Are these the most boring cars you can own?

Are these the most boring cars you can own?

G. David Felt
Staff Writer Alternative Energy

www.CheersandGears.com

MSN posted a story today about the most boring cars money can buy and one common point was the lack of driving excitement and what you got for the price. Interesting is that many of these autos are also considered to be rental fleet dumps. The other clear point being made is that they are not haters of hybrids, but of the CVT transmission that makes the driving a bore.

Their list starts off with number one;

1. Mitsubishi Mirage
  2. Toyota Prius
  3. Volkswagen Jetta
  4. Mitsubishi Lancer
  5. Honda Civic Hybrid
  6. Nissan Altima
  7. Chevrolet Tahoe
  8. Acura ILX
  9. Buick LaCrosse
  10. Nissan LEAF
  11. Lexus ES 300h
  12. Chrysler Town & Country Minivan
  13. BMW 535i Gran Turismo
  14. Nissan Rogue Select

I do have to have a good laugh at the MSN editors own comments on #13, is it boring or just plain offensive? So do you think these are Boring cars to buy or do you have a better list than MSN has put together?

Jetta with the GLI package can be really fun.

Leaf is actually fun to drive because you have full torque from stop.

Tahoe is fantastic to run a bunch of friends to a hockey game and out to dinner or the like. It's not exactly what I would choose for a track day toy, but as a tow vehicle it would be unbeatable, methinks. Plenty of room in the back for tools or camping gear. Or tow a boat with the damn thing. Not every car needs to entertain you every minute of the drive.

Acura ILX is essentially an upscale Civic SI. For someone who wasn't a car nut, I could see it being a viable choice.

So no, I do not agree with the list.

This is an odd list. Many are very drab and boring...but the most? No, not really.

Vehicles such as a Tahoe are a bit of an odd fit. How is the Camry not here...as an example.

Different opinions, different articles. Always a different view.

1. Toyota Prius

2. Nissan Leaf

3. Mitsubishi Mirage

4. Any hybrid or electric vehicle

I don't understand how any Volkswagen could be on a list of boring cars.

Edited by ocnblu

1. Toyota Prius

2. Nissan Leaf

3. Fiat 500e

4. Mitsubishi Mirage

5. Toyota Corolla

6. Honda Civic

7. Chrysler Sebring

8. Scion product line

9. Mini Vans

10. VW Passat

• 3 weeks later...

This needs done by segment, I will start with subcompact and move up to large car, then luxury then van, suv.  Their list has some boring cars, but I don't think the Altima is as boring as others in the segment, and the Passat in SEL trim looks nice.

Mainstream:

Toyota Yaris and Mitsubishi Mirage (tie)

Toyota Corolla

Dodge Avenger

Toyota Avalon and Buick Lacross (tie)

Luxury:

Acura ILX

Lexus ES

Lincoln MKS

SUV or Van

Honda CR-V

Mitsubishi Outlander

Honda Pilot

Toyota Sienna

Most boring car ever award goes to the Toyota Echo.

Mercedes Benz E350. So what it is a RWD? It is possibly the most boring luxury sedan currently existing. The styling is bland, the interior is sub-par. Driving dynamics - let us just forget that point. It excels at nothing.

At least the diesel has some cache, however, with the 4-banger with anemic power now in, it may now be the second most boring Mercedes. Just a point A to point B transportation for people who want to spend money.

Mercedes Benz E350. So what it is a RWD? It is possibly the most boring luxury sedan currently existing. The styling is bland, the interior is sub-par. Driving dynamics - let us just forget that point. It excels at nothing.

At least the diesel has some cache, however, with the 4-banger with anemic power now in, it may now be the second most boring Mercedes. Just a point A to point B transportation for people who want to spend money.

The E-class is the #1 selling mid-size luxury car, because all around it is the best luxury car.  The diesel gets 42 mpg, better than any Jaguar, Cadillac, Infiniti, or Lexus, better than a 5-series or an A6.  The E63 AMG S does 0-60 in 3.3 seconds, that makes it faster than any other 4-door on the market.

Nissan Maxima....most sub par upscale sedan.  As Drew once said, its a fine car, just not very exciting and wildly overpriced for what it is.

The Taurus can run over $40,000 also, I think the Maxima is at least more exciting than a Taurus, or Avalon for that matter.  I think the Impala is the most exciting from a styling standpoint, it looks good in the front. 

The E-class is the #1 selling mid-size luxury car, because all around it is the best luxury car.  The diesel gets 42 mpg, better than any Jaguar, Cadillac, Infiniti, or Lexus, better than a 5-series or an A6.  The E63 AMG S does 0-60 in 3.3 seconds, that makes it faster than any other 4-door on the market.

Camry is the best selling mid-size car, is it because it is best? And just because E250D gets 42 mpg, does not mean it is not boring. Prius gets that and better, is it exciting? Somehow I had a feeling, my statement would be challenged by rhetoric!

And remember I said E350, not other E class cars. No need to bring in discussion what E63 can do.

Nissan Maxima....most sub par upscale sedan.  As Drew once said, its a fine car, just not very exciting and wildly overpriced for what it is.

The Taurus can run over $40,000 also, I think the Maxima is at least more exciting than a Taurus, or Avalon for that matter.  I think the Impala is the most exciting from a styling standpoint, it looks good in the front. 

Taurus, Avalon and Maxima are all back markers for the class though.  And the Impala drives as nice as it looks.

CVT = instantly disqualified.