Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

One Year Review of my 2014 Chevy Impala LTZ 3.6L

I've been driving this magnificent "de-contented" XTS for 1 year and 3 months now after relinquishing an equally powered LLT 3.6L 2011 Camaro for a need of more room.

This car is fantastic. In taking the XTS and Lacrosse and giving Chevy a version GM created essentially a Blue Collar worker who just won the Lottery. I mean that. The Drivability of this car is pretty fantastic.

As mentioned before I came from a smaller, RWD coupe that handled damn nice and could seriously get up and go for a V6 weighing almost 3800lbs in the Camaro. That car was clocked in at about 5.6secs on a good day. Catch it in the right shift and U could take down V8 powered Chargers. No $h!. My Impala is fully loaded with everything except the 20 Inch wheels. I opted for the 245/45/19s. In fact this is the gist:

Blue Ray Metallic
Mojave/Black Accents
3.6L

Comfort And Convenience Package
Provides an extra measure of premium refinement , including:
Ventilated driver and front passenger seats
Heated steering wheel
Power tilt and telescoping steering column
Memory settings for the driver seat, outside mirrors and steering wheel
Universal Home Remote
Auto-dimming inside rearview mirror
Outside heated power-adjustable mirrors with turn signal indicators, ground illumination and driver-side auto-dimming feature
Premium carpeted front and rear floor mats
Carpeted trunk mat
power, tilt-sliding sunroof with additional skylight fixed glass and power sunshade.
Chevrolet MyLink® Radio With Navigation, AM/FM Stereo And CD
Heated and Cooled Seats
Heated Steering Wheel

Eff It... The only thing I didn't get was 20inch wheels, Bose® premium surround sound 11-speaker system and Adaptive Cruise

I compared the XTS to the Impala directly and felt that they were different vehicles bottom line.. and one ride in either one will see what I'm saying.

The Cadillac has a more sporty feel about it ironically. It handles better.. it even feels faster off the cuff.. The materials inside the cabin are evidently better.. and by that I mean the Impala has the material quality that my CTS has.. which was born in 2008 in reality (despite being a 2012).. while the XTS takes it to the next level. Essentially it is easy to see that GM spent good money on the Impala... and even more on the Cadillac.. which is obvious, and redundant for me to say.

I have to say that the Impala comes off as more of a surprise to most people who see it. Examples are:
"WOW.. that's the new Impala??? Damn!!! NOTHING like the last one.. NOTHING like it at"

Its weird. A year later I'm still getting this and people in much more expensive cars constantly are in Ahhh of what Chevy/GM did with this vehicle. I had a chick in her 30s.. while I was at the grocery store getting ready to take stuff outta my cart and put in the trunk actually say to me;

"Do U mind if I see if I can fit in that trunk???"

I allowed her. She did. I got her phone number and we had drinks and stuff True Story. :gitfunky:

OK..

versus The XTS:

"Nice.. very nice.. Of course.. tho.. Its a Cadillac. truly a beautiful vehicle."

Vehicle noises. Would U believe that the Impala's engine note is more subdued than the XTS's. I $h! U not... The Impala is seemingly quieter at WOT. The Impala is supposedly faster (0-60 6.0 (Impala) vs 0-60 6.1 (XTS)but that's negligible. The XTS is technically heavier so I'll give it a pass. The truth is I think that now that the Impala is broken in it will crack the 5.7sec number.

It may be even faster as of YESTERDAY (11/05/14) because I decided to take her up to the local garage and swop the mufflers I had on my Camaro RS 3.6L and put them on the Impala. Yes.. when I traded in my Camaro I made them take the flowmaster Super 44s off and put the OE ones back on as part of the deal. Yesterday I had some down time and decided to show up to the garage with Flowmasters in truck and have them do a swap.

Sound: They gave it a throatier sound definitely.. but not loud like the Camaro was. WHY??? Well because on the Impala and many other GM products they put a Resonator on that acts as a primary muffler. This buffs out even more sound, but like the mufflers create more back pressure

Power Increase:

This is seat of the pants obviously, but there is noticeable.. and I mean noticeable pull with the Flow Masters on the car. Seriously. The sound is throatier and the set-up makes the car actually feel more like a V8. The pull actually reminds me of the pull my '05 Cadillac STS 4.6L had. That car was rated at 320HP and 315lbs of torque. That car was 200lbs heavier.

The thing is that tomorrow I told them I'd be back up to get the Resonator taken off and replaced with a straight pipe. The sound should be more solid and the back pressure coming from the resonator will be gone.

Fuel economy. I average about 23MPG combined with about 70% Stop and go in the City areas. On the road/highway I am hitting 28-32MPG regularly and keep in mind I'm a heavy foot. Fill Up around here is about $54 at the moment with gas at $2.89 and a 18.5 gallon tank.

Aline My 2014 Chevy Impala LTZ 3.6L  and  'Nita my and my Dad's 66 Chevy Impala SS 396BB

2uhn5go.jpg

wasfna.jpg

Lovely my 2005 STS 4.6L

IMGP0540.jpg

Taja. My 2011 Chevy Camaro RS, Gone but never 4Gotten

IMGP0900.jpg

Edited by Cmicasa the Great

This should have been the Malibu. Yup I said it. IMO the actual Impala should have been the RWD SS, but with this styling. Yeah I would have probably made this car about 7 inches smaller (making it 194 inches long) and called it Malibu. The styling would exactly the same and the true difference would have been the size and wheels being driven.  This would have given it the size of the Accord but with a slight bit more room. The actual Impala would have been the SS, killing the need for the Caprice as well, capable of pulling double duty as a law enforcement and consumer car. Basically what I'm getting at is that Chevy has two too many cars in the upper size category. 

Na, I think it is too much car to be the Malibu. This should have been a Caprice maybe with the SS getting the Impala name.

I have to disagree. The Impala really is a larger Malibu. They are almost identical in every way except price and size. $h!.. They should have just called one Malibu and the other Malibu-L combined the sales and been done with it. Either way I have been told that the SS and Impala may be merging in a few years anyway with the latter name being put on a RWD/AWD setup. Time will tell. Malibu cannot have Accord type sales if it has to share customers divided by 3 different cars. If a customer wants a large, mid-sized or coupe car at Honda (331K YTD).. They buy an Accord. If they want the same from Chevy they have a choice between the Impala or SS(large), Malibu (mid), Camaro (Coupe) (353K YTD) I didn't even include SS's almost 3K sales. 

Sweet write up, thanks for sharing! :metal:

Do my best. Change of Resonator will be tomorrow with before (just Flowmasters) and after (with Flowmasters and Resonator removed) Youtube video

I think the Impala is one of GM's best cars right now.  It is quite roomy and I thought the interior was pretty goof for the price, and better than the competition in that segment.  The back end looks dull, and almost Hyundai like, but I think the front end of the Impala looks really good.  Never drove an Impala, only sat it them at the auto show.

Na, I think it is too much car to be the Malibu. This should have been a Caprice maybe with the SS getting the Impala name.

I have to disagree. The Impala really is a larger Malibu. They are almost identical in every way except price and size. $h!.. They should have just called one Malibu and the other Malibu-L combined the sales and been done with it. Either way I have been told that the SS and Impala may be merging in a few years anyway with the latter name being put on a RWD/AWD setup. Time will tell. Malibu cannot have Accord type sales if it has to share customers divided by 3 different cars. If a customer wants a large, mid-sized or coupe car at Honda (331K YTD).. They buy an Accord. If they want the same from Chevy they have a choice between the Impala or SS(large), Malibu (mid), Camaro (Coupe) (353K YTD) I didn't even include SS's almost 3K sales. 

Do my best. Change of Resonator will be tomorrow with before (just Flowmasters) and after (with Flowmasters and Resonator removed) Youtube video

COOL, Look forward to the video so we can hear your awesome ride!

Nice Hummer by the way! I love them! :D

COOL, Look forward to the video so we can hear your awesome ride!

Nice Hummer by the way! I love them! :D

Some unexpected business came up and I had to move my appointment til tomorrow. The Hummer is my brothers. The House where the H2 is parked is his too. I only have the two houses where the Camaro is depicted and the other where my Stingray and CTS-V were depicted 

I'll thank you too for providing this write-up. It's no secret that I am considering my next vehicle at this time and though I'm heavily leaning towards a pickup truck the Chevrolet Impala LTZ is the one car that made the list. I have checked them out at a local dealer but have yet to go for an actual test drive. The styling, options & features, and the great reviews on these cars are what caught my interest. I'd love to consider an SS Sedan but they're at least $6K higher than where I need to be price-wise. I haven't ruled out the Impala yet though it does seem natural for me to go for a new GMC Sierra or Canyon.

I'll thank you too for providing this write-up. It's no secret that I am considering my next vehicle at this time and though I'm heavily leaning towards a pickup truck the Chevrolet Impala LTZ is the one car that made the list. I have checked them out at a local dealer but have yet to go for an actual test drive. The styling, options & features, and the great reviews on these cars are what caught my interest. I'd love to consider an SS Sedan but they're at least $6K higher than where I need to be price-wise. I haven't ruled out the Impala yet though it does seem natural for me to go for a new GMC Sierra or Canyon.

First I guess its obvious that I love my Impala. The looks, amenities, and size make it a viable competitor to many cars priced almost double such as the RLX and even to a degree the XTS and LS460.. but the performance of the SS, along with its size, and interior amenities including fit and finish make it viable competitor to vehicles like the CTS-VS, 550, and S6. The only thing it lacks is the IN YO FACE styling of the Impala.. which pretty much makes it more like a less expensive 550 or A6. If it had the Impala's styling it would then rival the CTS-VS

After driving the XTS, La Crosse and Impala last year.. I found myself very chuffed with the Impala. It was an amazing transformation from something that was abundant on rental fleets to something I consider being one the best vehicles GM has. I'm glad to hear you are liking your Impala.

Additionally (and shameless plug), a review of the 2014 Chevrolet Impala LTZ

• 2 weeks later...

This is definitely encouraging to hear- You've done yours up exactly how I would do mine - Black/Navy/Gray with the Mojave interior.

It's encouraging to see that it does ride softer than the XTS.  While I had the pleasure of driving an XTS for ten days last month in Arizona, I haven't driven the new Impala yet although I've been renting premiums on my trips in hopes of stumbling accross one.  I did find the XTS to be a bit on the stiff side for what it was, although not necessarily a deal breaker from my perspective. 

What I am genuinely concerned about (and could convince me to wait and look at something with the newer generation of infotainment, like the NG LaCrosse) is the degree to which the lack of responsiveness and processing power that is inerent in CUE carries through to the myLink system in the Impala.  While they've remedied the lack of knobs and buttons, the software underneath seems like it might be more or less the same as CUE and I have to tell you, I had all sorts of lag and slow response in that XTS while I had it.

The Impala LTZ V6 is on my short list to replace my current '07 Impala.  I'm just waiting for them to show the next-gen LaCrosse that's been running around in camo of late to see if I might prefer a mid-trim example of one of those versus the loaded Impala.

Let me be clear.. if given a choice, for a daily driver between the XTS and the Impala.. the Cadillac would win every time. As it is I am bound by agreement with my accounting to spend no more than $40K on a car for daily use. Altho I own the company certain things were put in place so that spending would not get out of control in certain situations. That being said.. the Impala is an awesome car.. but it is not the XTS. I mean despite every one trying to relate the two, the XTS on badge alone elicits helluva lot more respect in terms  of wow factor. It is one of the reason why I often shake my head when people try to belittle it versus one of the German or sole Japanese Flagships. When comparing, specifically the V-Sport, I found that the XTS absolutely blew the LS460 and 740i away in terms of every single luxo buying aspect. 

I CHALLENGE ANYONE TO GET IN A COMPETITIVE JOUST WITH AN XTS_VSPORT WHILE DRIVING AN LS460. U will drive away with your RWD Japanese tail between your legs BET.

We'll the Impala 2LTZ is still in the mix of vehicles I'm considering. The good thing is I want to lease my next vehicle so that is helping me deal with not getting a new GMC if I were to go with a car. I really 'want' a Chevrolet SS Sedan, but even with the Thanksgiving holiday promotions (which the SS doesn't qualify for anyway) I'm about $6k over what I want to spend. I'm still head over heels for a new Canyon, but there are some things I'm not thrilled about that may change in the near future (i.e. Rims, tires, lack of some options [Homelink, heated steering wheel], etc.).

Vehicles in contention:

1. 2015 GMC Canyon SLT Crew Cab Long Bed 4WD

2. 2015 Chevrolet Impala (2)LTZ

3. 2015 GMC Terrain SLT-2 AWD

4. 2015 Buick Encore Leather Package AWD (for the wife, if I forgo getting a new vehicle for myself this round)

Out-of-Price Range Vehicles:

5. 2014 Chevrolet SS Sedan

6. 2015 GMC Sierra 1500 SLT Crew Cab Standard Bed Z71 4WD

7. 2015 GMC Acadia SLT-2 AWD

We'll the Impala 2LTZ is still in the mix of vehicles I'm considering. The good thing is I want to lease my next vehicle so that is helping me deal with not getting a new GMC if I were to go with a car. I really 'want' a Chevrolet SS Sedan, but even with the Thanksgiving holiday promotions (which the SS doesn't qualify for anyway) I'm about $6k over what I want to spend. I'm still head over heels for a new Canyon, but there are some things I'm not thrilled about that may change in the near future (i.e. Rims, tires, lack of some options [Homelink, heated steering wheel], etc.).

Vehicles in contention:

1. 2015 GMC Canyon SLT Crew Cab Long Bed 4WD

2. 2015 Chevrolet Impala (2)LTZ

3. 2015 GMC Terrain SLT-2 AWD

4. 2015 Buick Encore Leather Package AWD (for the wife, if I forgo getting a new vehicle for myself this round)

Out-of-Price Range Vehicles:

5. 2014 Chevrolet SS Sedan

6. 2015 GMC Sierra 1500 SLT Crew Cab Standard Bed Z71 4WD

7. 2015 GMC Acadia SLT-2 AWD

Love your lists.. That being said.. its hard to say between the Impala and the Canyon as they kinda have two different purposes. If I had to choose between the Impala and the SS.. the SS would win every time IF it wasn't gonna be a daily driver. That 415HP (which would be tuned in a hot second to min. 440HP) would get me in trouble daily. Hell my Impala, even with only 305HP (I said only to 305HP when my back in the day my C4 Corvette LT1 stock was only 300.. craaaazy) sees triple digits daily. Its simply hard not to as the engine goes up the RPM so smooth. That 0-60 in 6secs that C&D got was on a new unbroken in car. I would easily say U could take down a G37 once U put some miles on her.

I did some dealer lot shopping the other night, looked at a '15 Red Rock Metallic Impala LTZ and two '15 Canyon SLT long bed 4wd (Cyber Gray & Summit White). I was diggin' those two Canyons!! Seeing a ton of GMC Terrains everywhere and while I like them is feel they're a consolation prize to the Canyon. Though a 2 year lease might entice me that way I could wait to see what happens with the Canyon during that time.

At this point not sure what I'm doing. New Car show season starts in January (Baltimore I think has an early January show) so maybe I'll wait until I can sit in and check over a bunch of vehicles at one time. Wife is favoring the Encore option - that's what she wants! :-P But there's no garuntee that we'd be able to swing two payments with an Encore and Terrain/Canyon/Impala.

• 4 weeks later...

A Chevy dealer near my work has received into inventory the perfect 2015 Impala 2LTZ for me - Blue Velvet Metallic exterior, Black/Gray Leather Interior, standard 19" rims, no sunroof but all the other options I want. I'm still split 50/50 between leasing an Impala and leasing a Canyon. I know if I were to go with the Impala I will miss having a GMC in my driveway. Though if I go with the Canyon I will miss many of the upscale features/options of the Impala LTZ. So torn!!

I love the Impala and think it is one of the best really unknown cars in the GM line up. I really wish they would do a little more marketing with it.

It is not my kind of car and not on my short list but one I would highly recommend.

My pondering has where this model will go in the near future. With a new Buick coming, the XTS in question, possible Alpha SS gone and Oshawa could be closing what are their plans here on this model?

The only limitation on this car as to what it may get is limited only to price as you can not add some things to price it out of the segment.

• 4 weeks later...

holy cow! that is a gorgeous ride!  I wouldn't loose too much sleep over the BOSE system. Despite their being really solid quality stereos, the only way you're ever going to notice a side-by-side difference in a BOSE system vs. any stock system is if you're running a sub, blasting at above 6 volume, or listening to a ridiculously high quality .WAV file. Chances are pretty good that mp3 through a bose and mp3 through a stock will prove to be a similar listening experience.