Commentary: Chevy vs Buick vs Cadillac vs GMC

First and foremost I'm no writer. I put this together from random thoughts and it is simple, and limited to essentially the Epsilon vehicles with a little Alpha and Omega thrown in, but could be expanded to include all of GM concerning it's divisions

Chevy vs Buick vs Cadillac vs the Industry

Many people lambast Chevy for the Malibu and SS sharing some many design cues, but I maintain that both cars are variably handsome, and in the SS’s case, Chevy/Holden’s take on what a mature mainstream sedan should look like, not succumbing to the body-cladding of past Pontiacs, or racing stripes and trick painted surfaces of the Dodge brand, but presenting to the American buyer a look of maturity, handsome and sleeperish that pushes what is normally reserved for a BMW; Performance from such a toned down look. Yes I’m calling the Chevy SS, the real American BMW 5series. Nope, I didn’t forget about the magnificent CTS. That car is, IMO, a whole nother level. It easily usurps the BMW 5series as the performance king in Luxury sedans, and does it with more splendor than the E-Class.

For Chevy, Buick and Cadillac cars, I think the true difference in the first two, leading up to the latter, should be about Styling, engines, and a pure adhesion to the a spectra that sets them each apart. GM has a conundrum on its hand every time it designs and releases a new vehicle from either division. That is how do you dumb down the Chevy to make the Buick or Cadillac seem more grandiose when even the cheapest iteration is literally on par with what other brands, such as BMW or Audi are putting out as premium. The Denali or even Tahoe LTZ, not Escalade, vs Range Rover is a great example, but I am going stick to cars.

An objective person, looking at the performance credentials of the Chevy SS, the interior refinement of the SS, the NVH of the SS versus a BMW 5series, would actually come away from a blind folded ride possibly thinking the SS is the more expensive and better engineered vehicle of the two. Who am I kidding, they might actually do the same in a blind-folded ride of a CTS. The SS is really that good. So is the Impala versus an Benz E350. As is the Regal vs a Lexus IS250 or ES350 (sorry haters). It does remind me of Hyundai a bit, with their Genesis and Equus. While they are certainly down on some areas of fit and finish versus an S-Class (vs Equus) for the scaled difference in asking price, the worth of S-Class seriously comes into question. 

The challenge is differentiation at GM. I think it should be simplified. We know that Reuss wants GM platforms to dwindle in the next two years. The continuation of Zeta is ambiguous with the Alpha platform able to stretch to Commodore size, and Omega just around the corner, which should have been engineered to have a wheel base 125inchs to 151, just in case a Pullman competitor is in the works. Taken further though, the Omega should be able to start when the Alpha ends. Currently the CTS, being 114.60 inches is the longest available WB from Alpha. Can that be stretched to go to 118? Can the Omega be shrunk to 119? 

Back to the differentiation. How about just sticking to drive-trains and a meeting of “ends?” 

I believe that GM could take it’s current models and have a very in tune line-up without actually stepping on each division’s toes just by focusing on drive-trains, styling, and of course appropriate per dollar interior/exterior materials and such. While each division doesn’t necessarily need to have a version of each other’s vehicles, it does stand to reason that each division should be able to cover a rising hierarchy within a size category. Ford instance, the Regal vs the Malibu vs the CTS. All are considered Mid-Sizers. For the sake of argument I’d like to use a stair-step approach concerning Cadillac where as the ATS is the equivalent of the Regal. I propose that the Regal would move to Alpha. The Epsilon Platform remaining at Chevy for the Malibu and Buick for the Lacrosse, both being of similar size. This would mean more to the Malibu than the Lacrosse. The Malibu would go back to it’s 112 Wheel Base, but could still stay at 192 and the Lacrosse remains at 197 in exterior length. The Super-Epsilon goes to the Impala, Park Ave, and XTS covering all three brands. 

Here’s what spawned all of this nerd speak. Why is it that GM feels the need to completely hoard a given tech for a particular division, while another suffers?

The ATS vs Regal situation even now, with Regal on Epsilon, GM could certainly put a V6 under the hood and give the car a little more power. I would take them both further, with very little investment as the technologies are existing already at GM, offering:

ATS: 2.0L 270HP, 3.6L 320HP, TT3.6L 380HP, and 6.2L 460HP

Regal: 2.5L 200hp, 2.0Lturbo 260hp, 3.6L 305HP (GS), TT3.6L 370HP (w AWD GNX)

Impala vs Lacrosse vs XTS

I’d keep these as they are now, but certainly ask why no AWD available in the Impala? How about making the TT3.6L available in all divisions but simply detune it based on the brand?  I think that there is overlap between the TTV6 and the LT1 that simply doesn't have to be. I'd run the TTv6 all the way from 360HP to 450HP, then default to the LT1 in everything I need above that. That engine is known to be under-rated. Meaning it it certainly pumping out more than 460HP. 

AWD Impala SS 3.6LTT 370HP

AWD Park Ave Super 3.6LTT 390HP

AWD XTS-VSport 3.6LTT 410HP

I believe that Omega should be the one limited platform at GM. I think that it should not be carried over to any other division and should be the basis of at least 4 Cadillac models such as the Sedan, a grand Coupe, a Crossover, and a possible large sports car. That being said, I do think that the Corvette Y-Body needs to be sent over to Cadillac for an immediate XLR redo. Alpha should be distributed for a replacement for the Saturn and Solstice, with one going to Buick as a 2+2 Sport Riviera and the other going to Cadillac as a viable Z4 competitor. Yes I’m suggesting that Cadillac would have 3 Sports cars, with one of them, based off Omega, being a Supercar.

I think that is where all of the positive press of the VSport comes in, leading up to the VSeries. Vsport should be incorporated into every damn Cadillac. Vseries limited to the CTS, ATS, Omega, and an Alpha based SUV and sports car. The SRX could handle the 3.6LTT right now.

I was set on cars and didn't want to touch on GMC, but I why exclude them? GMC should absolutely move up, but they should not leave where they are either. How do they accomplish this? Be the "Premium Jeep." The Acadia already does this versus the Grand Cherokee. Let's face it, even though the GC is better off-road, it sees equal time on black road as the Acadia (Escalade meet Range Rover). Get in either and you will be met with a damn nice cabin. GMC needs to expand that. Reintro Hummer. Tap the GM's Global box, and exclusively see the Trailblazer as the new Jimmy. Trims up to an "Alpha" model shared with the Sierra, and GMC H3. All get LT1s under the hood. All put a whoopin on Jeep SRT.

I think the limitation for the TT3.6 in the Epsilon cars is one of transmission limitations and exhaust routing.

Possibly, but the extra power in the Regal or Impala would still make two stellar cars even more magnificent. After driving the '14 Regal GS recently, ballz out... that car handles with anything I can think of at Audi save the R8. More power, especially another 100, and U would have a car that easily runs down S4s

I think the limitation for the TT3.6 in the Epsilon cars is one of transmission limitations and exhaust routing.

Possibly, but the extra power in the Regal or Impala would still make two stellar cars even more magnificent. After driving the '14 Regal GS recently, ballz out... that car handles with anything I can think of at Audi save the R8. More power, especially another 100, and U would have a car that easily runs down S4s

One of the nice things about the Regal is its superb balance.  I think putting the V6 up front would ruin that.  We already know that the 2.0T can pump out 360hp... so why not let it?

One of the nice things about the Regal is its superb balance.  I think putting the V6 up front would ruin that.  We already know that the 2.0T can pump out 360hp... so why not let it?

I can dig it. If they were to boost it (The LTG)  to that degree then who would I be to argue.   :thumbsup: