2014 Toyota Corolla LE Eco

when i get home tonight I will finish this up. It's not as bad as I think the buff mags are making it out to be. At the same time, it does not advance the state of the art.

The interior is surprisingly nice or at least better than expected. And it's greatly improved, but that is not saying much.

I thought the seat sucked.

My theme is that the Corolla and the Sentra IMO are two peas in a pod. In fact, I think they excuse themselves from being a competitor in the arena where driving dynamics are part of the equation and they really to me are part of the growing class of vehicles that people merely look to as high mpg, minimum fuss, mind numbing commuter pods.

It's scary how similar in a near complete fashion the Corolla and Sentra are. If I were to choose between the two, I would choose the Corolla as it has a theme that is more sporty. Otherwise, we have 130hp CVT front drive cars without much sound deadener, with an ok amount of room, and a sort of faux style inside about them. Ask me tomorrow and I might choose the Sentra.

A week later I finally get to finish this. Hope I did not forget too much.....

Tested 2014 Toyota Corolla LE Eco Automatic (20? +/- MSRP)

HIGHS

Corolla is improved in style, inside and out

Some style cues tie in with the rest of Toyota's newest products

CVT trans with stepped programming is executed to a superior level, no 'drone'

Fuel efficiency

Car retains and large size and features increased room and space

Good car for the daily commute

Large trunk

Fairly decent acceleration for 130hp on tap, more spunk than you'd think

Nice radio and climate control layout

Some interesting surfaces and detailing inside

Attractive instrument panel

Car has a sporty presence compared to many other Toyota products

All things considered, good value for the money

LOWS

Still has a bit of a small car ride

Steering a bit dull and slow

Car still feels a bit short of bank vault solid, does not graduate from old school compact car feel totally.

Rear seat room is not enlarged as much as the numbers say

TERRIBLE drivers seat. Narrow, shaped badly, thin, chintzy padding.

Engine that works hard lets you know that aurally when you ask a lot of it

Small mirrors

Cabin does not feel particularly airy

Too much road noise and tinny sound in cabin, engine is buzzy and needs an update

driver ergonomics and dash relationship is a bit off if you like the driver oriented interiors of the Cruze and Focus.

Falls short of too many other cars in the class for road manners and noise abatement.

Would still be rated behind too many other cars in the segment.

SUMMARY

"Automotive death on four wheels, with a new funeral suit, and a larger, more spacious casket" ?

Not exactly, that's really a bit harsh. One has to have proper perspective when reviewing the new Corolla. First of all, the old Corolla was very dated. This new one is very much a big upgrade, but not so much that it transcends it into the hot group. What it does do is bring the Toyota current and relevant again. Toyota really is trying to do exactly what is being done with the Sentra. It's an economical commuter pod with good space and it makes the most of a paltry engine to create a minimum fuss commuter vehicle.

It will be very evident if you drive even a Cruze LT vs. this car that the Cruze is much more buttoned down. But Toyota (and Nissan) have realized that so many of the buyers (especially the repeat Japanese brand buyers) have no concern or much less any ability to judge how excellent any new car really is. For a repeat Toyota customer, this car is greatly improved and a huge upgrade. Really, the Sentra and Corolla are just satisfying the basics. And they will sell hundreds of thousands of them.

The Corolla has a semblance of a sporty feel now, especially compared to the Sentra. The interesting interior and faux sportiness of it should create interest in the market for it, in addition to the newly improved mpg with the really good CVT. I was skeptical about the stepped CVT operation, but it really did seem quite transparent and effective to me, as I have driven many CVT cars. It really makes great use of the paltry engine and it is very smooth in operation. CVT detractors, they are here to stay.

In the end, to me there are just too many other superior vehicles in the class. But I only know that because I drive the other vehicles. If you hadn't driven the other vehicles, you'd be giddy because this new Corolla is much improved over the last one. the buff books have been a bit hard on this car, because it really is fairly innocent, and it has SOME character now. I wouldn't buy one, but I can't fault others that do. Toyota obviously knows what it is doing, they easily clerk several hundred thousand of these a year.

I can't recall what I gave the Sentra for a letter grade, but I would probably give this car the same and say it is just a bit more interesting than the Sentra. Innocent little commuter pods. B or B+. At least your airport rental won't be complete torture for the next few years.

Edited by regfootball

It will be very evident if you drive even a Cruze LT vs. this car that the Cruze is much more buttoned down. But Toyota (and Nissan) have realized that so many of the buyers (especially the repeat Japanese brand buyers) have no concern or much less any ability to judge how excellent any new car really is. For a repeat Toyota customer, this car is greatly improved and a huge upgrade. Really, the Sentra and Corolla are just satisfying the basics. And they will sell hundreds of thousands of them.

You hit the nail right on the head. Toyota has built up such a solid reputation with the Corolla that a lot of new car shoppers won't even be able to tell that the Chevy Cruze or Ford Fusion offer better driving dynamics as they're likely not enthusiasts and only looking for a reliable and comfortable commuter car.

It's still a great little car but in my opinion, Ford, Chevy, Dodge and Hyundai have all caught up now with their compact offerings and they're not as far apart in quality as they used to be.

• 2 weeks later...

A REAL FRIEND tells them to try something else. Toyota, Nissan and Honda have all fallen far behind in comparison to everyone else that finally stepped up their game and build superior same class auto options. I would insist that someone check out the other brands as Toyota is resting on their history of High Mileage reliable auto's and I challange them on that.

A REAL FRIEND tells them to try something else. Toyota, Nissan and Honda have all fallen far behind in comparison to everyone else that finally stepped up their game and build superior same class auto options. I would insist that someone check out the other brands as Toyota is resting on their history of High Mileage reliable auto's and I challange them on that.

I sent my buddy the link to the new Corollas dismal crash record and recommended he check out the Cruze and Focus. He used to drive American, his first new car was an '85 Buick LeSabre but then he traded that on a Corolla and never looked back...

a toyo diehard friend i have who currently drives an ancient solara is looking now to get something soon. She already said she is trying to pick 'between the corolla and the camry or maybe the Prius'.

Wow, lots of choice! BUT perfect example of how toyo lovers think. Won't even try anything else.

I suggested to look at the subarus if they want a toyota (for AWD) but also look at Verano, Fusion, Malibu, Cruze, Focus etc........