Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Industry News: BYD Says They Will Launch In The U.S. By Late 2015

BYD, the Chinese automaker who is backed by Warren Buffett’s Berkshire Hathaway Inc., announced plans to launch in the U.S. by the end of 2015.

The automaker which had an aborted U.S. launch in 2010 and a restructure that lasted three years believes that they are more prepared now.

“Back then, we had passion, but we had no brand, no history, no capital and no competitive advantage. BYD has become more fashionable and we have improved our design and safety. We don’t want to compete on price anymore, but on quality and innovation,” said Stella LI, senior vice president of the BYD's U.S. operations to Bloomberg.

The plan BYD has in place is to launch up to four vehicles for the U.S. market. No indication of what those models will be though.

BYD isn't the only Chinese automaker planning an arrival into the U.S. Volvo's parent company, Geely plans to launch vehicles in the U.S. by 2016. Then there is truck and SUV manufacturer Great Wall Motors who planned to launch in the U.S. by 2015. Since then, the company has relaxed that timetable.

Source: Bloomberg

William Maley is a staff writer for Cheers & Gears. He can be reached at [email protected] or you can follow him on twitter at @realmudmonster.

View full article

I hate to say it, but the fact that that recognized their own weaknesses, went back, regrouped, and are planning to try again tells me they might have some smart management and could eventually become formidable competition far faster than Hyundai did.

• Agree 1

There are always buyers out there for whom Hyundai and Kia are too expensive, so there will be buyers for the cheapest new cars. I'm really surprised a Chinese company hasn't inked a deal to sell their cars through Wal-Mart, since WM is expert at peddling Chinese crap.

True, it will be interesting to see how the Chinese compete and who survives. I suspect we will see a rash of new car companies enter the US and then 5yrs from now only 1 or 2 will be left. It also makes me think of how we might see the future landscape of auto's and who will be gone in five years.

GM

Ford

Chrysler/Fiat

MB

BMW

VW & other owned brands

Land Rover

Jaguar

Volvo

Toyota

Honda

Nissan

Subaru

Hyundia

Kia

China Company #1

China Company #2

Dead or merged companies - non-independant

Mitsubishi

Mazda

a few years back, i read an article that had projected that by like 2020 or 2025 there would be like 10 major surviving automakers. And then right about then was when GM lost pontiac, saturn, saab, etc.

You're probably looking at GM, Ford, VW, Toyota, Nissan, BMW, Merc, Hyundai, Fiat

Not sure how the Chinese companies fit into that in other markets unless they are the low cost provider.

Conversely, I think it is interesting in markets outside the US where the BMW's of the world are viewed as lux products, how they are gradually introducing cheaper and cheaper products. They know they have to go downmarket and bread and butter some to remain one of the standers in the market globally.

You missed Tata... I expect as they finish digesting Jaguar/Land Rover (and that seems to be going rather well) they'll set their sites on a "regular" brand or 3. I could see them going after Isuzu for trucks and Mitsubishi for mainstream cars.... and then there are still the struggling French brands out there as well.

You missed Tata... I expect as they finish digesting Jaguar/Land Rover (and that seems to be going rather well) they'll set their sites on a "regular" brand or 3. I could see them going after Isuzu for trucks and Mitsubishi for mainstream cars.... and then there are still the struggling French brands out there as well.

And the few Russian brands, though they don't seem to be pursuing much outside of the CIS..