Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

July 2013: General Motors Co.

GM’s Retail Sales Increased 23 percent in July

• Total sales up 16 percent driven by double-digit increases at all four brands

2013-08-01

DETROIT – General Motors Co. (NYSE: GM) dealers delivered 234,071 vehicles in the United States in July, up 16 percent compared with a year ago. Retail sales increased 23 percent while fleet sales declined 6 percent.

“For GM, July was the most well-balanced month of the year from a retail sales standpoint: trucks were hot, but so were small cars and family vehicles,” said Kurt McNeil, vice president, U.S. sales operations. “Our experience shows that the difference between good sales and great sales in a slow-growth economy is how many new products you have to offer, and we are starting to hit our sweet spot.”

July Total Sales Highlights (vs. 2012)

• GM passenger car sales were up 24 percent year over year, including a 42 percent increase in mini-, small and compact car deliveries.
  • Chevrolet car sales were up 31 percent driven by a record month for the Spark, record July sales for the Cruze and a 38 percent increase for the Impala.
  • Cadillac car sales were up 34 percent on the strength of the new ATS and XTS.
  • Pickup, van and SUV sales were up a combined 16 percent with full-size pickups up 44 percent – the best July since 2007.
  • About 15 percent of full-size pickup sales were all-new 2014 crew cabs. Double-cab models are now being shipped to dealers and regular cab production begins later this summer.
  • Crossover sales were up 6 percent, with the redesigned Chevrolet Traverse and Buick Enclave up 33 percent and 14 percent, respectively. Sales of the all-new Buick Encore increased 39 percent from June 2013.

July Retail Sales Highlights (vs. 2012)

• All four brands posted double-digit retail sales increases and Buick retail sales have now increased for 15 consecutive months.
  • Full-size pickup deliveries were up 51 percent and crossover sales increased 18 percent.
  • Deliveries to small business customers increased 61 percent, including a 107 percent increase in full-size pickup deliveries.
  • Sales of the Chevrolet Malibu increased 31 percent and the Chevrolet Equinox had its best-ever July retail sales with deliveries up 9 percent.
  • GMC Terrain sales were up 24 percent for its best-ever July.

Encore doing very well. Most dealerships around here can't keep them on the lot. CTS, Regal and Lacrosse in "switchover" mode. Traverse's handsome new face and Enclave doing very nicely with Acadia bringing up the rear of those triplets for growth, but Acadia still selling very very well.

WOW! Look at IMPALA!

Buick sales aren't looking so hot though the Encore seems to be doing pretty well. I wonder what GM's annual target was for it?

The Cruze actually outsold the Crapolla. I'm assuming that is a byproduct of the super cheap lease deals I keep hearing advertised on the radio. The lambda's are still selling well. The Equinox and Terrain are still selling pretty well considering they are getting pretty dated. The Spark is selling pretty well.

All-in-all a good month for GM!

Encore is doing well, imagine if the engine had some more power to it. But it sits in a space there there aren't any direct competitors, which I think is a good thing. I wonder how long until they put the Regal out of its misery, that thing is bombing, as is the Malibu. You need to bring your A-game in that midsize car segment.

The ATS seems a bit lackluster for being a new model and the entry Cadillac, but I think the cramped interior and front end styling hurt it. I am curious how the new CTS will sell with the higher price, and how that ATS-CTS-XTS will shake out and if all 3 will sell 2900 a month like they just did.

I read the old Impala was still being sold along with the new one, which I don't know why but must be like when they did Malibu Classic and sold 2 Malibus for a while. That 12,000 Impalas might be due to the old ones being sold.