Ford EcoBoost Challenge ST Challenge

Attended the Ford sponsored EcoBoost Challenge today (merely a couple miles from home).

These canned track / test drive events are usually pretty cheesy, and this was no exception, ST cars not withstanding.

Since all you get either way in these cars is about a minute of time, there is not much to expound upon, but some things stick in your head.

Hybrid Challenge-

The trick was either take the Fusion Hybird or CMax hybrid and see what your best average mpg would be. Sort of a dumb concept, its a short loop course which you can't get up to speed to really put to use hypermile techniques. I ended up in a Fusion and I like the car. From what I could tell, it seemed smooth. I did not like the Ford person who was with in the car. Fusion is a very good car.

EcoBoost Challenge-

Camry v6 vs. Fusion 2.0t

no one wanted to drive the Camry, they practically had to beg people to drive it. camry feels like 2004 to me. Cheap, cobbled together interior, didn't feel too solid overall. steering didn't offer much. v6 is gutsy, but not as much pull as the Fusion.

Fusion feels substantial and overall way nicer. Interior a bit cheap still, and some turbo lag. I still think the Fusion is the car that hits the mark for most in the midsize class in America.

CRv vs. Escape 2.0t CRV didn't get much love either. To me, the CRv feels like a toy car. It still feels like a 1990's Honda. they haven't evolved the feel of their metal. Complete fail. Seriously. Escape is far nicer, even despite the cheap in some places interior (that is a knee knocker). Escape is tight for a crossover.

2014 Chevy Silverado vs. Ford Ecoboost v6 F150 This is a close call. For me, I may take the Ford. Silverado is cushy, no doubt about it, the Silverado is smooth and a refined piece. Super quiet and comfortable. Feels like it will rev forever. But, slow steering and soft in corners. Yes, it is a truck. EcoBoost v6 has nice nuts, feels faster off the line than the Chevy v8. F150 is louder inside and maybe a bit short on cush. But the F150 handling and ride is more for someone who is used to cars. If Ford can quiet and cush the interior.....Chevy has a large, dominant hood. Chevy's new interior design is an interesting theme, but overall like the Ford (and all trucks) the interior is cheap and tacky and slapped together. I so no reason to diss either truck. It is really the case of you are a Chevy fan or a Ford fan. If you want a puff cruiser, the Chevy is your truck. The Ram is a good truck too. There is a reason the US mfr's dominate trucks.

ST Challenge

timed laps in the Focus ST and Fiesta ST

The Fiesta ST is a spry guy and a boatload of fun. A quality ride all around. Feels quite a bit less size than the Focus. I don't care much for the new dash on the Fiesta, it's forced. The Focus felt more mature and I really liked the car. It's not often you get to drive cars with summer rubber and that can run a track. Both cars feel like peas in a pod, just that the Fiesta feels like 3/4-7/8 the size. The steering is really great and I liked the Recaros (on the Focus mostly).

Focus ST would be an awesome daily driver.

In the FWIW department, I feel the Malibu (especially the turbo) lays waste to the Camry as well. GM does not really have anything to go toe to toe with the ST Focus and Fiesta. A verano 3 door OPC would be balls up.

Edited by regfootball