

• Agree 1

They might as well show the ILX, TSX, TL, RLX, and RDX all the door. Close the whole brand down, no one will miss it.

It does make sense to make the TL smaller, it is fairly big, if the ILX is around 180 inch length, and the RLX is 196, the TL could slot in around 190 inches long, which is very midsize. That is actually very close to how Buick has their cars sized. Still not sure why you'd buy an Acura, they are just the Japanese Lincoln, waiting for extinction.

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

• 4 weeks later...

Not to be jaded, but has someone who has worked with the Acura brand day in & day out and earns my living thanks to the brand, in addition to getting to visit behind the scenes and meet and see many things I never expected to be able to, it is a well done niche brand that will continue and has values no other brand can touch.

Right now products like our all new 2014 MDX and the 2013 RDX from last year are far and away shining stars. I drive a TSX daily and currently a 2013. While it lacks some recent tech like push button access, the build quality, driving dynamics, and performance are right there. I enjoy tossing mine around daily and that beautiful Honda VTEC 2.4L loves revving all day long and still getting 35 on the highway with a lot of power.

What is happening is this. Both the TSX and TL are due for remakes. The TL has gotten a bit big and the TSX also has, at least vs. what it was before. Rather than continue with both, we will have one sedan either called the TSX or TLX that combines attributes of both with the latest styling, Earth Dreams powertrains, features, etc. of our latest cars.

If you have not experienced one, there's nothing like an SH-AWD TL with the screaming 3.7L V6 and torque vectoring SH-AWD. All the fun in the current should continue, with a lot of new variety and better styling.

It's interesting how so many reviews talk about the RLX based on printed dimensions not being that much larger than some other "smaller" cars but in reality it is a LARGE car and back doors & seat especially, it looks and feels huge. Yet fun to toss around.

Acura is not for everyone, and that's fine. Styling especially has varied a lot over the years. The quality is always there, they are performance machines, and you get a driving experience and sport that no floppy Lexus or unrefined Infiniti can touch, with better long term quality and much lower cost, combined with resale through the roof.

It's a fun smaller company. Honda has had their ups and downs, yet thankfully the engineering company status is here to stay. Don't mind me, while I'm out zinging around with a screaming VTEC on the highway curves.

Don't forget, I also own a Regal GS...so I see and drive lots of things, and appreciate great cars period, brand regardless :thumbsup:

Edited by caddycruiser

The last generation TSX was a much better car than the current beak mobile. My wife still has the 2005 TSX we purchased in 2006 with ~25k on the odo. Now with ~107K miles on it, it is still going strong. Barring minor stuff like back heat pad of driver seat, water pump leak, and locked center console lid cover - all fixed under warranty the car has been trouble free. That 6-speed really hangs with the 330i ZHP in the hills of TN.

A fun tossable polo pony that got matured without gaining horsepower. Also, quality of the materials in the new TSX is less that the old one, to a point that even my wife scoffed at it as tupperware class.

The last generation TSX was a much better car than the current beak mobile. My wife still has the 2005 TSX we purchased in 2006 with ~25k on the odo. Now with ~107K miles on it, it is still going strong. Barring minor stuff like back heat pad of driver seat, water pump leak, and locked center console lid cover - all fixed under warranty the car has been trouble free. That 6-speed really hangs with the 330i ZHP in the hills of TN.

A fun tossable polo pony that got matured without gaining horsepower. Also, quality of the materials in the new TSX is less that the old one, to a point that even my wife scoffed at it as tupperware class.

That's interesting. I really like the last gen TSX in a smaller tighter form, but the material quality and finish inside of the 2009 is clearly better IMHO without all the hard plastic panels that feel thin and scrape up on the center console and dash, etc. of the first gen. They are not far off, but I end up liking the newer model more back to back, even though it is bigger with less direct steering feel, and softer nicer looking materials and dash. Both are extremely nice cars. I had a client replace his older Lexus LS "day to day run about" with a 2004 TSX we had with 80k miles on it. Enjoys the drive and performance a lot.

Great tough cars. The powertrains are great especially, even with the 5-speed auto and that 2.4L. I get incredible mileage and the best of it doing 75-80mph, singing along.

Edited by caddycruiser

The grille...

On that note. Very interesting. Very few people actually mention this, though at an auto show I had a guy tell me he always bought Acura's until the newer "grille beak" ones came out and then just because of a grille (his excuse I still don't believe) had "had to" switch to a Mercedes C-class. Needless to say after doing so, that car was nice, but he was back to checking out Acura's.

Then I've taken my various models home to my parents before. Mom likes them but out of the blue pointed at the grille on my TSX once and "is that optional? I don't like it". Interesting to see someone like that who doesn't see Acura's often anyway (Delaware after all) say they like everything but that. Such a small detail, and I do like it.

I think the best front end right now is on the small car, of everything, the ILX. With it's curves, lights, and grille design, really is put together well.

2006 TSX is still my daily driver. I still love driving it, not really missing the newer tech in new models. Only changes aside from the aspec suspension is a thicker rear sway bar. Not a big fan of the second gen, would probably replace it with a Mazda6 if something happened to the car. It's been bulletproof, we've only been back to the dealer for wiper blades and one recall. If anything my only complaint is the soft paint.

That's interesting. I really like the last gen TSX in a smaller tighter form, but the material quality and finish inside of the 2009 is clearly better IMHO without all the hard plastic panels that feel thin and scrape up on the center console and dash, etc. of the first gen. They are not far off, but I end up liking the newer model more back to back, even though it is bigger with less direct steering feel, and softer nicer looking materials and dash. Both are extremely nice cars. I had a client replace his older Lexus LS "day to day run about" with a 2004 TSX we had with 80k miles on it. Enjoys the drive and performance a lot.

Great tough cars. The powertrains are great especially, even with the 5-speed auto and that 2.4L. I get incredible mileage and the best of it doing 75-80mph, singing along.

My wife and I could tell the sacrifice in the interior quality. Especially the plastics on the dash, the feel of buttons, and the upholstery on the A-pillar. Honda has cut some corners there no doubt.

Also, props to Acura dealers' service department. The car has been at 4 dealerships in three states for service. The service provided has been spectacular. BMW has horrible service compared to that. Honestly, the virtues of Acura brand were - to be lean, friendly dealership, cheap luxury with tremendous value, and 9/10th sportiness compared to a RWD competitor. The new cars lack that and that is one of the main reasons for the demise of the brand. I still would not mind having the old TL Type-S with 6 speed, but the new bugs-bunny mobile is just awful.

2006 TSX is still my daily driver. I still love driving it, not really missing the newer tech in new models. Only changes aside from the aspec suspension is a thicker rear sway bar. Not a big fan of the second gen, would probably replace it with a Mazda6 if something happened to the car. It's been bulletproof, we've only been back to the dealer for wiper blades and one recall. If anything my only complaint is the soft paint.

Yes the car is bulletproof. A perfect daily driver without being too ostentatious.

Guest potluck

Acura is for the person that says they're into cars but really just wants a more special appliance than their neighbors.

Actually all of Acura could be shown the door. They have no real design language, their auto's can not fit anyone over 5'8 comfortably. They are designed for little people by little people and it shows and I really think they are way over rated. A auto line that could go away and no one would really miss them.

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

The TSX is the same thing as the Japanese and European Accord. I don't know how well the Japanese Accord does, but I did read recently that the European Accord sells poorly and will be discontinued. This may contribute to why the TSX may be discontinued.

The TSX is the same thing as the Japanese and European Accord. I don't know how well the Japanese Accord does, but I did read recently that the European Accord sells poorly and will be discontinued. This may contribute to why the TSX may be discontinued.

No. This is more the case the current TSX is nearing end of product cycle anyway, alongside the TL of same vintage. Overseas it is the Accord, but that car is a higher line and tighter, trimmer version than the dumbed down wide-body Accord we've always gotten here.

It's just end of model cycle (started 2009 remember) and with the TL at the same point, and the new ILX, it's time and a good move to combine both. Hopefully with some powertrain options as well. Expect great things from the next car. Everyone enjoys the new Accord. Take the kind of step forward that was from the previous gen gangly look and lacking in some refinement vs. before, and do the same and more for where the TSX/TL are today, and it's a good idea I think.

We'll see. The current TSX is a perfect size for me right now, I will say. Very comfortable, and more refined than the 1st gen. Great seats, visibility, solid as could be, and impressive mileage. Coming to an end well, for a generation now.

I like the current TL and TSX except for grille styling. Only though in the context of the nameless model names and knowing that the actual Honda products keep getting watered down and diluted.

Accords are now and probably always have been tinny four bangers that are loud and have cheap plastic and now CVT's.

I at least like being inside the TL and TSX.

Acura has no styling identity though.

MDX and RDX are more tarted up crossovers so if they float the brand like so many other lux brands that just really tells you all you need to know. It's about the crossovers. And the RDX was a huge turd until they just fixed it. The MDX has always been a star and the current Pilot is such a piece of garbage in terms of style so that alone guarantees sales for the MDX.

The ILX is the problem now, it's half baked and really comes in out of character vs. the TL and TSX. I really am fine with the sizes of those two as is but ILX upsets that apple cart. How are TL and TSX supposed to be core products anymore when ILX is out to steal sales and crossovers are what they actually want to sell?

RLX is the car no one cares about. This further effs it up.

Why can't we go back to the good old days, Integra, Legend, Vigor....etc.

Could we be seeing Acura kill off their cars due to going to a modular new base design that will allow them to have higher quality but go back to their smaller is better, simpler roots of a driving machine?

In looking around and reading elsewhere, I have to wonder if Acura is not looking to standardize their product lines to reduce cost, improve profits and still allow them to have two distinct auto's.

• 6 months later...
  • 2 years later...