2015 GMC Canyon: What's The Difference? (PUTC article)

http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2014/01/2015-gmc-canyon-whats-the-difference.html

Mark Williams wrote a good article on the differences with the 2015 GMC Canyon and 2015 Chevrolet Colorado.

I've got to say while I was impressed with the Colorado when it was first shown last month in Los Angeles, I wasn't 'wowed' enough. I figured if the Canyon was a rebadge of the Colorado (a'la 2004), then my next vehicle decision (Sierra) was easily made. No such luck; I'll have some thinking and planning to do here ;)

I'm surprised at the amount of differentiation between the two, but it's a good thng. I saw the Colorado at the LA Auto Show, and I thought the front end in particular looked a little cheap. At least in pictures, the version of the Canyon shown looks upscale.

I'm disappointed in two options missing on the new 2015 GMC Canyon:

1. Side view mirrors with turn signal indicator - the Holden Colorado pickup and Colorado7 SUV look to share the sideview mirrors with the N/A Colorado and Canyon (I could be mistaken though). Yet, the Holden versions have side view mirrors with turn signal indicator lights built into them whereas the GMC and Chevy do not. I'd understand if it was a top-line-package only deal, but so far none of the SLT/LTZ models shown to the public have displayed this option. Everything, and I mean everything today on the market seems to have this option covered but GM's newest mid-size pickups do not (this is an option I want to have, so I'll understand if I'm in the minority here).
  2. Rear backup sensors - seeing as how the Sierra has available rear backup sensors on the SLE and front & rear sensors on the SLT, I figured at least the SLT version of the Canyon would have rear backup sensors. Not seeing them on the Colorado left me to believe the upmarket-based Canyon would receive these as another differentiator. I know nanny gadgets are not liked by many here, but I do like having the backup senors - they were on my '03 Buick Rendezvous and it was a great feature. Almost everything sold in the market has these available on the upper level trim packages today.

What do you see as missing from these new mid-sizers?

Edited by GMTruckGuy74

Missing? Well, so far, they're missing from the lots. And my garage.

I would like to see BFG All-Terrain T/A tires be optional on all 4X4 trims. They are a functional item, not just for looks. And a 6-speed manual transmission available in all trim levels and all engines, except maybe the GMC SLT. A tan cloth interior on the Chevy would be a nice addition.

I do like the deluxe trim package Chevy has available for the W/T, with aluminum wheels and body color trim parts.

AND A REGULAR CAB BODYSTYLE. With 6 and 7 foot bed lemfs.