APRIL 2014 CAR SPOTTERS THREAD!

^ Neat..one of those 'And now you know' trivia items..

I can't recall when I've seen one of these in person. I do see a sharp silver '65 Jetstar I in Scottsdale occasionally.

The '65-66 Starfires were neat looking cars, similar roofline to the Grand Prix of those years.

007.jpg

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar
  • Agree 1

This was a few weeks ago, but still in april.

These are such attractive cars... wish Saab had made it just for this car alone.

I've only seen a couple of those 9-5s in person, very attractive design IMO..

Ahem Impala. Anyhow, back on topic, I saw an old BMW 5 series with a Lincoln Mk VII diesel engine in it chugging through the grocery store parking lot. And a late 40's Dodge two-door sedan in black. Immediately made me think of a late model Benz E-class coupe, because the quarter windows were divided similarly.

Saw AAA helping a Tesla on the side of the road and the guy was looking under the hood and had a dazzed look on his face. It was pretty funny as we buzzed by on the bus into work but it did stir up conversations about the pure electric auto's.

• Agree 1

Dunno what he'd see under the hood... it is empty under there.

I wonder if you can jump start a Tesla or what he was looking for myself as based on past comments, I thought you call Tesla and they come bring you a loaner while picking up yours to fix, charge etc.

Out of curiosity, when did you see this? I read an article just yesterday about a journalist in his first distance run in a Telsa who, I'm sure, was doing things on purpose to make the tesla look bad. For example, leaving on a 250 mile journey with only a 250 mile charge... of course he ran out of juice on a rural highway at 1am, 3 miles from the charging station and then no one from AAA wanted to flat-bed him because they don't know the procedure. (hint: jumpstarting a tesla is exactly the same as jump starting any other car, except you access the terminals through the nose). And yes, you must jump start a Telsa to wake it up enough to pull it on a flatbed. Reading the entire article its as if he was trying to get stuck.

OCN, most of the Telsa owners I've met are well-to-do types who have "thinking" related jobs.... 3 of the Telsa owners I know of here in Pittsburgh work for Carnegie Mellon University (2 in the advanced computing department, one in the advanced propulsion department). Clearly their heads aren't empty. In fact, it's usually the people incapable of open-mindedness and critical thought who tend to be the most empty headed by sheer virtue of refusing to fill up their brains with other ideas and new facts.

OCN, most of the Tesla owners I've met are well-to-do types who have "thinking" related jobs.... 3 of the Telsa owners I know of here in Pittsburgh work for Carnegie Mellon University (2 in the advanced computing department, one in the advanced propulsion department). Clearly their heads aren't empty. In fact, it's usually the people incapable of open-mindedness and critical thought who tend to be the most empty headed by sheer virtue of refusing to fill up their brains with other ideas and new facts.

Exactly...I've met a few Tesla owners, and Volt owners..they are intelligent, forward-looking technology-driven professionals..definitely not losers.

• Agree 1

The Volt Uber driver that picked me up a few weeks ago is a retired U of Pitt professor. There are free charging stations on Pitt campus that he sits in until an Uber fare pops up. He drives university students around town, with no fuel cost to him, while making side money. He made $50 driving me out to the airport and will have only used gasoline on the return part of the trip... we were still in EV mode when he dropped me off.

As Uber service continues to grow in Pittsburgh, he could be making $75 an hour just driving around town with almost zero fuel costs.

He sits in his car and reads while waiting for a fare. He also has a Ram Crewcab.

Sounds like he's thinking okay to me....

There at least 4 Volts in my office complex, which is owned by ASU....my coworker w/ the Volt is leading the charge (no pun intended) to get ASU to add charging stations to this parking lot, would make sense now as they are ripping up everything to put in solar panel carports over the lot..

• 2 weeks later...

Impala is great looking, and for its class has one of the best interiors.... but it has that qualifier of "for the class". The 9-5 and XTS are both superior in that regard.

Impala is still stunning for what it is.

Early '70s blue & white Mustang Mach 1

I always did like that body style.

'68 Bel Air 2-dr sedan, 396 big block, 3-spd manual.... on the column. Asking $2500.

0429141439_zps139edc85.jpg

Almost enough to get me back into vintage cars. I like odd ducks like this one.

Yeah, that's the logic I've explained to her Drew. If we continue putting the G6 monthly payment into savings, next summer she can get herself a nicely equipped car or a decent lease.

Encore would be a nice choice.

^ Ha- but that's merely a Super 88. Line up a 98 next to it.

After hitting the sweet spot stylistically in -say-54-57, Olds dropping into the barrel bottom by '59-61. '62s & after improved immeasurably, tho.

'57 Plymouth Savoy 4-dr sedan, grey primer with green scallops, rollin.

62 olds was fantastic.