Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Buick News: Rumorpile: General Motors Close To A Decision On Opel Cascada For Buick

William Maley

William Maley

Staff Writer - CheersandGears.com

September 14, 2013

Earlier this year, General Motors CEO Dan Akerson said that if the Opel Adam and Cascada convertible were sold in the U.S., that it "would help Buick in this market and in China in terms of demographics." Since then, rumors and speculation have been flying on whether either one of these models would appear in the U.S.

This week, we reported that Opel Adam is under consideration for the U.S. But it will likely not come until the next-generation model is launched if it is given the green light.

Now, we have an update on the Opel Cascada.

Insiders told Edmunds this week that the Opel Cascada becoming a Buick model "could happen soon." The Cascada is expected to have an easier time getting over the U.S. than Adam since it is loosely based on the Opel Insignia/Buick Regal. No word yet on a possible date.

Source: Edmunds

William Maley is a staff writer for Cheers & Gears. He can be reached at [email protected] or you can follow him on twitter at @realmudmonster.

View full article

this would be a nice addition for Buick as a niche car. It makes more sense than trying to develop a new large coupe convertible.

Adam, and Astra/Verano 3 door hatch at a minimum should also be here. The 5 door hatch and wagon Astras would be nice niche models too.

With the Anthem coming, I would not bring over the Insignia wagon.

There's a huge market about to be up for grabs for a car like this- The Eos and C70 are being shown the door soon (next year?) and the status of the Lexus IS, Infiniti, and Chrysler 200 models aren't exactly certain either.

Other than BMW/Audi/Mercedes, what does that leave you with?

This is needed for a mid level convertible and will sell well for the first 3-5 years and then tapper off once the convertible demand is met.

Adam is a no brainer as that is also needed in a mid luxury level that people want especially if they offer an awd version of it.

The Cascada is expected to have an easier time getting over the U.S. than Adam since it is loosely based on the Opel Insignia/Buick Regal. No word yet on a possible date.

Source: Edmunds

Edmunds needs to get their facts straight: Opel Cascada is on Delta like the Astra/Verano, not on Epsilon...

Even Caddillac is changing its image from the fuddy duddy and its working. Buick could use a shot in the arm by getting a sexy looking car to a different target audience. The "Cascada" is certainly NOT your dad's Buick.

LOL stealing a Oldsmobile tag line I see, was it the early 90's that they use the tag "This is not your dads Oldsmobile!"

Even Caddillac is changing its image from the fuddy duddy and its working. Buick could use a shot in the arm by getting a sexy looking car to a different target audience. The "Cascada" is certainly NOT your dad's Buick.

Buick needs to market the Turbo Verano a lot more. It is a fantastic little luxury compact

Buick needs to market the Turbo Verano a lot more. It is a fantastic little luxury compact

the used manual turbo Verano the dealer in my worktown had left that lot surprisingly quick. I don't know if it actually got sold or auctioned back. But it does in some way make me think there was a demand for it.

LOL stealing a Oldsmobile tag line I see, was it the early 90's that they use the tag "This is not your dads Oldsmobile!"

Thanks dfelt, I actually couldn't remember which used the line (since I think they were both considered "fuddy duddy") so I am sure you got my point. There is no question some brands get an "old people" label and I think Caddy is an example of how to get on board with a younger buying demographic. I started liking the Caddillacs more but maybe its the years and I am now old people.

The other posters show that a Turbo, a sleeker design and keeping up with personal technology is reaching more of an audience.

The Chinese market would gobble that car up. They expect to sell 3 million cars this year in the peoples republic. A car like this would be a huge boost to the brand and further solidify China as Buick's largest market.

The air pollution in China is among the world in the world. However, like most people that live in Shanghai or Beijing, they just ignore it.

The fact is convertibles aren't all that common there yet and Chinese buyers will more than likely snatch up something that isn't all that common. It's all about having the nicest and newest things if you're part of the burgeoning middle class.