GMC News: GMC Might Get Its Own Vehicle In The Future

GMC is working towards differentiating itself from Chevrolet with products. The new Canyon and full-size SUVs show this with different designs and more upscale interior appointments. But General Motors is considering giving GMC its own product.

GM global product chief Mark Reuss tells Automotive News that the company is working on a model that will be for GMC only. Reuss didn't give any details about the new model, but did cite the brand's potential to appeal to appeal to non-GM customers and the strong prices that GMC models carry.

So what could this new model be? A car? Most likely not. GM global design chief Ed Welburn says the GMC's design studio is "as busy as it's ever been," with a number of concepts being worked on. All of those happen to be trucks however.

Source: Automotive News (Subscription Required)

William Maley is a staff writer for Cheers & Gears. He can be reached at [email protected] or you can follow him on twitter at @realmudmonster.

View full article

Would be nice to see GMC finally get a unique model. No matter how they try to spin it all of their current and past models are warmed over at best, rebadged at worst, Chevrolets. Funny thing is GMC is trying to tout the Canyon as more different, and while it does go further than the last gen, its till shares the same interior, most body panels, and overall shape with the Colorado. The Terrain and Acadia go much further.

Devils advocate, is higher grade materials enough to differentiate the Chevy from the GMC? That has always been a question with me. In this case I think it is, but others here will clearly say no it is not enough.

As a GMC enthusiast, I hope this different model is worth it. If it was up to me, I would have given the Cadillac Escalade EXT to GMC instead (imagine the popularity of the Denali model). I could never figure out why the "truck" brand didn't get a version? I'm glad to see that General Motors is finally realizing that there is a need for a GMC-specific model not shared with Chevrolet. But I'm curious what it will be (and frankly, after waiting for the reveal of the Canyon, have little patience to wait for this news).

As a GMC enthusiast, I hope this different model is worth it. If it was up to me, I would have given the Cadillac Escalade EXT to GMC instead (imagine the popularity of the Denali model). I could never figure out why the "truck" brand didn't get a version? I'm glad to see that General Motors is finally realizing that there is a need for a GMC-specific model not shared with Chevrolet. But I'm curious what it will be (and frankly, after waiting for the reveal of the Canyon, have little patience to wait for this news).

This would be a great way to consolidate the Avalanche and Escalade EXT into a single model at GMC... then offer Denali versions for the Cadillac customers.