Buick News: More GS Models For Buick Could Happen

William Maley

William Maley

Staff Writer - CheersandGears.com

November 29, 2013

One of the big things that we have been wondering since the introduction of the Buick Regal GS is if the Regal would be the only model in Buick's lineup to have a GS model or could there be more. According to Car and Driver, there might be more GS models.

Ed Welburn, General Motors’ vice president of global design tells Car and Driver that more GS models could be on the way to help bolster Buick's performance cred.

The most likely candidates for this would be the Verano and LaCrosse.

Source: Car and Driver

William Maley is a staff writer for Cheers & Gears. He can be reached at [email protected] or you can follow him on twitter at @realmudmonster.

View full article

Is there really any point to a Verano or LaCrosse GS? That is like a Lexus ES350 sport model, it just isn't a sporty car. The Regal is the sporty Buick and is the worst seller, so sport Buicks aren't what are winning, it is comfort and quiet that people buy.

Plus what can you do with front wheel drive? The LaCrosse already has 300 hp, you can't really go more than that, unless you do an AWD turbo V6 like the XTS and Taurus SHO, but the Taurus SHO isn't really lighting up the sales charts either.

A distinct lack of coupes makes this somewhat hard to swallow. We know people are looking for something sporty and more upscale than a Chevy... since Pontiac was killed by Obama, Buick is all that's left. So if GM wants to keep those customers in the fold, they need SOMETHING.

A Verano GS sounds fine to me, as does a LaCrosse GS... but without the romantic aspect of a coupe bodystyle, I do not feel it as deeply as I should.

EDIT: crazy thought... Encore GS with lowered AWD chassis and a 2.0T!

Edited by ocnblu

Verano Turbo is already 250 hp, that is a lot for a smallish front driver.

They don't need GS models, although they would probably just be sport styling packages that they charge more money for. They could use a coupe and convertible though. GM is really short on convertibles, Camaro and Corvette are all they have.

I have always held the believe that Buick should be the "Comfort Luxury" brand of GM. Leave the "Sport Luxury" stuff to Caddy which is doing a great job in that direction.

Instead of trying to make kamikaze turbo AWD Buicks, make one with a $3000 "luxury" package that has double glazed acoustic glass all around, additional acoustic baffles around the engine, active noise cancellation, electrochromic dimming glass, 99.9 UVA/UVB blocking glass, active radar ground sensor ahead of the front wheels which detects upcoming bumps and automatically softens magnetorologic shocks momentarily, etc.

The UV block greenhouse will be a big seller in China where they already sell a lot of Buicks. Chinese ladies carry umbrellas and wear long sleeves on sunny days to avoid a tan. 90% of the cosmetics are about skin whitening. If they can spend $700 a jar on La Prairie skin caviar for milky pale skin, trust me, if you can advertise -- "Drive Buick, stay vampire pale" you'll sell lots of cars.

I would agree with both Dwight on a next level luxury package but also with Ocnblu on on a GS package for the Encore.

Luxury package for both markets would make sense as Dwight states, but for the US, you could also have an Encore AWD GS package. I know many ladies that would eat this up in a CUV package.

As SMK mentioned, I don't think GS mixes at all with the current feel of driving a Verano or LaCrosse. Are they really going to work on re-tuning the suspension and weight reduction to make them handle like sportier FWD sedans, say an Audi S3, Mercedes CLA 45 or Acura TL SHAWD this late into their current model runs? Maybe next refresh.

I agree with Dwight on luxury packages. The other path to go is hybrid or diesel options. Look at the success Toyota has had with Prius and the Lexus hybrids do okay, the older demographic and female buyers that buy Buicks, Toyotas, Lexus, etc, are more likely to buy soft suspensions and gas mileage over GS performance. People that want performance are going to buy a Mustang/Camaro at the cheap end, or an Infiniti/3-series type of car if they spend a bit more.

I think the number of people that would buy a 290 hp Buick Verano is the same number that would buy a 290 hp V6 Dodge Dart.

One thing GM can consider is a 2.0L 60 deg V6 with reverse flow heads and a sequential twin-turbo setup. Reverse flow is key to getting all the exhaust together for sequential bi-turbo design. Use the smallest turbo you can get like the Honeywell-Garrett GT1544 to get you to 17.6 psi @ 1000 rpm. Such a turbo runs out of breathe at about 3200 rpm at those boost levels and boost rate and will normally be unusable. But with a wastegate dumping exhaust into second very big turbo like the GTX2867 which spools well near 3000 rpm, direct injection and 10.3:1 compression you can get a super plateau torque curve with about 270 lb-ft @ 1000~7000 rpm with 360 hp @ 7000 rpm.

Such an engine won't be cheap. Being a V6 and with all the turbo accessories and air-to-water aftercooling it won't be all that compact or light. It may not even be very fuel efficient. But it'll be an extremely refined powerplant with six cylinder power pulses and better specific output than the CLA45 AMG without any of the vices of a high boost, big turbo setup. Perfect for refined luxury in markets where there's a displacement tax to skirt.

If you turn Buick overtly into a cush ride division again, the old rep of floating couches and old persons cars will come back around. You gotta portray some youth and sportiness at least to get good press. Part of that is having a few models geared towards sport. May not have to be a GS. But seriously, how could this not be attractive here?

Opel-Astra-OPC-1.jpg

If you turn Buick overtly into a cush ride division again, the old rep of floating couches and old persons cars will come back around. You gotta portray some youth and sportiness at least to get good press. Part of that is having a few models geared towards sport. May not have to be a GS. But seriously, how could this not be attractive here?

Opel-Astra-OPC-1.jpg

Lovely Car! :wub: That would be killer as a Buick GS Coupe! :metal:

Nothing wrong with cushy isolated luxury. There are buyers of that as much, if not more so than, buyers of taunt sport luxury sedans. Just look at Lexus.

GM already has Cadillac for the sporty side of the luxury market. Let Buick serve those who doesn't want to feel anything, hear anything or go around a corner in a powerslide.

While I agree a Verano GS would not be a big seller, it would be sweet! Even 270 - 280 hp would be fine along with suspension and brake upgrades. Honestly, I'd take that over a Regal GS. I've always loved the sleepers and that would definitely be a sleeper. Take it with a grain of salt though as I also almost bought a Buick LaCrosse Super back when they came out in 2008 (and I was only in my 30's then).

Opel-Astra-OPC-1.jpg

Now this would be a good vehicle to sell in the States for sure!!