Cadillac News: Under Consideration: Cadillac Escalade May Get VSport, V6 Engines

A recent report from Automotive News says Cadillac is thinking about adding more engines choices to the the Escalade. David Schiavone, the Escalade's brand manager says a twin-turbo V6 and turbodiesel V6 are being talked about for the model. The twin-turbo V6 could be marketed as a VSport model.

Not only would the additional engines give Cadillac an edge over the new Lincoln Navigator which trades in a V8 for an EcoBoost V6, it would allow Cadillac to sell the Escalade in other markets.

No mention when a decision would be made on the additional engines.

Source: Automotive News (Subscription Required)

William Maley is a staff writer for Cheers & Gears. He can be reached at[email protected] or you can follow him on twitter at @realmudmonster.

View full article

I can see the Tubro V6 Diesel would be a smart move for the world market and the US. I see no real value gained with the twin turbo V6 gas engine in the Escalade. I also do not see any real fuel gain. Would be smarter to add cyclinder deactivation on the v8 for Highway cruising than to go with the over weight TT V6.

I would imagine there is a substantial amount of tuning variance available in the TTV6. They could make it a low end torque monster or pump up the horsepower a bit in the upper RPM range but push the torque plateau further up in the RPM band.

Have you driven the TTV6 yet Z?  If not, you really should, it is such a fantastic engine. I really wouldn't even mind if Cadillac dropped the V8 in favor of it just to give Cadillac more differentiation.... I doubt they would, but it wouldn't be the end of the world.

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

The TTV6 while a great engineering engine and perfect for the cars, just does not sound or feel right for a big heavy SUV like the Escalade. I will stay with my V8 engines.

Honestly DD, I have been a proponent of Cadillac going full turbo and Escalade should not be an exception to that strategy. I have not driven the TTV6, it is on my to do list.

I just am wondering how is GM planning to have two different lumps giving almost identical outputs in the same vehicle. Ford is doing the Mustang with 3.7 V6 and 2.3 T. Is GM going to do the same, or will it increase output of one of the engine?

The TTV6 while a great engineering engine and perfect for the cars, just does not sound or feel right for a big heavy SUV like the Escalade. I will stay with my V8 engines.

I don't know about that d. I drove the CTS VSport at the MAMA Spring Rally and to my ears, I thought a V8 was under the hood.

I just am wondering how is GM planning to have two different lumps giving almost identical outputs in the same vehicle. Ford is doing the Mustang with 3.7 V6 and 2.3 T. Is GM going to do the same, or will it increase output of one of the engine?

I would hope GM would increase the output of the TT3.6.

The diesel makes the most sense because the GL has one, as does the Grand Cherokee if you want to call that an Escalade competitor.   The diesel could give the Escalade a fuel economy bump that is sorely needs, and for the fleet or limo type Escalade buyers it could be a popular option for operating cost and durability. 

The twin turbo V6 is a tough call because it basically has the same power as the engine they already have.  Unless the fuel economy and refinement are better, then there isn't really a point to offering the TT V6, why have two 420 hp engines.  As for a V-sport model they might as well leave that on the shelf, you can't make a body on frame SUV as big as the Escalade handle half decent, so why put 500+ hp in it, it is pointless really.  And yes the G63 AMG is body on frame with a big engine, but they sell so few globally, and the G-wagen is like SRX size, maybe smaller, it is only about 186 inches long.

Honestly DD, I have been a proponent of Cadillac going full turbo and Escalade should not be an exception to that strategy. I have not driven the TTV6, it is on my to do list.

While peak output may be similar, the delivery of that power isn't at all the same.  That's where the distinction would be.  It's like the 1.8 and 1.4T in the Cruze... output is roughly the same, but the engines drive differently enough to matter.

The diesel makes the most sense because the GL has one, as does the Grand Cherokee if you want to call that an Escalade competitor.   The diesel could give the Escalade a fuel economy bump that is sorely needs, and for the fleet or limo type Escalade buyers it could be a popular option for operating cost and durability. 

The twin turbo V6 is a tough call because it basically has the same power as the engine they already have.  Unless the fuel economy and refinement are better, then there isn't really a point to offering the TT V6, why have two 420 hp engines.  As for a V-sport model they might as well leave that on the shelf, you can't make a body on frame SUV as big as the Escalade handle half decent, so why put 500+ hp in it, it is pointless really.  And yes the G63 AMG is body on frame with a big engine, but they sell so few globally, and the G-wagen is like SRX size, maybe smaller, it is only about 186 inches long.

Because the delivery of that power is quite different on the TTV6.  Agree with you on the diesel though.

A V edition Escalade I would love. Just tighten up the suspension and tune it for throwing around 10K pounds of weight. I know it can be done as I did this with my 94 suburban that runs a 402 with 505hp 551lbs of Torque. It drive amazing. Would love the Escalade to have the Supercharged LT4 V8 :D