General Motors Posts Best June Sales Since 2007

• Retail sales up 9 percent selling day adjusted

2014-07-01

DETROIT – General Motors Co. (NYSE: GM) dealers delivered 267,461 vehicles in the United States in June. Total sales were up 1 percent compared to a year ago. Retail sales were up 1 percent and fleet sales were up 2 percent.

There were two fewer selling days in June compared with a year ago. On a selling- day adjusted basis, GM’s total sales were up 9 percent. Retail deliveries were up 9 percent and fleet sales were up 10 percent.

The seasonally adjusted annual selling rate (SAAR) for light vehicles in June was an estimated 16.6 million units, topping 16 million units for the fourth consecutive month. The estimated SAAR for the first half of the year was 16.1 million, which is within GM’s full-year forecast of 16.0 million to 16.5 million units.

“June was the third very strong month in a row for GM, with every brand up on a selling-day adjusted basis,” said Kurt McNeil, U.S. vice president of Sales Operations. “In fact, the first half of the year was our best retail sales performance since 2008, driven by an outstanding second quarter.”

GM’s commercial fleet business also continues to grow, posting its eighth consecutive monthly increase for the best June since 2007.

“It’s clear that our commercial and small business customers are expecting a strong second half of the year and they are building their fleets to meet demand,” McNeil said.

Commercial fleet sales were up 48 percent, driven by strong pickup, van and small car sales. Government deliveries were up 14 percent thanks to strong car sales. Small business deliveries, which are included in retail sales, were up 6 percent, driven by van, SUV and pickup sales. Rental deliveries were down 11 percent. At the beginning of June, GM indicated that fleet sales for the month would likely be down due to the timing of rental customer deliveries.

June Sales Highlights (vs. 2013 except as noted)

• Buick had its best June since 2006. Deliveries were up 18 percent, driven by an 82 percent increase in Encore deliveries, a 33 percent increase for LaCrosse, a 26 percent increase for Regal and a 5 percent increase for Enclave.
  • GMC also had its best June since 2006. Deliveries were up 11 percent driven by strong demand for the redesigned Yukon, up 120 percent, as well as the Yukon XL, up 70 percent; the Terrain, up 8 percent; and the Savana, up 129 percent. 
  • Deliveries of the Chevrolet Spark and Sonic were up 19 percent and 36 percent, respectively.
  • Deliveries of the Chevrolet Tahoe were up 93 percent and Suburban sales were up 73 percent. Traverse was up 3 percent and Silverado was up 1 percent.
  • Cadillac sales were up, with Escalade up 57 percent and SRX up 19 percent. It was Cadillac’s best June since 2008, and 57 percent of customers did not trade in a Cadillac.
  • GM’s average transaction prices (ATPs) were in line with April and May, with higher pickup, SUV and Cadillac ATPs offsetting declines among cars and crossovers, according to mid-month J.D. Power PIN estimates.
  • For the second quarter, ATPs were up about $800 per unit versus the first quarter. Calendar year to date, ATPs are up about $2,700 compared with a year ago.
  • Incentive spending as a percentage of ATP was 10.9 percent, up 0.2 points from a year ago, according to J.D. Power PIN estimates. The industry average for June was 9.7 percent, also up 0.2 points from a year ago.

Cadillac, has been concerning in 2014. Chevrolet sedans sales are extremely volatile. Otherwise solid sales. This is where a strong fifth brand would have propelled GM to low 300k sales.

GM is still a truck company, they survive on trucks and SUVs.  They still don't put their primary focus on engineering or advertising cars because to them the profits are on trucks, so they'll keep milking it as long as they can.

I imagine a lot of people by a Cruze or Malibu based on if they can get a good deal, so if incentives are big that month they buy, if the incentives are better on a Hyundai or Ford or whatever they will just go there.

Cadillac's sedan struggles don't surprise me, the XTS got its fleet sales the first year, now it is cooling off back to where DTS sales levels were.  The ATS and CTS look a bit boring, plus Cadillac doesn't have the hybrids or diesels that Lexus and the Germans have.  Cadillac also lacks coupes, convertibles, etc. 

Smk you're about right. But any basic brand like Chevy will depend on the promotions. Caddy's deal is it can't support German pricing. Gm fans don't throw money at cars like German fans do. They may never.

ATS is a problem. The small size hurts but that could also be opportunity. They need to pare down on the higher price ATS and build more of the entry to low price ATS. They need to refocus the car with more of a sporting and youthful focus. They need to get a new sportier dash in it and offer a stick with the AWD. They need performance versions yesterday.

• Agree 3

Caddy is still undercutting the Germans in price, the CTS is about $6,000 cheaper than the E-class base price, the ATS is $3,000 cheaper than the Audi A4.  I don't think the ATS is too small when the 3-series sales are on fire and the C-class which came out 7 years ago is still selling strong.  Demand is up on the A3 and A4 and Lexus IS also.  Basically every small luxury car is on fire except the ATS.   Cadillacs need to get better, not bigger or cheaper.  They do need better marketing, their ads are hopeless, don't promote the brand, don't promote the models, don't really sell the features of the car, it is pretty much a lost cause all around.  I think their last good commercial had Led Zeppelin in it.

I'm not too worried about the CTS.  I don't think anybody expected it to move up in size and price and still hang onto it's previous volume.  ATS is definitely a concern, though.  I've never driven one but I'm guessing the powertrains are the letdown?  I've read the turbo four is not "refined" enough.  I have sat in them and I thought the interior was fine and the back seat leg room was small but to be expected.  Most people buying a car in the class are rarely ever going to have someone in the back seat anyway.  I wonder if CUE is also turning people off?

To me, the Cruze and Malibu fall offs are more concerning.  Did some big incentives end or is this a direct effect of the recalls (especially the Cruze)?  To me, the Cruze is a little long in the tooth and the Malibu became less desirable when they downsized it so these are two mainstream products GM has where people will readily look elsewhere.

BTW - Encore sales....wow, just wow!  It is outselling Verano and Regal and barely being outsold by LaCrosse.  Who would have guessed that when it launched?

• Agree 1

GM is still a truck company, they survive on trucks and SUVs. They still don't put their primary focus on engineering or advertising cars because to them the profits are on trucks, so they'll keep milking it as long as they can.

When trucks are 50% or more of all vehicle sales, it is certainly not a scenario where a Co is "milking" anything, nor is it a market fluke. You're never going to see truck sales drop back down to 10-15% marketshare, and when exclusive niche carmakers like bentley & porsche are going to/ building trucks, you can take that to the bank. Maintaining leadership in trucks is a very progressive business move.

There have been numerous Co's that have survived & thrived building trucks for the better part of a century, you're just going to have to come to grips with that fact.

BTW, mercedes has dozens of trucks they 'milk profits on' too, to the point they'll (completely unneccesarily) park a row of sprinters RIGHT NEXT to s-classes on what's supposed to be some sort of 'luxury buying experience' at the dealer. Must be a chunk of the reason dealers have to put $15K on the hood of the s-class to move them; when its door handle to door handle with a refrigerator white tin can, its tough to get sticker price.

Edited by balthazar

I am not saying GM focusing on trucks is a bad thing, that is what they do because it is what they are good at and what they are able to sell.  I think crossover buyers are less demanding, and Toyota's and Honda's crossovers are pretty ugly so it is easy for Chevy and Buick and Ford also to capitalize on that market.  Same with pick up trucks, the Detroit 3 have that market cornered and they reap the profits because pickup buyers will shell out money for trucks.

I am just saying that I am not surprised that Cruze and Malibu have lackluster sales because they are lackluster products that GM doesn't really spend time developing or marketing.  It isn't any different than in the 90s or 2000s when the Cavalier, Cobalt, Lumina, Monte Carlo, etc didn't get much effort put into them.  It is just the way they do things, that is why they keep GMC and give Buick 3 SUVs so Buick-GMC dealers have 6 SUVs and 3 sedans.  They want to sell trucks, and there is nothing wrong with that.

I'd like to see proof that S-classes are selling at $15,000 off sticker, when demand is so high the factory is producing cars at 100% capacity.  The Mercedes dealer nearest me has 13 S-class on the lot, the cheapest one is $108,655 and there are no lease specials and only a 2.99% finance special, which is no better than what local banks offer.  My guess is the discounts over at Lexus, Audi and BMW on their big sedans are much more since the S-class is whipping them all.  I think the S-class will be even less likely to get discounted once the coupe arrives, those will probably sell over sticker at first.

I'm not too worried about the CTS.  I don't think anybody expected it to move up in size and price and still hang onto it's previous volume.  ATS is definitely a concern, though.  I've never driven one but I'm guessing the powertrains are the letdown?  I've read the turbo four is not "refined" enough.  I have sat in them and I thought the interior was fine and the back seat leg room was small but to be expected.  Most people buying a car in the class are rarely ever going to have someone in the back seat anyway.  I wonder if CUE is also turning people off?

I think people don't like CUE, I think the new ATS and CTS look a bit boring, especially from the back, and my guess is you are right about powertrains.

Problem is Mercedes spends about $2 billion in development per model line.  Cadillac doesn't have that sort of budget to work with.   Audi spent $3.9 billion in R&D in 2012, BMW spent $5.4 billion, while Mercedes spent a whopping $7.6 billion.   General Motors spent $7.4 billion in 2012 and that has to be divided up among Buick, Chevy, GMC, Cadillac, Opel, etc. 

I am not saying GM focusing on trucks is a bad thing, that is what they do because it is what they are good at and what they are able to sell.  I think crossover buyers are less demanding, and Toyota's and Honda's crossovers are pretty ugly so it is easy for Chevy and Buick and Ford also to capitalize on that market.  Same with pick up trucks, the Detroit 3 have that market cornered and they reap the profits because pickup buyers will shell out money for trucks.

I am just saying that I am not surprised that Cruze and Malibu have lackluster sales because they are lackluster products that GM doesn't really spend time developing or marketing.  It isn't any different than in the 90s or 2000s when the Cavalier, Cobalt, Lumina, Monte Carlo, etc didn't get much effort put into them.  It is just the way they do things, that is why they keep GMC and give Buick 3 SUVs so Buick-GMC dealers have 6 SUVs and 3 sedans.  They want to sell trucks, and there is nothing wrong with that.

10-4.

I'd like to see proof that S-classes are selling at $15,000 off sticker, when demand is so high the factory is producing cars at 100% capacity.

The s-class sells at an ATP BELOW the MSRP for a no-option car, and you KNOW they are never sold with no options.

The option list last I looked totals around $30K, so even taking the 50% dollar figure of the option list, the discount/incentive/dealer price cut is monstrous.

I'D like to see proof MB is selling it @ 100% of capacity. Not passing the smell test, just like the "$1500 headlight" didn't.

10-4.

I'd like to see proof that S-classes are selling at $15,000 off sticker, when demand is so high the factory is producing cars at 100% capacity.

The s-class sells at an ATP BELOW the MSRP for a no-option car, and you KNOW they are never sold with no options.

The option list last I looked totals around $30K, so even taking the 50% dollar figure of the option list, the discount/incentive/dealer price cut is monstrous.

I'D like to see proof MB is selling it @ 100% of capacity. Not passing the smell test, just like the "$1500 headlight" didn't.

The best information I could find on selling prices and impressions seem to come from this report. US News did a report on the S Class showing average selling price ranges from $89,971 to $134,705 depending on equipment. 

This runs on average about $5000 below the stated selling price.

http://usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/cars-trucks/Mercedes-Benz_S-Class/

Even at a $10,000 discount, the S-class is still going to have transaction prices around $100-105K.  None of the competitors can claim that sort of price.  I can't find the article, but Mercedes did add Saturday shifts and overtime to the factory that produces the S-class last winter, which put them at max capacity which is like 460 cars per day.  I did read that just recently they started S-class production in India because they can build about 20,000 cars per year there to sell in Asia.  Up until then I think all S-class were built in Germany, thus why the factory is maxed out when trying to meed demand in Europe, North America, Middle East, China, etc.

Get back on GM sales.

Problem with ATS and CUE is perception. CUE is honestly not a bad product. It is intuitive and easy to remember. However, some complaints such as slow processing are valid. I think going CUE-lite like MYLINK would help to change the perception.

With ATS, it is now perception of space and size. There was a time with E46 and E90 when magazines would choose BMW solely due to driving dynamics despite of almost always being smallest of the competitors. These writers have moved on to be lazy and cozy.

Like Reg and SMK mentioned the ATS has faults, but so do its competitors. Lexus - with no manual, anemic V6. Audi - FWD queen. MB (old) - no sport, jaded interior. Infiniti - tired design, bland driving characteristics, no manual, confusing names. BMW - no more the handling queen but an entry level luxury barge, mediocre quality of materials. I just find hard to believe that sum of ATS faults are more than those of its competitors. But the faults that exist are made more glaring.

So where is GM faltering? Hard to beat the dead horse, but should, Marketing.

Also, some changes I would do with ATS,and Cadillac cars in general, in addition to REG's - entirely turbocharged lineup - the 2.5 and 3.6 are tired in the group of its competitors. Add ATS V-Sport with a ~350 hp engine. Retune the 2.0T, comments are indeed valid about its coarseness and lack of smooth delivery. Where is ATS V? I have a feeling that GM is caught by the chicken or the egg conundrum and thinking twice on this one given the abysmal sales of the sedan. Make sunroof standard and "delete" a $0 option.

• Agree 1

Marketing has to be a huge part of it. Z is utterly right about how bland the luxury market is. Take Audi and Cadillac out of the mix and I honestly can't find a car I would spend nearly that kind of coin on. Really, could anyone here honestly see spending real money on an infinity?

Marketing is a problem, but even good marketing isn't going to save Cadillac.  Their lineup is limited to 3 sedans, a FWD crossover and a rebadged Tahoe, not exactly a full line and they don't have a hybrid or a diesel.  The other guys all have hybrids, diesels, convertibles, sports cars, etc. 

I don't think the competitors are so flawed except Lincoln and Acura which are basically non factors.  Infiniti I think is a bit lost with the names and they made the Q50 a bit too big and expensive, it is too big and costly to compete with a 3-series but too small to compete with a 5-series.  Infiniti is sort of stuck where Cadillac is, they don't have a full line or the money to go head to head with the Germans.

I think a downside to Cadillac interiors is the shiny piano black plastic and the chrome knobs and buttons, it just seems to tacky and blingy inside their cars.  And little things like the carpet seem like what Chevy has in it, the interiors of the ATS and CTS feel cramped.  It is a lot of little stuff but it adds up, combine that with the powertrains that are a bit dated and buyers start to look elsewhere.

Get back on GM sales.

Problem with ATS and CUE is perception. CUE is honestly not a bad product. It is intuitive and easy to remember. However, some complaints such as slow processing are valid. I think going CUE-lite like MYLINK would help to change the perception.

I do hear CUE is a bit laggy.  That has not been my experience with the MYLINK in my Cruze.  It is not as quick or intuitive as the Uconnect in my Charger but I don't think much is.  The main complaint that I hear about the CUE system is regarding the capacitive buttons not being at all responsive.  I had this experience myself the one time I tried it.  I'm not sure if my iron level was low that day or what but it would take me multiple attempts stabbing at the capacitive buttons to get it to finally acknowledge my command.  Since it has haptic feedback, I know it was just slow responding.  It just flat out did not recognize my touch.

I don't think the competitors are so flawed except Lincoln and Acura which are basically non factors.

I think a downside to Cadillac interiors is the shiny piano black plastic and the chrome knobs and buttons, it just seems to tacky and blingy inside their cars.  And little things like the carpet seem like what Chevy has in it, the interiors of the ATS and CTS feel cramped.  It is a lot of little stuff but it adds up, combine that with the powertrains that are a bit dated and buyers start to look elsewhere.

Are you saying that the flaws of ATS' competitors mentioned above are incorrect or do not exist? Please counter objectively, rather than making blanket statements.

BMWs interior material quality choice is more generic, has still the same design theme from the 90s. The lower cars' interiors feel like that of Corolla's. Other than Lexus, no other competitors of ATS have interior better than its. It is the business of ATS interior that gives it points down, and I will not disagree. Get over your 90s perception of GM vehicles.

All those niche segments DON'T SELL. Luxury 'sports cars', converts, the hybrids, even the diesel (cars) are trickle numbers. They're not "saving" any brand, they're just icing. 

I LIKE icing, but let's look objectively to what (little) they add to the bottom line.

• Agree 1

Diesel and Hybrid are needed, if they make more than 20 - 25% of the volume. But before we start building those power-trains, the car needs to be done right. If the foundation sucks, then there is no point to build a Burj Khalifa on it. GM needs to address glaring ATS problems immediately.

GM Also needs to realize that the Baby Boomers are NOT buying Blinging Chrome Auto's that they used to. Most are into their last or 2nd to last auto. Those of us with cash to spend on new auto's are in the 30-50 age range and most of us like luxury that is subdued. I love all my GM auto's including my 2006 Escalade ESV Platinum. If it had more chrome than the door handles, grill, tips on roof rack and running boards along with the very nice 20" chrome wheels, I would have passed.

The thing I hate about the last generation was that ugly big brick of Chrome on the back tail gate.

Yes I understand some love a chromed out blinged out auto, but I believe their are more of us that love monochromatic auto's.

GM should explore doing a Escalade in the Plum Color with BLACK Chrome for wheels, grill and door handles. That is the perfect accent and no more.

Almost posted this in the car spotting thread and did not. Son got a flat on his car, so I dropped by his job with an air tank and followed him to the tire store. Manager had a current gen Regal, dechromed, tasteful aftermarket rims, lowered aninch or two. The definition of subtle. And wickedly cool.

Dfelt, you summed up well what I like in modern automobiles. To me, a MkVII GTI, CTS-v wagon, Boxster, et am is as cool as any car for on the 50s or 60s. I like the modern understated look.

Jaguar has blinged out interiors with a lot of bright work also, at least on the XJ.   The BMW interior may be the same basic look they have used for 15 years but people seem to be buying it still.  The 3-series outsells the ATS like 5-1, so BMW must have something right.   Brand image hurts Cadillac, I just don't think a lot of luxury buyers aspire to own a Cadillac or drive a Cadillac, the old guard it still buying Mercedes, baby boomers like Lexus and the younger people like BMW and Audi.

GM Also needs to realize that the Baby Boomers are NOT buying Blinging Chrome Auto's that they used to. Most are into their last or 2nd to last auto. Those of us with cash to spend on new auto's are in the 30-50 age range and most of us like luxury that is subdued.

• Uhh..., the bottom edge of Baby Boomers is 50- most 50 yr olds are not on their last or 2nd last car. In fact, the average buyer age is 51- BBs are the median bulk of auto buyers; NOT 30 yr olds. We've got a few decades to go before your statement comes closer to the truth WRT Boomers.

• Aren't hybrids/electrics still around only 4% of the US market? Diesel cars certainly are no where near 15%, so again we're some distance from "20-25%".

• What are these new "glaring issues" the ATS has??

The Camry/Corolla interior may be the same basic look they have used for 15 years but people seem to be buying it still.  The Camry outsells the mid-sizers, so Toyota must have something right. 

QFT.

GM Also needs to realize that the Baby Boomers are NOT buying Blinging Chrome Auto's that they used to. Most are into their last or 2nd to last auto. Those of us with cash to spend on new auto's are in the 30-50 age range and most of us like luxury that is subdued.

We already discussed them - power-train, better interior, value quotient, and marketing. The fifth one is image perception, which is out of GM's control.

The biggest issue is that it doesn't say BMW or Mercedes on it.  But Lexus has got some sales increase recently with the IS350 and that has a dated engine and transmission also.  ATS to me feels smaller inside than any of the German sedans, the build quality just doesn't seem there either, reminds me too much of a Chevy when I sit in one.  Powertrains are yesterdays news, they should have an 8 speed transmission, better fuel economy, more power and refinement, etc.  CTS is in the same boat, dated powertrains, weak marketing and I feel like the CTS's 2 biggest competitors come from its own showroom, because the ATS looks similar and is $10k cheaper, the XTS is priced identical to the CTS so 2 cars compete for the same dollar.

An amazing stat is that Audi sold as many cars in China in June as Cadillac sold there in all of 2013.  Audi is on pace for over 500,000 sales in China this year, Cadillac's global volume is less than that.  Cadillac may just be too far behind to ever catch up.

The biggest issue is that it doesn't say BMW or Mercedes on it.  But Lexus has got some sales increase recently with the IS350 and that has a dated engine and transmission also.  ATS to me feels smaller inside than any of the German sedans, the build quality just doesn't seem there either, reminds me too much of a Chevy when I sit in one.  Powertrains are yesterdays news, they should have an 8 speed transmission, better fuel economy, more power and refinement, etc.  CTS is in the same boat, dated powertrains, weak marketing and I feel like the CTS's 2 biggest competitors come from its own showroom, because the ATS looks similar and is $10k cheaper, the XTS is priced identical to the CTS so 2 cars compete for the same dollar.

An amazing stat is that Audi sold as many cars in China in June as Cadillac sold there in all of 2013.  Audi is on pace for over 500,000 sales in China this year, Cadillac's global volume is less than that.  Cadillac may just be too far behind to ever catch up.

Again Buick sells plenty of Volume for China.  And yes, Audi is on fire.  They are staying on message, unlike their VW brethren.

Buick isn't a luxury car though, nor will they ever be.  Buick has had a resurgence but they couldn't replace Cadillac and start selling $50-60,000 sedans.  I think Buick in recent years has been helped by the demise of Mercury, Oldsmobile, Saturn, and Pontiac, and years of lackluster Chrysler Sebrings and basically no Chrysler SUVs the past five years.  VW has also shifted a bit down market.  Buick basically has to compete with Acura, Volvo and Lincoln, not really much going on with those brands.

Edited by smk4565

I'm not seeing the refinement issue with the 2.0t..... the 2.5? sure... but the 2.0T is easily more refined than the Audi's 4-banger and more powerful too.   To the Mercedes, I'd say it is roughly the same (and the ATS interior easily beats the current C-Class or CLA interior anyway).  I don't recall the BMW.

The trouble is, the 2.0T ends up getting compared to the MB-3.5V6 because they are in the same power class (with the Cadillac still beating the Benz in power). A 4-cylinder is simply harder to make as smooth as a V6.   This is likely where the refinement issue creeps up.  The slight hit in refinement you might take is made up for by the improvement in fuel economy... especially since the MB is only available in 4-Matic

Well the C-class is being replaced for 2015, new interior and new engines.   Plus M-B is bringing an inline six in 2017-2018, so another all new engine is just 3 years away.

You can always try to live in the future but you will fail. Right now ATS eats most of the Germans lunch's just accept that Cadillac does have a superior auto both inside and out. Soon it will be replaced by something better from another auto company. The leap frog always happens so just accept that every auto company does have it's day.

If the ATS is so good why is it the 5th best selling car in the class? The car is a dud, the XTS is becoming a dud also, as it gets older on market it will become damaged goods like the DTS.

Now get off your anti-GM kool-aid and come back when you are not high on it. The car is not perfect, but so are its competitors.

• Agree 2

I can't imagine that anyone could seriously pick the A3 as a better car than the ATS.  The ATS handles better, has a better interior, more engine options, lots more power in two of those engine options, and yet has the same entry price as the Jetta Brougham Audi A3.   Audi even makes you spend $324 for an iPod cable plus requires an upgrade to the sound system just to use it.

I don't want to tell people what to buy.. but Audi is doing a fantastic impression of PT Barnum right now.

I can't imagine that anyone could seriously pick the A3 as a better car than the ATS.  The ATS handles better, has a better interior, more engine options, lots more power in two of those engine options, and yet has the same entry price as the Jetta Brougham Audi A3.   Audi even makes you spend $324 for an iPod cable plus requires an upgrade to the sound system just to use it.

I don't want to tell people what to buy.. but Audi is doing a fantastic impression of PT Barnum right now.

Pretty much this...the golf made an awkward transition to a neo-luxury car.

Audi has built a marketing buzz around a very expensive Ala cart style of car purchasing with proprietary technology that is just stupid in today's day and age. You should NOT have to buy a special cable to plug in your ipod or mp3 player. You should not have to upgrade the sound system to just use what is already common place in the market. Crazy Nickel and diming the consumer to death. Seems this would be a short term gain but at long term loss of customer satisfaction equaling long term loss of customers.