May 2014: Mazda North American Operations

Mazda Records Best May Sales In 18 Years

IRVINE, Calif., June 3, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- Mazda North American Operations (MNAO) today reported May U.S. sales of 29,731 vehicles, representing an increase of 22.5 percent versus last year. Year-to-date sales through May are up 6.4 percent versus last year, with 130,223 vehicles sold.

"Despite the economy being anyone's guess these days, with GDP down and durable goods orders off, we see consumer confidence looking strong and shoppers turning into buyers, and the proof of this is the results we saw across the industry with May sales," said Ron Stettner, VP, Sales for MNAO. "At Mazda, Memorial Day was huge for us, and we feared a slowdown toward the end of the month that never happened."

Key May sales notes:

• May of 2014 proved to be the best May of Mazda3 sales in four years (2010) with 10,682 vehicles sold and an increase of 19.6 percent YOY.
  • Mazda6 sales continued the record May performance marking the best May in eight years (2006) with 5,461 vehicles sold, representing an increase of 38.5 percent YOY.
  • Mazda CX-5 sales resulted in the best May ever with 9,291 vehicle sold, an increase of 30.3 percent YOY.
  • Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY accounted for 85.6 percent of total sales in the month of May.
  • Mazda's Certified Pre-Owned (CPO) sales reported May sales of 3,661 vehicles, up 17.9 percent YOY. Year-to-date sales through May are up 18.0 percent with 17,194 vehicles sold.

Mazda Motor de Mexico (MMdM) reported May sales of 3,332 vehicles, up 15.0 percent versus May of last year. This is the best ever May and the 16th consecutive month of YOY growth for MMdM.

post-10485-0-58565000-1401822433_thumb.j

Mazda6 sales finally up. Every time I see one of them on the road I can't help but think what a nice looking car it is. I wonder how much the diesel engine (if it ever gets here) will help sales. Are there people waiting for diesel availability before purchasing one?

It is a shame that the Mazda 3 and 6 don't sell better. Both have one of the best interiors in their class, both also get good fuel economy and both from what I have read are fun to drive. The Mazda 3 interior theme and style reminds me a bit of BMW, they have a nice modern design theme to their sedan interiors. It is amazing that a Corolla that is awful outsells the Mada 3-1 because I think the Mazda 3 is probably the best small car out there right now, with honerable mention to the Focus.