1955 GMC 350 Flatbed

http://harrisburg.craigslist.org/cto/4100335374.html

00s0s_lVufTApspLN_600x450.jpg

00q0q_jM2vBJAeJdD_600x450.jpg

00U0U_8PmjQy49Wg_600x450.jpg

01010_637h4vjhyO6_600x450.jpg

1955 GMC 350 Series Truck , 16000 lbs GVW , VIN # 353 8P Y#### the first two numbers indicate 350 series (16000 lbs gvw) the next is the wheel base the 8 indicates V8 engine (287ci pontiac) the P is the assembly plant (Pontiac MI) then the Y which indicates it is 1955 2nd series. The title shows it as a 1956 (the year in which it was originally sold). Runs and Drives- Brakes don't work, original engine , transmission and Two speed rear end, no interior but original seat frame included, Asking $1800 obo Call Jim @ 7one7-7nine0-0two70

I SO WANT THIS THING!! Seriously. It's located in Mechanicsburg, PA, outside of Carlisle/Harrisburg. I wish I knew someone out this way to go check it out for me in person. I'd have to get real creative with finding a storage spot, but I've got two potential places in mind (if the people will be open minded).

My illusions of granduer have this in mind for this GMC (after a lot of time and money, of course!):

1955GMC350Stakebedtwo-tonedTealampWhite_

I agree, dfelt. Ultimately it will take money, time and help from people to get it into a show state. I don't want to waste any more time though. I've been wanting a GMC of this vintage 20+ years. There's always some excuse. I'm at the end of that rope!! I'm not getting any younger and fewer and fewer '55-'56 GMCs are out there where I can get to them. If this does happen, the plan would be to scrap the excess framing on the rear, restore the truck as best as I can (afford), and leave it as a chassis cab until I can put a nice, new flatbed on the rear.

That would make an awesome rollback.

Funny you should say that. I spoke to the owner/seller last night and he told me he obtained the GMC from it's 2nd owner who lost his storage place (10 years ago). He had all intentions of restoring it and making it into a rollback truck. His son is resto-modding a '55 GMC pickup and he thought, "How cool for a father-son related project" and making a rollback to haul his son's GMC. However, they've been concentrating on the son's '55 pickup and he has too many other projects. My luck the '55 GMC is for sale :AH-HA:

I'm planning to go see it in person on Sunday. Trying to bring someone more knowledgable than me alone to come check it out. It's very short notice for many people, I know.

Went to see it yesterday (Sunday). I really like it, but it is a basketcase that needs a lot of TLC. I haven't made a final decision yet, but if you want to see the 100+ photos I took, go here: http://s19.photobucket.com/user/GMguy74/slideshow/1955%20GMC%20350%20Flatbed%202WD%20DRW

Edited by GMTruckGuy74

Went to see it yesterday (Sunday). I really like it, but it is a basketcase that needs a lot of TLC.

Honestly, I don't see it as a basket case. Sure, its not an Arizona refuge, like you see on all the TV shows, but for this area, this is what a nearly 60 year old truck looks like in unrestored, ungaraged condition.

Most restos are a lot of work and take time. If you don't think you can do it, you need to save up for something less of a challenge. Personally, this truck looks like a disaster, but I think trucks are easier than cars due there being less body to work on and the tremendous amount of patches available.

This truck needs to be completely disassembled and either blasted or dipped. The doors look the worst, and replacements can be found. After being blasted or dipped, then you will likely find a few trouble spots... but you can likely MIG in a few small patches or get replacements from LMC Truck for bigger things.

Best thing is that since you would be doing the building, you can build it like you want... you could always find a standard chassis and bed and convert it to standard truck.

However, there are no cheap shortcuts... this truck will cost money and effort to bring together.

Get out the wirebrush and the PB Blaster.

• Agree 1

More elbow grease than money, IMO, if one is handy & adept at restoration. Far less 'hidden pockets' on a HD truck than -say- a Chevelle, for cancer to hide & fester.

Roger, I know you've been up my way (I'm right by Malouf); if you had replacement pieces and needed something welded in on say a fender or door, I could help there. Just finished welding new steel into both running boards on an Infiniti SUV for a client; structurally totally rotted away.

Balthy, have you ever tried that technique for using molasses to strip rust? Some Aussie on Youtube is using a kiddie pool and months-old watered down molasses to clean up car bodies. Probably a cheap way to clean the rust up on a truck cab (turn it four times) if it works... but I'm still a little skeptical. However, he's not the only source that I've heard this technique from before...

I've read a few accounts of it, but never tried it myself. I am more intrigued by reverse electrolysis.

http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=154196

http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=202906&highlight=electrolysis

Here's some feedback on molasses- seems to be evidence/experience against it:
http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=682253

Edited by balthazar

Basketcase is just my way of saying it needs a lot of work in many areas. I've seen real basketcases in my lifetime than this truck. The more and more I think about this truck, the more I want it. I've got a few people that can't understand why I like an old farm truck/flat bed. I find it unique in a world full of half-ton pickups. Everyone restores those, not many people put money into the heavy duty trucks. Since this would be a show vehicle, not a daily, I'm kind of wanting to give the ol' guy a new life. What doesn't help my case is money; otherwise, I have found a place to store it nearby where I live if I decide to make the purchase, and possibily a way to get it there too. Maybe I'll decide over the weekend (truck is still listed for sale as of today). Money may end up being the deciding factor, as I can't give him the amount he said he wants, but he said make him an offer.

Edited by GMTruckGuy74

Kinda cool that the windshield is busted, in that you have a good excuse to pull it and check the glass channel there. ;)

I now know what the 2 scalloped panels I have that were supposedly from a '58 GMC- the inside, lower front corners of the doors. Must be hinge access cover plates. I'll donate them if you get this. :)

and where are you going to put it? You didn't have room for a FWB?

Well, I didn't have room for the FWB inside of my garage, but it fit in the driveway just perfectly :smilewide: After a restoration job, the GMC would also be parked in the driveway. If, and that's a big IF, I buy the '55 GMC my neighbor inherited his grandfather's blueberry farm over in Pemberton, NJ (about 10-12 miles from my house). He gave me permission to park the truck on the farm while I'm restoring it.

Kinda cool that the windshield is busted, in that you have a good excuse to pull it and check the glass channel there. ;)

I now know what the 2 scalloped panels I have that were supposedly from a '58 GMC- the inside, lower front corners of the doors. Must be hinge access cover plates. I'll donate them if you get this. :)

Yeah, all the glass is going to have to be removed and replaced. I don't know if glass can be restored or not, in this case the rear window looks to be the only intact piece. But it is very old looking.

Thanks for the donation! If I buy it, I'll be happy to accept any other parts people want to donate ;)

Glass can be 'restored' if there's a chip- you've seen the commercials. Cracked; no. Otherwise, clean the crap out of it & get new gaskets.
I saw a period WS for late '50s GM trucks on ebay for $169.

These guys are in north Jersey, they had VistaVision WSs for my B-59, said it was no prob to come up & inspect & buy direct if I wanted:
http://www.ebay.com/usr/bkclassicautoglass

To the best of my knowledge, most glass is still available... and flat glass can be cut to the application. If you want properly dated glass, well, that might be a bit harder.

Even my '60s Chevy Stepvan has glass available for it.

Thing is, that a lot of old laminated glass goes bad anyway.

It's going to take a good while to take everything apart and come up with a plan, a "grocery list", if you will, of things it'll need, and then, the dollar signs grow. I can totally understand the love of a vehicle, but...

You're going to need that farm storage for a couple of years, realistically. You're going to need inside, climate controlled, well-lit storage so you can work on it at any time. You're going to need tools there. You're going to need a helper for some things, hands-on.

My Corvair came to me in running condition, I drove it home with 97k original miles and a glovebox full of receipts over the life of the car. The old lacquer was faded and cracked, but the interior was perfect. The flat six needed all-new gaskets to keep it from turning into Exxon Valdez, and it needed the carbs rebuilt. It needed exhaust work. I rebuilt the carbs with a kit myself, and I replaced the exhaust. The trunk floor was gone. I had to buy a donor car with a good trunk floor. I couldn't do the bodywork and paint myself. I bought bumpers, and trim pieces, then I sent it to a little bodyshop to have the body and paintwork done. It took longer than promised because he had other projects, which I cannot blame him for. My little car was a toy, not a daily driver that had to be on the road ASAP. I did miss the national meet that I planned on attending with my finished car. Living on the farm, I had limited means of storing the car over the winter to protect my investment. It was in the way in our Quonset Hut shop with concrete floor, so I had to cover it and back it into a lean-to that had a concrete floor, but left the front third of the car unprotected, except for the fabric cover. That was inadequate, so with heavy heart, I made the decision to sell it before it deteriorated to any degree. That taught me a lesson. I was shortsighted, I had no real long term plan, and that is what I regret. I'd love to still own that car.

Edited by ocnblu

^ Good points, tho I would disagree on 'climate controlled'- my shop isn't heated or insulated, tho I have run a small propane heater on occasion. If it's really down in temps, just hold off. I worked in my shop countless times for a few hrs per, when the temp was 40 outside.

What you will absolutely need is ROOM to work on it. That, and an excellent degree of organization WRT disassembly/reassembly. The fasteners WILL pile up. Take lots of pics during.

Until you start refinishing pieces, it doesn't HAVE to be inside; obviously it hasn't been inside.... maybe ever. These brutes don't decay in a year or two; it's already handled 58 years outside as it is. Obviously, once you start to develop finished pieces, you'd want those under a roof.

ocnblu makes some good points. While I have a place to store it, it would not be indoors. That includes when I go to restore it. I can't store the entire frame in my townhome's garage (too long), so to invest time and money into restoring the mechanicals only to have to leave it outdoors (even covered). Ultimately tonight, I have decided against pursuing this '55 GMC. It pains me because I can see the potential in this truck, 1955 is my ideal year for a classic GMC truck, and the truck still moves under it's own power so that's a bonus. A half-ton pickup (or even a panel/Suburban) will be the focus of my search from here on out.

• Agree 1