50 Grand for ATS Coupe with 6 banger

avant1963

A loaded ATS is priced like a BMW or Mercedes but it isn't as good as those 2. Nor does the badge command the price. I think the ATS interior could be better, for sure roomier, and the V6 has no torque. A new engine and transmission would help. I don't think they should cut the price but I think they need to put more into the car.

I personally love the ATS coupe, with its classic proportions and non-trendy look.  The CTS coupe was just too severe and wedgy, with like zero visibility out the rear.  I just built an Adriatic Blue V6 Performance with the red interior and the forged wheels, all weather mats and trunk mat.  $52k.  Dark blue with red interior seems like an old-school Naval color scheme.  Very nice.

A loaded ATS is priced like a BMW or Mercedes but it isn't as good as those 2. Nor does the badge command the price. I think the ATS interior could be better, for sure roomier, and the V6 has no torque. A new engine and transmission would help. I don't think they should cut the price but I think they need to put more into the car.

I will totally disagree with you, I wished I had taken a picture and if possible when the coworker gets in get one. He bought a E series MB and talks like you how superior they are and yet the fit and finish is a joke. The space between the drivers door and dash is a good 1/2 inch wide compared to the passenger side and dash which is about a 1/4 inch wide at most. You can clearly see that spacing is off, plenty of OK material from plastic to leather but I would not say it is superior or even better than the CTS or ATS.

You have me looking more and more to compare and the more I look the More I question your judgement as BMW and MB have select usually the M series or AMG series where you find a very nice auto but the rest of the line up is just OK and competitive. Even their SUV/CUVs leave a lot to be questioned about.

Sounds like U walked into a beam and bumped your head. Tell me please one thing outside of the tired.. and boring.. and over used backseat BS that U Foreign car lovers like to site about the ATS that actually is more accommodating to the DRIVER/Front Passenger than the the 3 series which decided to get bigger and clumsier just to accommodate the rear passengers over the driver.

I drove the ATS Coupe and 4-series the same day. The differences are largely academic and the only negative I see on the ATS is the fairly plain instrument panel, but the 3/4ths-Series isn't going to be winning any design innovation awards either. The ATS trumps the 4-series in "added-lightness" and feels more nimble in the corners even though the curb weights are about the same.   I also prefer the steering feel in the ATS.

I drove both the C300 and C400 as well.... fantastic cars, but they've grown in size quite a bit to where they feel 98% of the last CTS in size and don't feel at all sporting.  That isn't a bad thing, but when the goal in this segment is "sporting feel", the C-Class doesn't fit that at all.  On a long trip, I would prefer the C-Class over the ATS by a hair.... but if I am looking for spirited driving, I'll stick with the MRC in the ATS.

The 3-series is the go to car for many, reputation alone will get it a ton of sales. The new C-class looks great, I have not driven one, I have driven the last 2 generations. The C400 is only 2 inches longer and 60 lbs heavier than a V6 ATS, still pretty close but Mercedes feel heavier and bigger than they are. The solidness and quietness I think translate to people thinking it is heavier than it is, people think my car is bigger and heavier than it is.

The C-Class feels like a baby S-Class in many ways... and "weight and inertia" is one of them.  Again, not saying that is a bad thing, but those looking at sporting cars will not likely be satisfied.   I happen to like the S-Class feel, so the C-Class appeals to me there.

The ATS is still the nimblest dancer of these three.

Yes the 3-series sells on reputation alone... but that doesn't mean it is really the best car with it's stale interior design, "will they ever think of something new?" exterior, and huge weight gain/handling feel loss over older years.   The Corolla has changed more in 25 years than the 3-series has.

I think unless the ATS gets 100 mpg, does 0-60 in under 5 seconds and comes with a 10 year unlimited mile bumper to bumper warranty with free maintenance for 10 years, the 3-series will still outsell it, no matter how bad steering feel might get or even if the interior hasn't changed in 10 years.  3-series buyers love the 3-series, they aren't leaving.  3-series sales have actually increased since the ATS and updated Lexus IS went on sale.

Mercedes is making a smart play to not copy the 3-series and make the C-class a luxury car.  They build luxury cars, that is their strength.