Correct front springs for a 1965 Impala SS Convertible 283

Quick summary: I need to factory (or equivalent) replacement springs for a 1965 Impala SS Convertible 283

Long detailed story: About 2 years ago I had ordered parts for my 65 Impala from some website (i think it was impalaparts.com but not 100% sure) and I had a local shop install these parts (shocks, springs, & almost a whole suspension kit). The work was done in Late November so I was getting ready to put it away for the winter. When the work was finished I noticed that the front was up pretty high and the shop explained to me that after putting some miles on them it will drop to a proper height. Myself not being mechanically sound, I believed it. Fast forward a year has passed and the front end is still up higher than it should. After some looking into I figured out that perhaps big block springs were shipped instead. I dragged my feet on this and obviously has gone way past to the point where I can contact the website where I got them from for an exchange so I'm eating up that expense and just want to get these corrected and maybe sell off the other springs.

To make sure I get the correct part this time, I've come here. I found some from some Google searches that I think may be the right size but just want to be sure.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003HPJ0L0/

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000CORVII/

http://www.amazon.com/Elgin-Industries-6192-Coil-Spring/dp/B004A1XAUM/

I realize Amazon may not be a place one would go for classic car parts however my money is tight now and I have a $100 gift card I can use (considering I'll need to pay around $200-300 for a shop to install them as well).

Again, I'm looking stock factory replacement or at least one that will give the same ride height.

Any other suggestions and advice is greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Springs will 'set' in a few hundred miles tops, but I don't believe this will ever drop a car from the initial height any more than -say- 3/8-inch. If the spring is properly indexed in it's pocket (where applicable), it's really not going to go anywhere (as in permanently compress).

This says big block front coils have a spring rate of 403.

Your first link is for the Moog 6304's. This says their spring rate is 337.

2nd link for the Moog 6192s has a spring rate of 300.

I suspect the 3rd link for the Elgin 6192s has the same spring rate of 300- cannot be a coincidence that the numbers are the same.

These sound more in line with small block rates- either would be fine. I can tell you '65 Pontiac full-size front coil rates are 275- so either the 300s or 337s should be right on the money.

The other issue tho is load height- and this is subjective. Factory correct coil load height tells you the height that spring is designed to carry it's load.

Factory-spec springs just look like the car has a mild lift kit in it to my eye. This probably comes from being around these cars after they were decades old and the spring load height had deteriorated (spring rate is permanent, but load height does decline over many years). They just look better down about 2 inches (the full-sizers) from 100% factory, IMO. You can cut the coils to achieve this if you already have them without affecting ride quality, tho there are aftermarket dropped springs readily available. Again- cutting a coil off won't change the spring rate.

This, IMO, is too tall :

1965_Chevrolet_Impala_300_hp_V8_big_Bloc

Edited by balthazar
  • Agree 1

Agree with Balthy. They will settle, but only a little. Since almost all cars are sitting on their springs all the time, by the time cars are 30, 40 years old, they all are sitting low and new springs makes them look too high. However, they came from the factory with a lot of extra height... its just most people don't remember them that way. Its been about 12 years since I put new springs in my '86 Buick wagon... and they finally have settled to "look", but now that car is sitting below factory spec again.

Hell, I just replaced the front struts on the '98 Sunfire and the new springs included are giving it a nose-up appearance that I'm not so happy with... and I fear I will need to do the rear struts to make it look right.

• Agree 1

Thanks for the input guys.It sounds like 6192 is a model of coil spring I should look for.

Just for some clarification, I had both the rear and front shocks replaced at the same time and it's just the front that sits really high which is why I'm assuming they're big block springs. I did take it to a local shop and inquired about them being cut and the guy there even showed me while the car was up on the lift that the top and bottom of the coil secure the spring in place and he didn't recommend cutting them.

Cutting the springs is generally better than heating them and screwing up the temper of the metal. Assuming that the both ends of the spring coil do not change diameter (more typical of rear springs), you can remove one whole coil and the ends of the spring will be in the same place.

Of course, if your not strictly into the original ride, I prefer aftermarket springs that firm up the suspension a bit and drop the car to closer to where you expect it to be... these also seem to sag less over time.

• Agree 1