Well someone has spilled the beans and released the 2015 Dodge Charger and Challenger to the world before their official debut at the New York Auto Show tomorrow. Here's the 411 on both models.

First up is the 2015 Charger and has undergone a major transformation with every body panel getting changed in some way. The front end is the most dramatic change with it taking some ideas from the Dart with a larger crosshair grille, slimmer headlights with with distinctive C-shaped LED daytime running lights, and a new bumper with separate LED running lights. Around back is a new trunk lid with a revised taillight. R/T models get a new lip spoiler that take the place of the raised spoiler.

Inside, the Charger gets a new steering wheel, shifter knob, and interior trim choices. On the technology front, Dodge has fitted a new 7.4 screen into the instrument cluster and offers a choice of touchscreens up to 8.4 inches in the center stack. Owners will also get get trial access to Uconnect services, which include 911, roadside assistance, theft alert, voice texting and a Wi-Fi hotspot to name a few features.

As for powertrains, the 3.6L Pentastar V8 and 5.7L HEMI V8 carry over with no changes in horsepower and torque. What has changed is a new TorqueFlite eight-speed automatic is coming to the V8.

Mechanical changes come in the form of new drive modes. The modes (normal, comfort, and sport) adjust throttle response, steering, and transmission.

The 2015 Charger goes on sale sometime in the forth quarter.

2015 Dodge Charger Gallery

Source: Dodge

For Info On The 2015 Challenger, See The Next Page

Meanwhile for the 2015 Challenger, it begins with some light changes outside. There is a new split grille, LED daytime running lights, revised tail lamps, and more pronounced power bulge. Inside, the dashboard is redesigned to fit a new range of touchscreens all the way up to 8.4 inches. A new seven-inch screen resides in the instrument cluster.

As for the lineup, the 2015 Challenger is offered in six different variants. They are as followed:

• SXT and SXT Plus: Come with 3.6L Pentastar V6
  • R/T, R/T Plus, R/T Shaker, and R/T Plus Shaker: Come with the 5.7L HEMI V8 with 375 horsepower and 410 pound-feet of torque. Shaker models come with the Shaker hood.
  • 6.4-liter Scat Pack and 392 HEMI Scat Pack Shaker: Come with the 6.4L HEMI V8 with 70 horsepower and 470 pound-feet of torque. Also pack Brembo brakes and twenty-inch aluminum wheels

All models come standard with a six-speed manual, while an eight-speed automatic is optional across the board.

Other changes for the 2015 Challenger include a new electric steering system with the choice of three different modes, Super Track Pak suspension upgrade, and a system where you can set throttle, transmission and steering performance to the way you want it.

The 2015 Challenger goes on sale this fall.

Source: Dodge

2015 Dodge Challenger Gallery

View full article

I love the Challanger packages, very good and should sell well for them and there is something for everyone including the collectors.

In regards to the Charger, I love that they kept the indent on the front doors and the huanches and the rear is nice. The Interior I really like and as such feel it will still sell well for them.

The Nose, I am mixed on. I see the point in getting better areo dynamics for MPG, but it lost the Charger Look and now looks vague, plain forgetable. Nice but forgetable. Not sure if it will grow on me or not. Mixed about the front Nose job. This is like Baby from Dirty Dancing, She got a nose job and became forgetable and only now is making it back into TV and Movies.

I like the new front end with the slimmer grill and connected, slimmer headlights. It makes the car look visually wider. Plus, while I do like the current front end, I hated that small overhang of the current car's grill. The rear is a more refined evolution. Overall I really like the updates.

Challenger got attention where it needed it the most: inside. No complaints about the exterior tweaks.. Dig The Shaker.

I'm not totally sold on the Charger's new face but it's growing on me from certain angles. The Challenger however is awesome, that interior is light years ahead of the old one, my love for this car just grew even more.

Is the 8 speed auto the same ZF 8 speed they've been using? I'm curious to see what that will do for the fuel economy on the 5.7 V8. Mine definitely needs at least one more gear on top to drop the revs. At 74 I'm turning at about 2400 or so.

So far, I like mine better, but I'll be in NY to see this one on Saturday. I like my more aggressive front end better than this smoothed out front end. From the rear, I think this new one really looks like the Dart. I hope it looks better in person than in these pics.

• Agree 1

I immediately love the Challenger's tweaks. The Charger's jarring new Dart-like front end, stuck on the old car's midsection, with a Dart-like tail... I don't know. So far I prefer the previous Charger front. The rear is sort of... the same but different.

Not bad, the Charger does more for me than any Chrysler vehicle in recent memory. A few details seem a little off, but overall a positive direction.

The Challenger...well, haven't been a fan of the front since its intro. Nice rear clip, though, better than the new '14 Camaro's (which looks like a '90s integra to me)

Is the 8 speed auto the same ZF 8 speed they've been using? I'm curious to see what that will do for the fuel economy on the 5.7 V8. Mine definitely needs at least one more gear on top to drop the revs. At 74 I'm turning at about 2400 or so.

I think its a different one judging from the name of the transmission.. I'll check in with Chrysler and see if its the same or not.

Based on the comments here, Dodge has done with the Charger what Ram did with their trucks. Love it or hate it look that will have people talking about it.

If anyone can photo shop this into an all black model like the cops are doing as sleeper unmarked cars that would be great. :D

It's not the ZF unit I dont think.

The interior is an excellent update of the current model but calling it an upgrade is a bit of a stretch. The material qualitys is largely the same, but I'm hoping they'll assemble it better than the current car.

These two aren't really what I'd be looking for for myself, but it gives me hope for the 300 which has a visually handsome interior that suffers from issues in assembly.

I don't like the Dart front end on the Charger or the narrow headlights. There doesn't seem to be a lot new here, it is like the Cruze or Infiniti Q70 and QX80 refreshes, it doesn't seem like they really did too much, other than make the front ends look worse. At least they dumped the 5-speed automatic on the V8 models.

• Disagree 1

As a MY12 Charger R/T owner (same color as the one in the pics, no less), my first impression of this was not wowed, not horrified. I get that they are trying for a family resemblance. I don't get why everybody wants to suddenly see the Dart in everything, though. Suddenly every Chrysler car looks exactly like a Dart? This, the 200, I just don't get it. Does this have Dart appearance cues in the front end? Yes. But if nothing else I think that front end looks more like the Journey or the Durango than the Dart. Just my opinion, though.

Having said that, it does grow on me a little every time I see it. I'm beginning to like it more and more. I'm curious to see how it will look in the SXT trim and also curious why they only released pictures of an R/T. Will the SXT still have a black painted front bumper mid-section or will it be body color? I also think this might look much better in the darker colors such as black and grey ala Corvette.

A better refresh would have been to leave the front end alone, and add the 3.0 diesel to it, if they can get 30 mpg on a Grand Cherokee, I bet they could get 33 on a Charger. And the police would love that too since diesels run forever.

Call me crazy but I see this less as the Dart styling on the Charger than I set it as the next logical styling evolution from the 2008 Magnum. That was the one and done refresh year. To me it is refreshed Magnum styling on the Charger.

2008-dodge-magnum-srt8-2_1280x0w.jpg

Edited by 2QuickZ's

I am a huge fan of the 2015 Charger! If I wasn't so interested in trucks I think I finally found the vehicle that would sway me back to a 'car'.

Saw it Saturday in NYC and was very 'wowed' by it in person :smilewide:

As I have said before, I believe this is a love it or hate it refresh of the front end. Everything else looks fine to me.

• 3 weeks later...

I love the Challanger packages, very good and should sell well for them and there is something for everyone including the collectors.

In regards to the Charger, I love that they kept the indent on the front doors and the huanches and the rear is nice. The Interior I really like and as such feel it will still sell well for them.

The Nose, I am mixed on. I see the point in getting better areo dynamics for MPG, but it lost the Charger Look and now looks vague, plain forgetable. Nice but forgetable. Not sure if it will grow on me or not. Mixed about the front Nose job. This is like Baby from Dirty Dancing, She got a nose job and became forgetable and only now is making it back into TV and Movies.

Pretty much have to agree with everything here.

I'm not sure making the Charger look more like the Fiat Dart front and back was a good thing to do. The Challenger is much better executed in my eyes.

QFT

A better refresh would have been to leave the front end alone, and add the 3.0 diesel to it, if they can get 30 mpg on a Grand Cherokee, I bet they could get 33 on a Charger. And the police would love that too since diesels run forever.

actually not a bad idea. Modern diesels are fighting emissions issues, though.

• 4 weeks later...

I saw a couple MY15 Chargers on the road without camo yesterday. Only one was an R/T the others were I presume SXT's though I don't remember seeing a badge. They did not have the center section of the bumper painted black like the R/T did. As a current Charger owner I can say I was not wowed by the front end styling when I first saw the pictures but after seeing them in person, I am back on board. I thought they looked pretty good rolling along.

That's one of the perks of living in the Metro Detroit area. You get to see a lot of different vehicles cruising around long before they are actually on sale. :) I remember taking pics of a current gen CTS-V before they had come out. We also get to see a lot of the Euro stuff that isn't sold here.

Edited by 2QuickZ's

Very nice front end on the Charger!

It picks up all of the visual cues I like from the 66-74 cars, while being modern. Agreed with the idea of an all black cop car.

I saw a couple MY15 Chargers on the road without camo yesterday. Only one was an R/T the others were I presume SXT's though I don't remember seeing a badge. They did not have the center section of the bumper painted black like the R/T did. As a current Charger owner I can say I was not wowed by the front end styling when I first saw the pictures but after seeing them in person, I am back on board. I thought they looked pretty good rolling along.

That's one of the perks of living in the Metro Detroit area. You get to see a lot of different vehicles cruising around long before they are actually on sale. :) I remember taking pics of a current gen CTS-V before they had come out. We also get to see a lot of the Euro stuff that isn't sold here.

PICS PLS!!

• Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

While an improvement it is still way passed in need of replacement.

Fiat right now is scrambling with their plans for Chrysler.  The changes to Dodge and Chrysler will be interesting to see if they work.

• 2 months later...

The entire platform is way overdue for replacement. The Hellcat was a way to stimulate some excitement and the interior tweaks will buy some time. But with Ford and GM both moving to more modern, lighter and improved models these cars will have to continue to buy time.

What worries me is how much are they making on the regular models that make up the majority of sales? My in laws just bought a new 300 and while it is a nice car they paid $10,000 off sticker for the car with real hassle. They like it but my Mother In Law is already missing the little details her old Cadillac offered. I had to break the news to here when you pay less you get less.

I am looking forward to the Hellcat in a new modern platform but that is a few years out yet.

I also expect to hear more about the Chevy engine that is reported to be over 1,000 HP in testing but they are having issues with putting the power down. I would assume this may be for the in progress C8? There is just not enough info out yet to get a good idea what they are working on. The large number has leaked out and that is all.

Yes, the current 300 is a bit behind, but I'm hoping the coming refresh for it will have at least a similar level of improvement.

I don't agree with the idea that this platform needs to go on any particular diet. The 300c with V6 and 8-speed will already easily out MPG anything of similar size from Ford or GM or the imports.   One of the GMC PR people is my friend on Facebook and he was posting about how the Lacrosse V6 MPG is so great, he got 30mpg on a recent highway trip.... I didn't have the heart to reply to him that if I did that in a V6 Chrysler LX car, I'd be bringing it into the dealership to make sure there wasn't a stuck caliper.  I've consistently gotten well over 30mpg highway in normal driving, and sometimes over 35mpg in the Pentastar LX cars.

Just today I climbed from 4,000 ft to 11,000 feet above sea level and back in Rocky Mountain National Park with 4 people in the car and the DIC is registering 28mpg.

Could the LX car be lighter?  Maybe, but that isn't what needs improving the most.

A lot of FCA's sales numbers the last few years have been from making lemonade from lemons.  Avengers, 200's, Patriot, Journey, Compass, Charger.....they buy time by doing a better job with MCE's and therefore the car stays attactive to people who want to spend less.  Nothing wrong with that, but as you say, in awhile you will notice why.

I've racked up about 5k miles on the company 13 Journey myself and I can tell you it has loosened up quite a bit by 40k miles.  Plus there were things that weren't that great to begin with.  But then there are other aspects like a freshened interior, excellent pentastar engine.......

(Journey AWD is capable of 28-30 mpg highway often BTW)

I think FCA will continue to milk this platform and the model for 4-5 more years.  I doubt they will replace it with anything as large, nor will it be RWD.  They are going to ride this out as long as they can.  The increasing regs forcing people into crackerboxes with 1 litre turbos and such, and the large car market seemingly getting squeezed too......they will ride this out.....

myself i wouldn't buy a Journey as a first choice, but maybe its an excellent lower cost fallback compared to say an Equinox or Edge or even an Explorer.   One dealer here has new FWD v6 Journeys for a tish over 20k right now.  That is amazing for a family vehicle with road legs and space.  Makes the Equinox look like a real poor value in comparison if you are just looking for that.

I'd consider a 300 for the right price as a family traveling car.  But I'd always want a GM or Ford first.

Edited by regfootball

Reg, you're actually wrong about the regs.  If anything, the best move for Chrysler would be to increase the LX platform wheelbase by 2 inches and track by 1 inch.  That would actually lower the EPA requirement for fuel economy.

Referencing my above trip in the 300... we followed up in San Francisco with a '15 Sonata 2.4.  Same 4 guys, same trunk full of luggage, mostly highway driving with minimal changes in altitude and only once stuck in traffic while we waited to pay a toll, driving in "Eco" mode all the time.  27.5 mpg... all for a 100hp deficit

I'm betting we actually would have done better in San Fran if we'd had the 300 instead.

I almost grabbed a 200 Limited, but the trunk would have never held all of our luggage... both the 300 and Sonata were full.

• 5 months later...

I must say that the challenger looks incredible. I'm already sold just looking at the photos, and hearing the remake of many things. They have done a complete 360...and it was very worth it. Now that's a beautiful car.