Dodge News: Rumorpile: Dodge Dart Coming With A V6

William Maley

William Maley

Staff Writer - CheersandGears.com

November 18, 2013

Chrysler could be going down a different road with their compact car according to a new report from Allpar. The site has learned from sources that a small group of engineers tackling whether or not it would be possible to shoehorn a V6 engine into the Dodge Dart.

Why is this being tackled? Allpar figures that Dart's current engine lineup; the 1.4T MultiAir and 2.4L Tigershark four-cylinder are meeting customer's expectations or are a bit sluggish.

So what V6 engines are being considered? The most likely candidate is the 3.2L Pentastar V6 found in the Jeep Cherokee. Both the Cherokee and Dart share hardware and packaging. Also in contention is a 3.0L Pentastar V6 that was built with Europe and China in mind as a effort to avoid taxes on engines above three liters. The 3.0L produces 230 horsepower and 210 pound-feet.

We're not quite sure why Chrysler thinks a V6 in the Dart is a good idea, but we'll be keeping a close eye to see if anything pans out.

Source: Allpar

View full article

Why not just Twin Turbo the 4 bangers? This would probably beat the V6 for HP and Torque and over all performance. The V6 numbers are pathetic compared to other companies that are hitting 300HP and 300+ Torque on a TT setup.

I feeling something may have been lost in translation..... I can't see them putting a V6 in the Dart.... a Dart platform Avenger maybe... but not the Dart itself.

Which would make sense..I've read the Avenger/200 replacement would probably be on a stretched Dart platform...

If they did this it would be the first non premium compact sedan to offer a V6 sense the Chevy Cavalier Z24! This could be the makings for an interesting 3.2L 270HP AWD Dart RT!!

I would think they could do an AWD Dart with a Twin Turbo 4 banger.

I feeling something may have been lost in translation..... I can't see them putting a V6 in the Dart.... a Dart platform Avenger maybe... but not the Dart itself.

I'd agree. The 2.4 liter in the Dart is already bigger than most compacts. 1.8-2.0 liter is common in this segment. Even the majority of the midsize segment is 4 cylinder, with CAFE toughing and Chrysler being weak there already a V6 Dart doesn't make sense. Imagine the torque steer on a 270 hp Dart also, unless it was AWD, in which case the gas mileage will suck.

Imagine the torque steer on a 270 hp Dart also, unless it was AWD, in which case the gas mileage will suck.

... it would be the same as any other 270 hp front driver.... not sure what the fact that it is a Dart has anything to do with it.

Imagine the torque steer on a 270 hp Dart also, unless it was AWD, in which case the gas mileage will suck.

... it would be the same as any other 270 hp front driver.... not sure what the fact that it is a Dart has anything to do with it.

Well most 270 hp front drivers are bigger cars that weigh about 3700 lbs, so the acceleration isn't as quick as it would be with 270 hp in a 3100 lb compact car. I'd imagine a 300 hp Cruze would have more torque steer feel than a 300 hp Impala. Baring massive changes to the steering and suspension from the standard Cruze.

I have to say with techonology, I have not found cars with big HP to have Torque Steer any more.

Drew or Mud, you both have been driving more FWD this year than most of us, do you notice Torque Steer in your FWD Auto's?

GM has pretty much clipped off torque steer completely with Hy-per strut.... but that doesn't tell us what a high powered Chrysler FWD car would do.

I actively avoid the Chrysler 200/Dodge Avenger, and that, in V6 form, would be the most powerful FWD car they offer

Alfa 159 was about the same size and weight as Dart and was offered with a 3.2 V6...

If they did this it would be the first non premium compact sedan to offer a V6 sense the Chevy Cavalier Z24! This could be the makings for an interesting 3.2L 270HP AWD Dart RT!!

There was Jetta VR6 too.

I have to say with technology, I have not found cars with big HP to have Torque Steer any more.

Drew or Mud, you both have been driving more FWD this year than most of us, do you notice Torque Steer in your FWD Auto's?

Not really, automakers have been doing a pretty good job of minimizing torque steer.

Yes, but we're in a time now where Turbo 4-Cylinders can put out 270hp without breaking a sweat and still get over 30mpg.

Right, and a V6 at best is going to get 30 mpg, a lot of turbo 4's can get closer to 35, and probably with a flatter torque curve. And who wants to a 270 hp Dodge Dart anyway, lol.

Yes, but we're in a time now where Turbo 4-Cylinders can put out 270hp without breaking a sweat and still get over 30mpg.

Right, and a V6 at best is going to get 30 mpg, a lot of turbo 4's can get closer to 35, and probably with a flatter torque curve. And who wants to a 270 hp Dodge Dart anyway, lol.

If done right, the same people who want a WRX, or Evo, or Focus ST, or can't afford an ILX Turbo

or i mixed it up. the 1.4 turbo with its lag is getting a rep, and if it's like the one i drove on the 500L Fiat, the lag was reprehensible on the stick version, the automatic covered it up a bit more. It just seems bizarre to consider this for the dart. What's more likely is that the Avenger successor may be based or stretched off the Dart and have a similar platform and that it would get the v6.

From what I can tell, the 2.4 is from an engine family that predates the Fiat acquisition..

MultiAir is sort of Fiat's VTEC ...variable valve timing and variable lift technology..http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MultiAir

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

Alfa 159 was about the same size and weight as Dart and was offered with a 3.2 V6...

There was Jetta VR6 too.

Yep! I forgot about that VW narrow V6!

From what I can tell, the 2.4 is from an engine family that predates the Fiat acquisition..

MultiAir is sort of Fiat's VTEC ...variable valve timing and variable lift technology..http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MultiAir

It's a lot more than VTec. It apparently allows for Chrysler/Fiat to dispense with the throttle body which is a significant boost to engine efficiency. It is more like BMW's Valvetronic.

Vtec is relatively low tech these days.

Amazing, Car Pros is advertising Dodge Darts with 2000 factory cash and 2002 dealer cash, $12,988 + tax and license for a new Dart with 6sp manual.

http://www.carproschryslerjeepdodgeram.com/new-inventory/index.htm?SByear=clear&SBmake=Dodge&SBmodel=Dart&SBbodystyle=clear&SBprice=clear

They also started advertising Elantra's new 2013 blow out for $10,988.

Crazy the blow out prices this year I am seeing on new auto's. Not good for residuals.

Amazing, Car Pros is advertising Dodge Darts with 2000 factory cash and 2002 dealer cash, $12,988 + tax and license for a new Dart with 6sp manual.

http://www.carproschryslerjeepdodgeram.com/new-inventory/index.htm?SByear=clear&SBmake=Dodge&SBmodel=Dart&SBbodystyle=clear&SBprice=clear

They also started advertising Elantra's new 2013 blow out for $10,988.

Crazy the blow out prices this year I am seeing on new auto's. Not good for residuals.

Doesn't surprise me there is money on the hood. The Dart has not gotten rave reviews since it hit the streets. The V6 shoehorn is supposed to provide something for those unimpressed with the 4 cylinder offerings.

I think its bizarre that the Dart might get a V6 while the Malibu is now 4 cylinder only (well, unless you are in the Middle East).

I wouldn't look for it to show up anytime soon.

The Dart's biggest problem? This thing.

lead-2011-dodge-avenger.jpg

You can nab a new Avenger with the 3.6L Pentastar for mid-level Dart money. If you can do without a nice infotainment system, good handling, and actual styling, you end up with a slightly larger, more powerful car. The Avenger isn't a great car, and as I just pointed out, the Dart certainly hands it its ass in terms of driveability and technology, but the Avenger is still a really good value for money. That's why it's canibalizing Dart sales. The JS cars will be a thorn in ChryCo's side until they're put out to pasture (which that should be pretty soon).

Edited by black-knight

What's more likely is that the Avenger successor may be based or stretched off the Dart and have a similar platform and that it would get the v6.

Actually, no. The next-generation Avenger will be rear-drive and share a platform with the Alfa Romeo Guilia (the next-gen Avenger program is what spawned all of those Barracuda rumors from way back whenever). The next-gen 200 is based around a widened CUSW (read: Dart) platform, using the 3.2L V6 and nine-speed automatic from the KL Cherokee.

Yeah... Dodge will offer this great RWD lineup... then cut the music! Dodge is history... just because Fiat hates us almost as much as GM! ;-)

Executing sarcasm_detection.exe.

Loading ...

Loading ...

Loading ...

Loading ...

Loading ...

Loading ...

Loading ...

Loading ...

Loading ...

Loading ...

Loading ...

Loading ...

A fatal error has occured.

This program will now shut down.

Would you like to send a report?

to me a 200 sized vehicle is a successor to the avenger in spirit.

Sending report.