Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Absurd used vehicle pricing

I'm back to looking at trucks for myself and the used vehicle pricing is insane.

2011 F-150 Ecoboost Supercab, leather, no nav, no-sunroof, 4x4... 63k miles ... $35,000

2013 Tacoma Double Cab, 2wd, V6, cloth seats, no sun-roof, rollin on 16s... 35k miles, $32,599

2010 Canyon Crew Cab, 64k miles, cloth seats, no sun-roof, $23,077

And these are their "no haggle" prices....

I'll have whatever they're smoking....

It is insane. Civic SI, new 22k, have seen them six years old and beat to death with 100k for 13k. Thinking about another car, it will probably be new. Friend just turned down 8k for an 11 year old Golf TDI wagon with 225k on the clock...new you fan buy it for 25k...nuts!

Some used cars are a lot and I don't get why.  I do think since new cars are so expensive, that used cars are more in demand so the huge drop offs in price aren't seen as much as they used to be.  I shipped a car from Florida to Pennsylvania for $650, it isn't that expensive to buy long distance and ship it, probably cheaper to ship it than to buy a plane ticket then drive 1,000 miles and spend the gas and risk wear and tear on the trip.

How about this truck: $11,995

Used 2010 Chevrolet Silverado and other C/K1500 4x4 Regular Cab
  • Stock No. A247524
  • VIN See VIN AT Car ID AT-164D814D  
Truck

Exterior:
Summit White

Interior:
Dark Titanium
Rating unavailableCITY MPG
Rating unavailableHWY MPG
Flexible Fuel
8 Cylinder
Transmission:
Automatic
Drive Type:
4 wheel drive - rear

• 4 Wheel Drive
  • Warranty
Seller Comments

/// CLEAN CARFAX /// 1 OWNER /// 4WD . Flex Fuel! Your lucky day! Only one other person had the privilege of owning this beautiful 2010 Chevrolet Silverado 1500. So go ahead and feel free to flex your muscle in this truck. It will go from 0-60 in just about the same time it'll take you to catch your breath. Awarded Consumer Guide's rating of a Recommended Large Pickup in 2010. New Car Test Drive said, "...a smooth ride and confident handling while delivering superior capability and power...among the smoothest riding and quietest of all full-size pickups, and can be counted on to get the job done...". This vehicle has a 4.8L V8 engine and an automatic transmission. It includes 4 Wheel Drive, and Warranty.

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?zip=98043&endYear=2014&vehicleStyleCodes=TRUCKS&sortBy=derivedpriceASC&showcaseOwnerId=568534&startYear=2010&searchRadius=10&showcaseListingId=350497653&listingId=374178125&Log=0

Full List of trucks here:

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/Truck/Mountlake+Terrace+WA-98043?endYear=2014&searchRadius=10&showcaseListingId=350497653&showcaseOwnerId=568534&sortBy=derivedpriceASC&startYear=2010&vehicleStyleCodes=TRUCKS&Log=0

2011 Ram with 33K miles for $18,795.00

That 2014 Ram Tradesman is a good deal, but that's a new vehicle even.  Not that I'm against it... it just seems odd that they are asking around the same money as some places are asking for used trucks with lots of miles on them.

• Agree 1

That 2014 Ram Tradesman is a good deal, but that's a new vehicle even.  Not that I'm against it... it just seems odd that they are asking around the same money as some places are asking for used trucks with lots of miles on them.

I cannot figure it out either.  However....since I want my next vehicle to be new...this is making it very easy to rationalize a new car price to my wife.