2013 Subaru Outback 3.6 Limited

A few weeks back, I took a still in the wrapper 2013 Subaru Outback 3.6 Limited in on trade, with just over 2900 miles. The clients had owned a 1999 Lexus RX300 for many years and many miles, and then decided after a few trials to get the Outback and specifically with the 3.6L engine "it has a lot more power, and is a lot nicer to drive" they said. But it didn't click. They have a lot of friends with Acura MDX's that sing the praises, and decided after driving one to trade it in again on the all new 2014 Acura MDX.

So we now have the Outback for sale, with 3000 miles. It's an interesting package, as it has heated leather seats and the nicer audio, but a manual dimming mirror, no sunroof and no backup camera. New to the point the all season floor mats are still in a bag in the back of the car, and not a mark anywhere in sight.

I took it home this weekend to try it out, as I'm a Subie fan and have never driven a 2010+ model. This is the 2013 with some revisions, and after a day, I'm very impressed with the drive.

IMG_1602_zps36e03431.jpg

IMG_5778_zps00d9cdaa.jpg

IMG_1810_zps86275108.jpg

IMG_8048_zps6c92b0ba.jpg

It's very tight to drive and feels SOLID everywhere. The doors have a nice sound too, versus other Subaru's I've been in and some other cars. The height is nice for head room and it's easy to get in and out of. After some fiddling, very comfortable front seats too, and good visibility.

More impressive is the drive. It's a wagon with a raised suspension but feels very solid and tight on the road, but takes bumps like nothing thanks to the large sidewalls and higher suspension. Very firm and weighted steering also. This particular car has Continental tires and doesn't have much of any road noise either.

Most important, the 3.6L boxer is everything I expected. Feels like a Subie, if that makes sense, but in a very slick, high end roarty way with torque all over, and a responsive transmission. You feel the car gripping all over, and the 3.6L makes nice thick sounds and moves hard when pushed. Very enjoyable to drive and after having the 3.6L, I don't know if I could make due with the much more common 2.5L/CVT most of these are.

Overall too, the car does not feel as large as it looks. Looking behind me, from back seat to the cargo area, it almost seems like a more voluminous car than something like an RDX or Terrain/Equinox I'm used to, which is a good thing.

Verdict. Great to get to drive this over the weekend, and I see why they continue to be so popular. The 3.6L is the one to get if you don't already like the 2.5L versions, and I've enjoyed my weekend with it. I would buy one, after having tried this one.

Awesome review, glad to hear they still have it and I agree with Ocnblu, they need to ignor the main stream and stay with their niche.

Question for you, how bad does a person take it when trading in a car like this with only 3000 miles? Do they loose a few thousand off what they pay or is it more?

I understand the Jones / Jones competition makes people feel they have to have the same type of auto everyone else is driving but the depreciation hit on a new car makes me cringe when I see cars like this traded in only months after buying it. Talk about buyers remorse.

The thing is their previous perception. For a previous Subaru owner, that would be a big step up in luxury and they would be thrilled with it. Coming from just about any luxury make, the more economical underpinnings of the car and the car's interior will show through.

I've driven the 2.5 but not the 3.6. I am certain the 3.6 would leave an entirely different perception.

The Outback and Legacy can seem quite posh with the leather. With cloth and lesser trims, the cheaper dash plastic sort of shows off more.

The seating is not car low and not crossover tall, it's kind of inbetween. If your frame of mind is you are driving a wagon, it seems tall. If you think you are driving a crossover, it seems lower than you would like.

This vehicle was a huge step up for Subaru in size and feel and stuff. The Outback can feel a little slow in the steering and soft in the loafers but in comparo to a crossover its pretty good.

The 2.5's get super mpg once the CVT winds down. I have a friend who told me once that 30 on the highway was no prob.

I am keeping the Legacy sedan as a darkhorse in my mind as a possible future lease.

This is exactly the kind of car that makes Subaru a Subaru and why they should continue to serve their niche well rather than diversify. I can see where in markets where AWD is not needed that maybe they consider offering a FWD Impreza and Legacy for example.

Note to GM: that picture of the back seat is what real back seat leg room is all about. Hey GM why do none of your cars have this backseat leg room. Why can I get that on a 22k price Legacy?

Edited by regfootball

The space in this car is incredible, and that height plus the wagon body style that give it the looks make it a living room inside.

There will always be those semi cheap semi "is it from 10 years ago?" styling choices on places like the center stack/audio inside, always making it Subaru, but in real life it's not objectionable. The USB interface, Bluetooth, etc. all work like anything else does.

Driving the car back to work again this morning I was again most impressed by just the refinement of it all. Quiet, powerful, unique 6-cyl roar, and in all my driving home this weekend, around for shopping, and back again, that gas gauge didn't move much.

Reminded me again also why my 1996 was so cool, and why when my mother was considering an AWD crossover, and liked dad's old Legacy herself, I recommended a 3.6L Outback. She objected, but I think if given seat time, would go for it.

Nice car. Now to sell it :thumbsup:

one thing about the legacy and the outback to me that seem cheap, the seat sculpting. they are wide for Americans, but seem flat, lumpy and unsupportive, not shaped or contoured much. Just on first impression. How do the seats really feel?

In this car with full power and heated leather, I was comfortable. I wouldn't describe them as either too flat or overly bolstered. In between. When adjusted, they were supportive enough and comfortable, and the right mix of soft/firm with a good headrest.

Sometimes I can't get comfortable in certain cars. This is not one of them. It feels big when you get in, so you have to coordinate yourself and the seat in the space, but then it's good to go.

Edited by caddycruiser

• 1 month later...

Such a shame the previous owners didn't keep it. Probably wasn't luxurious enough for them. I'm partial to Subarus because I've owned two legacys but the Outback drives better and is more capable in the winter. I test drove a 2011 legacy and was impressed. It still felt like a Subaru. Good grip and solid build quality. My only issue with it was the throttle. It was too light and wasn't as responsive as older models. Not sure if they addressed that in the later models. Another gripe I have is how big the Outback and Legacy have become. They're definitely not mid sized anymore. But Subaru is selling a lot more of them now so who am I to complain.

Edited by J Reinhardt

Such a shame the previous owners didn't keep it. Probably wasn't luxurious enough for them. I'm partial to Subarus because I've owned two legacys but the Outback drives better and is more capable in the winter. I test drove a 2011 legacy and was impressed. It still felt like a Subaru. Good grip and solid build quality. My only issue with it was the throttle. It was too light and wasn't as responsive as older models. Not sure if they addressed that in the later models. Another gripe I have is how big the Outback and Legacy have become. They're definitely not mid sized anymore. But Subaru is selling a lot more of them now so who am I to complain.

They enjoyed it and really did some research, after telling me about "The 6-cylinder is so much different than the standard one. We drove several and that's why we bought this one", but at the end of the day they missed having a bigger SUV, after their '99 Lexus RX300 with a ton of miles. Subaru was a good try, but didn't click for them.

It has now been sold and is residing out of state somewhere, new home and a good deal vs. brand new.