Rumorpile: Next Commodore To Become Front-Wheel Drive

William Maley

Staff Writer - CheersandGears.com

December 16, 2013

We've been hearing a number of rumors concerning of the next the Commodore, most pertaining that it would switch from rear-wheel to front-wheel drive. It seems with Holden shutting down production in 2017, that rumor could become reality.

News.com.au has learned from sources and documents that next Commodore will become a large front-wheel drive sedan that will be sold in Australia as a Holden and China as a Buick.

The report says Holden won the contact to design the new model. From there, it would be built in Australia and China. But with the announcement of Holden closing up production in 2017, China will become the sole builder of the new model.

Sources say the new model will be about 16.5 feet long, as wide as the current model, and take some styling cues from the Europeans such a lower roofline.

"It's about making sedans look cool again. Audi's done it, Mercedes has done, now we're going to do it. It's the only way to bring customers back to sedans," said an insider.

Don't expect a new ute or wagon to appear alongside.

As for power, the new model will utilize a four-cylinder engine. Holden is currently trying to fight for a V6 as an option.

The new model will retain the Commodore nameplate. An insider explained the reasoning for this.

"It's easier to explain to buyers that something has changed about a car they know, than to say 'Here's the new Holden XYZ'."

Source: News.com.au

William Maley is a staff writer for Cheers & Gears. He can be reached at [email protected] or you can follow him on twitter at @realmudmonster.

View full article

If you think about it, the oldest Epsilon II car out there is now the XTS.

Hmmm...isn't the LaCrosse the oldest LWB Epsilon II..and the Insignia/Regal is the oldest SWB Epsilon II. (not considering recent trivial MCEs, the current generation of LaCrosse dates to '10 and the Insignia/Regal '08 IIRC).

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

I was considering the recent MCEs... they really aren't trivial. The interiors are pretty much all new, the exteriors are all new, Regal gained AWD, dropped the base 2.4 and gained the 2.0T as the standard engine.

Really? I wouldn't consider the recent exterior changes to the Regal, LaCrosse and Malibu to be 'all new'...just minor changes to the fascias, grilles, light clusters.

This is terrible news. Really... a FWD Commodore? Baffling.

Australians have given up...the Commodore is only 4th in sales last year, they mostly buy FWD appliances like Americans do, and some Japanese trucks.

1. Mazda3 - 44,128

2. Toyota HiLux - 40,646

3. Toyota Corolla - 38,799

4. Holden Commodore - 30,532

5. Holden Cruze - 29,161

6. Hyundai i30 - 28,348

7. Toyota Camry - 27,230

8. Nissan Navara - 26,045

9. Toyota Yaris - 18,808

10. Ford Focus - 18,586

The Falcon isn't even on the list. Blimey. :(

And that's the top ten vehicles, incl. trucks and CUVs/SUVs...in the cars only list, it's not there either..the Commodore is the only largish RWD model on the list--the rest are just FWD. One odd thing is I don't see any Honda or Nissan cars in the top 10.

1. Mazda3 - 44,128

2. Toyota Corolla - 38,799

3. Holden Commodore - 30,532

4. Holden Cruze - 29,161

5. Hyundai i30 - 28,348

6. Toyota Camry - 27,230

7. Toyota Yaris - 18,808

8. Ford Focus - 18,586

9. Mazda2 - 17,574

10. Volkswagen Golf - 17,289

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/business/the-economy/4wds-lead-car-sales-to-record-highs-20130104-2c850.html#ixzz2njhjnXn2

Australians have given up...the Commodore is only 4th in sales last year, they mostly buy FWD appliances like Americans do, and some Japanese trucks.

1. Mazda3 - 44,128

2. Toyota HiLux - 40,646

5. Holden Cruze - 29,161

6. Hyundai i30 - 28,348

7. Toyota Camry - 27,230

9. Toyota Yaris - 18,808

10. Ford Focus - 18,586

I have a friend who went to work for a tech company in Australia and just came home for the holidays. He says he pays double what we pay for gas and everything else is almost double if not triple. He was shocked to see some items like wine from there cheaper here than down under. The public is in a pull back to the cheapest and most fuel efficient auto's they can get. Only the true upper 1/3 of the population are buying performance Holdens that tend to guzzle gas.

From the sounds of things that Terry told me, it sounds like they are going through crazy prices and interest rates like we did in the 80's.

Sad, but a fact of life, their next so called full size sedan will probably be a re-badged Buick.

1. Mazda3 - 44,128

2. Toyota HiLux - 40,646

5. Holden Cruze - 29,161

6. Hyundai i30 - 28,348

7. Toyota Camry - 27,230

9. Toyota Yaris - 18,808

10. Ford Focus - 18,586

I have a friend who went to work for a tech company in Australia and just came home for the holidays. He says he pays double what we pay for gas and everything else is almost double if not triple. He was shocked to see some items like wine from there cheaper here than down under. The public is in a pull back to the cheapest and most fuel efficient auto's they can get. Only the true upper 1/3 of the population are buying performance Holdens that tend to guzzle gas.

From the sounds of things that Terry told me, it sounds like they are going through crazy prices and interest rates like we did in the 80's.

Sad, but a fact of life, their next so called full size sedan will probably be a re-badged Buick.

Opel

1. Mazda3 - 44,128

2. Toyota HiLux - 40,646

5. Holden Cruze - 29,161

6. Hyundai i30 - 28,348

7. Toyota Camry - 27,230

9. Toyota Yaris - 18,808

10. Ford Focus - 18,586

Opel

Buick, Opel..same difference..

1. Mazda3 - 44,128

2. Toyota HiLux - 40,646

5. Holden Cruze - 29,161

6. Hyundai i30 - 28,348

7. Toyota Camry - 27,230

9. Toyota Yaris - 18,808

10. Ford Focus - 18,586

Opel

Buick, Opel..same difference..

No, not really. The small Buicks are Opel based, the large Buicks are Buicks. There is still the mid-sized crossover coming, most likely on an updated Theta platform and then there is the possibility of an Alpha coupe.

The way I see Holden strategy is that it will be a combination of EPIII and some Alpha car.

Let us be honest with only 50,000 odd units per annum, no platform will be sustainable at the current Commodore/Ute price, unless it is Chevroletdes Benz S-Class and charging every dime for an option. Also, it doesn't make sense to have a full operational plant at that volume. GM needed volume through utilizing that platform in US, but it bombed terribly and possibly GM never wanted to give it a full shot.

Business stand point, GM is right to get rid of manufacturing facility. It is the Aussie RWD gurus who created the excellent Zeta that need to be retained through a satellite design studio at any cost.

I'm driving a 2014 Regal this week... and while the "all-new" or "mostly-new" definitions may be debated, Buick really has upped their game with this car... even over the last one.

It's a shame that no one will buy it though.

really want to hear your impressions on the 14 Regal. I always wanted a Regal, now with all the upgrades and the available AWD, it's damn hard to choose between the Regal and ATS if I had dough and was buying today!

Stop it stop it now.

Let the rest of the facts get in the way before anyone gets their panties in a bunch.

There is a lot to come yet they have not spoke of yet. Still watch for a Alpha sedan from here and possibly a Monaro based Camaro make a trip south from Michigan.

The SS is not dead and will be replaced in 2016 as a 2017 hmmm just when the Zeta sedan dies, coincident?

Watch NASCAR as Chevy will prepare a new racer for approval there and we will see our first clues there.

You guys are going to be happy when all is announce for Chevy and Buick. Well most of you will be happy some just will never be satisfied here. LOL!