Industry News: Aston Martin Still Committed To Bringing Back Lagonda

William Maley

Staff Writer - CheersandGears.com

October 16, 2013

Back at the 2009 Geneva Motor Show, Aston Martin rolled out a very polarizing crossover concept with a name that hadn't been since the late eighties; Lagonda.

Quick history lesson: Lagonda was brand that got its start back in 1906 building luxury vehicles. In 1947, Lagonda was paired up with Aston Martin and would continue building vehicles till the late fifties. Since that time, Aston Martin has used Lagonda as a model name for a certain number of vehicles, most notably the Aston Martin Lagonda sedan from the eighties.

Now the Lagonda concept shown at Geneva wasn't well received for its awkward styling, but Aston Martin sent it back to the drawing board and that was the last we heard about it and Lagonda. That is until this week when Aston Martin's chief executive Dr. Ulrich Bez told Australian Motoring site Drive.com.au that Lagonda is still being worked on.

“I am confident in the future we will see a Lagonda on the road. I cannot say [it will be] in three weeks or three years, but I am confident it will be there,” said Bez.

When asked about the crossover, Bez said this;

“With the Lagonda name we have the chance to use it for everything that goes beyond what is our base car line and preferably it will be something like an SUV. But it could be - if I look at the next five or 10 year period - then I could see a variety of possibilities. Everything is possible, but I cannot say it might be this or that… but everything beyond [our current range of] V8 Vantage, Rapide, Vanquish could be branded as Lagonda.”

Source: Drive.com.au

William Maley is a staff writer for Cheers & Gears. He can be reached at [email protected] or you can follow him on twitter at @realmudmonster.

View full article

• 6 months later...