Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

2014 Fiat 500L Easy MT and automatic

TESTED

2014 Fiat 500L East MT and AT, prices, MSRP 20,995 and 23,045

HIGHS

Efficient packaging for space and function, especially for such a small physical size; perfect for condo parking or small townhome garages.

More space and utility for a lot less dough than a Buick Encore or Mini Countryman (or whatever that is)

Cheap way to go for space and mpg combo.

Fix It Again Tony, as long as Tony is working in the dealer service department - the 500L has a 4 year, 50k warranty.

Cheeky Italian personality translates well from its smaller sibling the 500

Easy steering, parking, maneuvering. Not an intimidating vehicle to drive.

Room and comfort in all dimensions for passengers. Chair high seating all around. Lots of room for shuttling kids.

High visibility all around. Commanding view of the road through the front bubble.

Does not possess the SUV character; its more like a small minivan. Being billed as a 'urban utility vehicle' is basically spot on.

Interesting interior has good gauges and nice radio setup.

6MT shift lever is very nice to grab and the shifter and clutch itself are very slick.

Automatic transmission equipped version is much snappier and can be driven without fear in traffic. Gets up to speed nicely.

Engine is actually otherwise smooth in operation.

Quiet inside, no harsh riding, you don't feel bumps much.

Handy fold and tumble second row seats, that plus a wider hatch, you can really get a good sized tall box in the back.

LOWS

Unacceptable and borderline unsafe turbo lag and lack of throttle response in MT vehicle. No confidence in ability to accelerate, or guess when your speed will build. Severe torque lack until turbo lag is over.

Lag is much much less with AT but still exists.

Overall powertrain refinement and delivery is not really up to standards of a drivable car in the US, the MT anyways. The AT is probably passable.

Track feels narrow, can feel tippy with squishy soft steering when driving even the slightest bit aggressive.

Like the 500, the seat bottoms are contoured the most bizarre way and also the seat adjuster bar is way too far back.

Climate controls too far down.

Quirky, odd character and Euro-palatable style is out of the mainstream in the US.

Can feel like a bubble machine, and otherwise odd, depending on your vehicle tastes of the past.

If you get down to brass tacks, you can buy something like an Escape S with almost the same mpg and with more space, better dynamics, and an overall more palatable package for less money.

SUMMARY

This is a great choice for consumers to have. Something different, and something for someone who likes the 500 but needs more space. If you are attracted to that and need a good urban and suburban getabout that is functional for shuttling family or stuff and doesn't take up much space, this is a nice choice. This vehicle would benefit from some added sportiness in ride and handling and steering. It is biased for soft ride and easy steering now, but it makes it squishy when you get the slightest bit of road ambition. There is no scenario yet by which I would recommend the MT version (despite the slick shifter and clutch) until they fix the major problem with turbo lag and throttle setup. It's dangerous and in 2013 needs to be upgraded. The AT allows you to get up and go much quicker and smoother, and has more than enough juice for the task at hand. The seating is still a bit screwed up like it is on the 500. For some reason Fiat has a very odd conception on how seats should be shaped for the USA.

It is possible the higher models drive a little better, but I did not test them.

The packaging and design of this vehicle need to be evaluated separately from the powertrains and handling / driving / ride. Therefore I am going to break my grading out separately here.

design- A-

packaging- A

MT powertrain C-/D+ (maybe someone else can choose for me here)

AT powertrain B+

ride and drive B-

If Fiat invests in some ongoing tuning of some of the these things, I think this could really spearhead a big push from the brand in the US. Even as it is, you'd have to really think twice about spending the extra dough for an Encore or Countryman, if this is the type of vehicle you want. For me, personally, I would get like an Escape S. Where GM is concerned, it really makes you wonder why they do not sell the Trax here in the US.

Edited by regfootball

My fear is that these entry level turbo cars will lul people into a false sense of security and then when they really need instant power they end up in an accident. I personally do not feel these cars are really all that safe on todays freeways.

• Disagree 2

Cruze 1.4 turbo manual has no such issue!

I have heard this from others as well and I am glad GM built a solid Turbo engine as far as people can tell at this time. Plus the cruz is considerably bigger than the Fiat 500 which I have always felts was a coffin on wheels.

My fear is that these entry level turbo cars will lul people into a false sense of security and then when they really need instant power they end up in an accident. I personally do not feel these cars are really all that safe on todays freeways.

idi20amin20lol.gif

Like all those no-power cars from the 80's that didn't have instant power and all ended up in accidents, amiright!

• Agree 3