CR loves the 2014 Impala

Good to hear... I really like the styling of the new Impala, seen a couple of the road, and the local Chevy store has a few on the front row. I'd like to rent one to compare to past impressions of the old Impala (which I've driven a dozen or more as rentals and the Taurus, which I've had a couple rentals of)..

I'm a big fan of the current Ford Taurus and I think the new Impala, once i get some seat time in one, will replace that car as my new favorite. I saw a beautiful new '14 Impala LTZ in the dark metallic blue in Baltimore yesterday and I was all :wub: Chevy/GM definitely has a winner on their hands with this car.

While I'm not a fan of CR and don't value their opinions or autos much due to my perception that they are biased, I don't think there is any question that their glowing review of the new Impala will be big for GM and for sales of the car.

Agreed. Impala wasn't on my radar, as it's not really my sort of thing and I find some aspects of the interior ugly, but after CR's test results were released, I saw the car in new light. It does seem like an attractive package. GM sure has come a long way with Epsilon II; it seems like they ironed out all the kinks with this latest (and final) variant. I'd like to see one with the engine from Cruze Diesel.

While not a fan of CR, I am glad they finally did get some solid good press and hope this really helps with peoples perception of American Auto's. Go GM Go :metal:

I would not use CR for toilet paper as over the years I have had to repair and deal with so many of their recommended cars but that is another story.

I am glad as this report will help a car that is a very fine car. The Impala hooked me the first time I saw it in photo's and took me in to it's grip even more when I got to sample it in person.

GM hit the segment just right with this one. They go the styling the interior and the ride and handling just right and they are not attempting to make it more than it really is with some SS emblems.

This car is so much nicer and better than the Taurus and dare I say the non performance Charger. The refinement Cadillac did to this platform did a lot for Chevy as it carried over and made the Chevy a better car by all they did. I see this also happening with the Camaro and all other Alphas due to the Cadillac investment.

This is just supposed to be a good all around FWD sedan and it hits high on all marks. It is not a car for someone wanting a true sports sedan and it does not try to be but it handles well and rides better. Too often GM has tried to make cars be more than they really are and they end up Half Ass as all they do. Letting the SS be what it is and Impala is a great advantage for GM.

When my Taurus/Shelby Mustang owning buddy came to me and said he saw some new Chevy that looked like a really expensive car. He went on how nice it looked and said if he had not just bought the Taurus he may have been a GM owner. That is when I knew GM hit a home run with this one. He normally is a I hate GM kind of guy but had to break down no this one as said they got it right.

The lesser LT models still look good and not cheap as some more base models did in the past.

I know sales may never hit the fleet discounted numbers with this model but I expect this one to be much more profitable many times over.

While the CR reports mean nothing to most people in the automotive know they will do things for GM with the many who have no clue that follow ever CR word. This segment was out of reach for so long and these people do what they are told and it will help GM market this car so much more.

More important this will get people into the dealers that would never have gone to a Chevy Showroom. The dealers need to get their acts together and show these people they as good to deal with as the dealers they are used to and like. Also this car will open the door to other models in the GM line they may see on the visit.

Edited by hyperv6

• 2 months later...

I almost fainted too when I read Consumer Reports review on this car. I have sat in one and it seems like a big step up from mine. Though my 2008 will have to do for now this could be a good replacement for it when that time comes. I do find it funny though that it weighs about 3800 pounds. That's as much as my 1985 Caprice and 1981 Bonneville. No longer can people say that those 2 cars are big heavy beasts since the new one is just as heavy.

• Agree 1

I almost fainted too when I read Consumer Reports review on this car. I have sat in one and it seems like a big step up from mine. Though my 2008 will have to do for now this could be a good replacement for it when that time comes. I do find it funny though that it weighs about 3800 pounds. That's as much as my 1985 Caprice and 1981 Bonneville. No longer can people say that those 2 cars are big heavy beasts since the new one is just as heavy.

Interesting...lighter than I thought it would be..figured it would be more around 4000lbs.

Interesting...lighter than I thought it would be..figured it would be more around 4000lbs.

GM has started to make a real effort regarding the weight issue; now it's a matter of the lessons learned from the Alpha/ATS engineering being spread throughout GM's platform and product development.

If you compare Buick EP2 vehicles (Regal and LaCrosse) and Chevy EP2.5 vehicles (Malibu and Impala), EP2.5 vehicles are approximately 100 - 150 lb lighter for comparable trims. IIRC, EP2.5 vehicles had additional amount of high strength structural steel added to them.

My bet is SWB EP3 would be weighing the same as the ATS, given the reduction you can expect.

I have to admit... I subscribe to Consumer Reports. It's hard to find detailed ratings, places like JD Power really don't go into enough specifics. I say I find they're methods of predicting reliability and coming up with overall ratings seem off. You'll have a vehicle that gets a mostly perfect score and it will be listed as "below-average" for their overall score/predicted rating. Hard to see the logic in it.