Chevrolet News:Rumorpile: Next Camaro To Take On Evolutionary Design Path

All of this chafe at the idea of adding an option to the camaro that would broaden its appeal without watering down the core of the car at all. Are you *that* afraid of change?

Cheers & Gears is where rational, pragmatic approaches to the automotive industry go to die.

This place is 90% old people who hate seeing vehicles they can't even afford adapt to modern ideals.

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

AWD to performance auto's is a must today. You have the Young generation that has grown up on WRX/STI and EVO and they say I love the look of the Camero, can it get me up the mountain to the ski resort safely?

Yes some will say sure as is put on snow tires, most today want AWD and just drive it up and not have to deal with chains.

I say GM WOULD see a Solid sales increase with an AWD Camero.

• Agree 1

I could afford something along the lines of an RS 1LT with stick shift.

The reason old people (men and women) are buying the Camaro is the price. They're the only people who can afford it.

Adding two grand to the price by sticking AWD under it is not going to magically get high school kids to come up with the money to buy one.

Edited by ocnblu

The argument was put forth that more modern children would buy a Camaro if it were offered with optional AWD because they grew up with a WRX. Yet the car, even without the option of AWD, is already too expensive for most modern children. How much time did it take to put together that post on a Mac?

A trendy coupe version of the next Cruze would be a more likely candidate for an AWD version, maybe, TRU-ly.

Edited by ocnblu
  • Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

This actually brings up a point i have been meaning to mention recently.

Chevrolet's model lineup as a whole is quite deficient in AWD vehicles, especially affordable ones.

As Drew alluded to, more are getting hooked on AWD all the time. Even Honda now next year will have a compact AWD cute ute.

Cheapest Chevy AWD is the Equinox. And those are not all that cheap. None of Chevy's cars have AWD.

Ford at least has AWD option on Fusion and Taurus.

Buick finally has more than one AWD option but all their cars are expensive. GM forces Chevy to give up AWD to legitimize Buick.

I think adults would buy an AWD Camaro if they live in an area where AWD is an advantage for year-round driving. For many people who need a year-round car, not having AWD available in a RWD car means the car gets crossed off the list.

• Agree 1