2015 Chevy Colorado in person!

thedriver

Cool find!! Thanks for the pictures. I'm guessing that is the copper-red color (not the Cardinal Red).

I love the long bed crew cab model and is what I'm going to consider in the GMC Canyon version. Still not a fan of the Chevy Colorado, I like the Canyon's mini-Sierra HD look. GM definitely separated the Colorado's styling from the Silverado while retaining a family look for the Canyon. So far the only Colorado I like is the black LT Extended Cab 4WD model (that I got to sit in at the NYIAS in April :P )

GMTruckGuy74

Nah, it was locked.

BTW, I was doing some comparison research, and the long version is bigger in all dimensions to the last two generations of Dodge Dakota. And that was about the right size for a "mid-size" truck. I am worried that this is just too big.

Odd, it's an LT with Z71 wheels.  Preproduction parts binning, I guess.

Nah, it was locked.

I've seen numerous pictures on the 'Net with incorrect trim/package parts. For example, an All Terrain Canyon with the chrome grille surround (not body-color painted). Parts binning for sure at this point.

BTW, I was doing some comparison research, and the long version is bigger in all dimensions to the last two generations of Dodge Dakota. And that was about the right size for a "mid-size" truck. I am worried that this is just too big.

My fear is that GM is banking on the Canyon/Colorado to replace the 1500 series full-size pickups in the near future. They keep calling the new truck lineup the Small(Canyon/Colorado), Medium (1500) and Large (2500/3500) approach which makes me think that the 1500 goes away for a true 'small' to come along.

Call me crazy, but that's my fear

Hard to tell from these pics, but I agree it looks pretty big. Whats the exterior specs vs. an S-10?

Strange.

Let's do an S10 ZR2 vs Colorado Z71 comparison here, because I want to.

Wheelbase:

ZR2: 122.9

Z71: 127.9

Length:

ZR2: 205.3

Z71: 208.2

Height:

ZR2: 66.4

Z71: 78.9

Width:

ZR2: 67.9

Z71: 73.2

On one hand, the new Colorado almost dwarfs my H3. Yet, on the other, it doesn't seem much larger on paper versus the ZR2.

I can't wrap my head around this f@#king truck.

Edited by black-knight
  • Agree 2

From the measurements the Colroado seems pretty big.  The 80s and 90s S10 pickups were actually small.  It seems like the new Colorado/Canyon are closer to the Silverado in size than they are to the old S10s.  Maybe that will work out well for them, but I think they should have made them a bit smaller so that there is more of a difference, I feel like the Colorado is now like the old Dodge Dakota, more mid-size than small.

Yup, Summer Cruiser.  I guess there is no difference in wheel style between 2 and 4WD... not sure how much added ride height comes with 4WD.

Probably not much. I've noticed that many late model two-wheel drive trucks essentially share the same ride height as their four-wheel drive counterparts. That's especially true of the new Ram and GM pickups. Haven't paid too much attention to Ford, though.

^ the measurements are posted above; length is pretty much the same, but height & width are up.

I agree with summer cruiser; would like to see a regular cab 2WD unit (not that these will ever appeal to me; I'm a full-size truck buyer).

They're not offering a regular cab in the new Colorado are they?

• 2 weeks later...

GM I am glad you have been keeping observant and relevant as always here as you have the correct thinking on where this is going.

This is the deal. The half ton truck faces issues with mass and even being all aluminum it will still have a lot of mass. Lets face it the new F150 is only going to be around 300 pounds lighter than the Chevy steel truck.

This is what is in play. Ford and GM will move to make these smaller but yet large trucks the new direction for the half ton class. They will want to move the buyers to this class to save mass and to improve MPG in the half ton class as it is being hit the hardest for MPG in the future.

The 3/4 an larger will have lower CAFE restrictions unless it changes these trucks can get away with the full size much easier.

How will GM and Ford get people to move to the smaller trucks if the fuel prices stay the same? By charging more for the trucks as time goes on and even more for the V8. Pricing will be the limiting factor of these vehicles as you can buy one but you will pay for it. This also will keep profits up with lower volumes. The half tons now are nearly $50K for a crew 4x4 and will be more in the near future.

I have said for a long time the Ranger will come here in due time and now there are reports out that Ford is working to this now. I just saw on the web the other day. The truck was built to NA spec and only Ford will not to bring it here has kept it out.

I also expect a smaller truck to appear at GM at some point.

Again as I said long ago the truck market will fundamentally change in radical ways by the time 2025 rolls around. To be honest the entire industry will see major changes.

I was in a Colorado in July and it was very nice. No more old cheap crappy interiors like the last model and  even a more solid full size feel to the doors and tailgate. Pricing is in the Nox and Terrain range as I expected. To be honest it feel like my Terrain behind the wheel in looking out.

The one I was in had a Bose sound system and the rear seat was good for the size.

The path of the entire industry will have to change as no one will be able to keep up with the government regulations as they are now and lets face it how many more cylinders can GM deactivate on the V8?

I know some hate to hear this but it is time to face reality. Major changes are coming. 

The next vehicle that will take a hit is the 4 door sedan as the CUV market is growing and growing fast. GM is happy the Encore is doing well and will capitalize on this segment. People are showing interest in a small CUV over smaller cars that can not hold a box of any height do to small openings on small cars.

The way I see it this truck and the next gen Nox and Terrain have a lot riding on them. The Nox and Terrain alone account for nearly 300,000 sales even 5 years in on the last design. Do it right and they can account for nearly a half million vehicles with good profits.

• 3 weeks later...

OK, I am building my Colorado to see what it would come in as and I am shocked by one thing, it offers Rear Wheel Liners to keep  the bed clean and reduce noise and dirt.

I know the Chevy Luv trucks of the 70's did not have wheel liners but I remember seeing them on all trucks after that. Is GM going backwards in exposing the metal bed to noise rock chips and rust out just to save a couple bucks? $165 is a small price to pay but at the same time this seems stupid to not have them on the trucks by default!

I love the premium Green color, but am shocked by some of the nickle and dime items that GM is charging for that I feel should be standard on a truck in the 21st century.

• 4 weeks later...

Last night I got to test drive a brand new 2015 Chevrolet Colorado Crew Cab Long Bed LT 4WD in Rainforest Green Metallic with Jet Black/Dark Ash Leather interior. This truck was very well equipped; LT Luxury & Convenience packages, G80 locking rear differential, Nav Radio w/ Bose speakers, Safety Package, All Weather Floor Mat, and Trailering Package.

It was about a 15-20 minute test drive on local highways (55 MPH limit) and some downtown/Main Street areas. I must say I was very impressed with the ride, handling and steering feel of the Colorado. The roads were a mix of new asphalt and broken pavement. The Colorado provided a much smoother ride over these same streets than my Envoy and the ride was very reminiscent of the 2014 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab rental I had in June. The seats felt very comfortable and I had plenty of headroom & legroom (I'm 5'9" and ~240 lbs). My 4 y-o daughter was the only back seat occupant but she had plenty of leg room behind my seat. I had pushed it up to 64 MPH without really knowing I was going that fast and felt the 3.6L V6 engine was powerful enough for my motivating needs.

All in all, I was very excited to finally see, sit in, and drive one of the General's new mid-size pickup trucks. I really liked the look of the LT trimmed Colorado with the chrome (grille, door handles, rear bumper), the look of the LT-specific 17" rims and of course my favorite new color (dark green metallic). If I wasn't such a 'GMC Truck' guy I may have pursued this truck more ;-)