88 Monte Carlo SS Masterpiece

David

G. David Felt

Alternative Fuels & Propulsion writer

www.CheersandGears.com

post-12-0-90920000-1401425251_thumb.jpg

Chevy sent out tonight their Newsletter in which they showcased the Monte Carlo Masterpiece. This is a Modernized 1988 Monte Carlo SS with an LS376/525 V8 using a T-56 6 speed manual Transmission. This 525HP upgrade replaced the original 180HP with 4 speed automatic. The car will be shown at SEMA and be the test bed for a first-ever Chevy Performance Crate Powertrain system with manual transmission.

Full story found here:

http://www.chevrolet.com/performance/fuel-newsletter/2014/issue3.html?eVar36=MRM_eml_cp_fuel_ah02_0514_14143613328

This is my dream car done right and the only thing that could make it better is if it was the Aero version with CNG! :D

• 2 weeks later...

Sweet ride. We recently completed an upgrade of a mint 1988 Monte SS with maroon bucket seat interior. It was a higher 120k example and with a rust free well cared for body this car was ripe for a power transplant. The 305 and 200R-4 came out and in went a Vortec head 350 horse 5.7 350 V8 and a rebuilt 200 R-4 with upgrades and additional cooling. While the 305 still ran reasonably well it's 8 second 0-60 times were often embarrassed by many current 4 cylinders including a crazy old man in a 2013 Sonata with a 2.4 198 HP 4 banger that managed to out pull us by a full car length in a drag race! With the new 350 this is a high 12's quarter mile car and way more fun to drive. Now we just need to do something about the half worn rubber! LOL

Sweet ride. We recently completed an upgrade of a mint 1988 Monte SS with maroon bucket seat interior. It was a higher 120k example and with a rust free well cared for body this car was ripe for a power transplant. The 305 and 200R-4 came out and in went a Vortec head 350 horse 5.7 350 V8 and a rebuilt 200 R-4 with upgrades and additional cooling. While the 305 still ran reasonably well it's 8 second 0-60 times were often embarrassed by many current 4 cylinders including a crazy old man in a 2013 Sonata with a 2.4 198 HP 4 banger that managed to out pull us by a full car length in a drag race! With the new 350 this is a high 12's quarter mile car and way more fun to drive. Now we just need to do something about the half worn rubber! LOL

Maroon was my favorite color. Please post photo's would love to see it. :D

• 4 weeks later...

I happen to own a Black 1985 Monte Carlo SS with a 406 and a 12bolt  rear-end. I was planning on a T-56 for this winter. All that said this Chevy built Monte Carlo is a beauty, but I really would have liked to see some good interior shots so I could get a look at the recaro seating, I'd be very interested in seeing what model they chose and how it looked in the car.

Edited by Tyran

• 2 months later...