Bring on the interesting colors, GM! - Dragon Green Sonic

ocnblu

I like that color...there was a green metallic about 10 years ago that I saw once on an Avalanche that I really liked, never seen it again.

It may be this color--Medium Sage Metallic...the 5th gen Camaro would look great in this green, IMO..

60138248.jpg

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar
  • Agree 1

Avalanche looks fantastic in that color. I like unique colors on cars....after almost buying a focus ST, I am eyeing the Fiesta ST. Love it in the Ken Block Snot Green....

• Agree 1

I'm pretty sure that was a 2002 only color on the avalanche.

It's funny, I remember where I was when I saw it..was in winter in Colorado at sunrise in a restaurant parking lot, the morning sun was on it and the color was incredible.

• Agree 1

I prefer pale yellows, if any. "Lemonade" on the Chevy Spark isn't bad, but GM's pale yellow of the 1960's is my favorite. I am sure it had different names depending on which division.

I really like that '60s pale yellow used on C2 Corvettes...looks good on big cars of the era like Buicks also, IMO...

1966-corvette-roadster01.jpg

18652166-770-0@2X.jpg

A bunch of really nice greens in the last 10-15 years, after being just about non-existant for a long while before that. Seems they don't stick around long, unfortunately. Green is a vastly under-utilized hue. However; yellow, you can have. Strongly dislike almost all yellows.

...and yet sixties Pontiacs looked fantastic in yellow....

A bunch of really nice greens in the last 10-15 years, after being just about non-existant for a long while before that. Seems they don't stick around long, unfortunately. Green is a vastly under-utilized hue. However; yellow, you can have. Strongly dislike almost all yellows.

...and yet sixties Pontiacs looked fantastic in yellow....

Yes..

Yes.

95020688_1269438910311.jpg

7P266347-2sm.jpg

The mid-60s Pontiac yellow seen above was Mayfair Maize - you can google just "mayfair maize" and see dozens of pics. I never cared for it, just seems washed out & bland to me. Also doesn't match the aggressive nature Pontiacs usually had then, IMO.

The way GM ran in the heyday was the Divisions had their own names for the same colors. Check this chart to see an example. The except was Cadillac, which had it's own color palette.

I believe there was a general color pool decided upon, and each Division took their choice. Most colors overlapped, but some were quite limited, in only 1 or 2 Divisions. Sunfire Red was only found on '64 Pontiacs & Buicks. Nice color, kinda an iridescent red :

64_00154_1.jpg

Edited by balthazar

This thread has become a fantastic reminder that color can forever hold a potential customer's attention. I hope Chevy's newfound consideration for this fact, as seen in their two smallest cars, filters upward and outward throughout GM. Who wouldn't love to have the ability to customize their new Cadillac with color?

MOAR PHOTOS, PLEASE!

• Agree 1

I like em both...the sonic would look good in "Rubber Ducky Yellow"

This thread has become a fantastic reminder that color can forever hold a potential customer's attention. I hope Chevy's newfound consideration for this fact, as seen in their two smallest cars, filters upward and outward throughout GM. Who wouldn't love to have the ability to customize their new Cadillac with color?

MOAR PHOTOS, PLEASE!

an excellent idea!

I like that middle Bonneville!

all three of them are hot!

It would be cool if there was a site (besides Google Image search) where you could pick a year, make, model, bodystyle and color and have a picture come up. Would be a lot of work, though.

Back when GM had 31 different colors available on a given model, it would be nice to see how each looked dressed in such a color.

• Agree 2

This site is pretty close; it's how I've been posting this info:
http://paintref.com/paintref/index.shtml

Once you get to the individual listing, such as :

http://paintref.com/cgi-bin/colorcodedisplay.cgi?ditzler=50573&rows=50&syear=1960&smanuf=GM&smodel=Cadillac&sname=Heather

there are links to the left 'G'oogle, 'B'ing, 'Y'ahoo, which usually take you to search-engine returned hits for the color name, but I have seen a handful of clicks return nothing that looks like the color. Sometimes there's a red 'X' right on the little color block which shows a car with that shade, too.

But what's cool is you click on -say- the Ditzler number, and you can see when/where that color formulation was used elsewhere. In later years (starting in the '60s I believe), there's a specific GM color code link, too.

Check it Bill; 161 pages of green hues :

http://paintref.com/cgi-bin/colorcodedisplay.cgi?gncl=Green

:D

Edited by balthazar
  • Agree 1

Noted 2 new vehicles today, a Challenger R/T that was wearing a dark grey/green shade, and a Taurus that had a very dark green, slmost black color (but where the sun hit it, it definitely was a dark green)... but I don't see either color on the OEM's websites... must be hues not from 2014 & no longer offered. The Challenger's was especially nice. Anyone seen these?

^

Interesting..haven't seen either of those models in a dark green...would like to see more dark greens available. Googling turned up a 'Green With Envy' color in 2011 for the Challenger, but it's not very dark..

http://www.cars.com/dodge/challenger/2011/colors

(Via Edmunds...) looks like the Challenger is 2013 Granite Crystal. Some googl shots it totally looks grey, but others it has a green sheen to it to my eye... but then again I've been told my green/grey/brown filter is off-kilter.

RE: the Taurus... I see nothing '14-10 that shows the color I saw today.

(Via Edmunds...) looks like the Challenger is 2013 Granite Crystal. Some googl shots it totally looks grey, but others it has a green sheen to it to my eye... but then again I've been told my green/grey/brown filter is off-kilter.

RE: the Taurus... I see nothing '14-10 that shows the color I saw today.

The reflection of grass and trees could be making it look greenish...I like that gray.

One recent Challenger color I like that I noticed the other day is a very dark purplish blue, kind of an indigo..

Nice..haven't seen one like that. Dark green was a color on the original SHO..Conan O' Brien has one.

I found this line in an Autoblog article from 2009..

One of the exclusive colors available will also be Atlantis Green, which Ford says was inspired by the Deep Emerald Green seen on many second-generation (1992-1995) SHO models.

1993_ford_taurus_sho_grand_rapids_mi_gra