November 2013: Volkswagen of America

VOLKSWAGEN OF AMERICA REPORTS NOVEMBER 2013 SALES

• November sales total 30,727 units, second best November since 1973
  • Chattanooga-built Passat delivered 8,876 units for the month
  • Jetta Sedan delivered 10,828 units for the month
  • Tiguan delivered 2,235 units for the month
  • High-mileage, TDI® Clean Diesel models accounted for 21 percent of sales in November and 24 percent of sales year-to-date, the best year-to-date results on record
  • Passat TDI sales reach 32,754 year-to-date, the best year-to-date TDI results on record

Herndon, VA - Volkswagen of America, Inc. (VWoA) today reported 30,727 units delivered in November and 373,689 units year-to-date. November sales achieved the second highest level since 1973. Adjusted for models in run-out, Volkswagen’s year-to-date pace is on par with the prior year-to-date pace.

“Volkswagen is now operating at a new level not seen in 40 years, and with the strength of our line-up, we are confident we will close out a second consecutive year with over 400,000 vehicles,” said Jonathan Browning, president and CEO, Volkswagen Group of America. “Having doubled sales from 2009 and with the strong investments in North American investment plans, we are confident that we have a strong base for future growth.”

Volkswagen also took another step forward last month with the release of the J.D. Power 2013 Sales Satisfaction (SSI) results. The brand is now amongst the Top 5 volume players and ahead of key Asian competitors.

post-10485-0-70482200-1386096284_thumb.j

I am glad to see that, too. But Volkswagen has a daunting task ahead of them if they want to set their US sales on fire. It just ain't happenin'. Not sure what the problem is. I am about to turn over 13k miles of trouble-free driving so far. I know that's still a drop in the bucket. But all of my previous 4 Volkswagens had at least one visit to the dealer for ridiculous warranty work well before this mileage. My second new '98 Beetle didn't even make it through the first weekend of ownership... it overheated due to an assembly problem that wasn't caught at pre-delivery inspection, and it all went downhill from there.

Based on my previous experience with these cars, I've always loved the special driving characteristics, and the tank-like "thunk" of the doors, hood and trunk in operation. This is my first diesel VW, and I am more than pleased with the 2.0L TDI.

I feel that I went out on a limb with this car, knowing that my previous VWs have all had something go wrong. So far, I've been rewarded for doing so. We'll see what the future brings.

my take is they really went plain on the passat and jetta and its coming back to bite em. that, and the 2.5 boat anchor was in the hopper too long.

the 1.8t should revive some interest. No they need some mid cycle styling refreshes on the Jetta and Passat, and redesign the interiors a bit. build love for the new golf and sell the $h! out of the diesels.

stiff competition is a bit at fault too.

Jetta's focus has been watered down a bit. It's now a hybrid and a diesel, it needs more ads just as a basic good value car in its class. With style.

I still think the transformation of the Beetle into something that has some macho to it is fabulous. Its a cool coupe now, not a big rolling bubble.

Edited by regfootball

Glutton for punishment? Three bad VW's and still went for the fourth? :)

It is pretty amazing that their sales are down with the market doing so well.

ha, notice I said "previous 4"... this is my 5th!

and reg gets a major award for most stealthy, effective use of the word "fabulous" in a sentence.

Glutton for punishment? Three bad VW's and still went for the fourth? :)

It is pretty amazing that their sales are down with the market doing so well.

ha, notice I said "previous 4"... this is my 5th!

and reg gets a major award for most stealthy, effective use of the word "fabulous" in a sentence.

That's even worse! lol I guess it just proves that even when dealing with VW, if you buy enough of them you will eventually get a good quality one. ;)