eAssist on Buicks

regfootball

I know we've had a LaCrosse eAssist reviewed before but does anyone have experience with an eAssist Regal? Sounds whack but there are some 2014's on the used market here for about 18,5 and about 15k miles on them. Wonder about real mpg and if any reliability issues. Might be an option for a daily driver for me that I did not consider before. Otherwise thinking about Passat 1.8, Malibu, fusion etc as well as some smaller cars. Regal would be a huge upgrade.

They're quiet. No more hustle then a standard 2.4 liter once you get rolling, but you can feel a little more kick in the 0-25mph range. The electric boost gives them that low end torque feel of a turbo or grunty V6... but it goes away as the rpms increase.

forget about trunk space. 

There is a glut of used 14's on the market for cheap. Was it possible there were some fleet only regals without turbo OR eAssist?

For the pricing I could live with less go juice for 30mpg everyday. That would be a luxurious 'econocar' alternative at that price. Cobalt only gets 27-28 in winter anyways.

Edited by regfootball

About a month ago, Blue Knob had half a dozen 14 Regals with the 2.0T for right around S20k. One of them was even $18.9k, I believe. Seemed like a great deal, though Blue Knob mostly deals with ex-rentals and such. 

Any AWDs?

About a month ago, Blue Knob had half a dozen 14 Regals with the 2.0T for right around S20k. One of them was even $18.9k, I believe. Seemed like a great deal, though Blue Knob mostly deals with ex-rentals and such. 

Any AWDs?

I think they were all FWD. Doing a quick search on Cars.com, I'm seeing a few in the same price range. I did notice that all the 2.0T are noted as "Turbo/e-assist", though. I thought it was the other way around...?

Edit: Looking around at Buick's website, with the e-assist as an option, Cars.com must just lump the option with that trim level because those are definitely the 2.0T and not e-assist. 

2014 Buick Regal $19,461 Cars.com

2014 Buick Regal $19,588 Cars.com

2014 Buick Regal $19,990 Cars.com

Any AWDs?

I think they were all FWD. Doing a quick search on Cars.com, I'm seeing a few in the same price range. I did notice that all the 2.0T are noted as "Turbo/e-assist", though. I thought it was the other way around...?

Edit: Looking around at Buick's website, with the e-assist as an option, Cars.com must just lump the option with that trim level because those are definitely the 2.0T and not e-assist. 

Yeah, I'm wondering if that's what Reg was seeing.  The eAssist Regals are exceedingly rare. You almost have to factory order one if you want one. 

I have seen 2011 Regals for around $13,000 before, but those would be the base 2.4.  I just looked on auto trader and there are 2012 certified regals with low miles for $16-17k.   Most GM sedans have poor resale value, especially ones like the Malibu, Regal and Impala that have higher fleet rates.  A CXL or premium trim Regal for mid teens is a pretty good deal.  Lincoln MKZ's are great used car deals too, they lose like 50% of their value in 3 years.

The day I was looking last week, they had one AWD turbo that was listed as an early least return for 21k and 14k miles. Next day it was gone.

My guess is the Buick dealers wouldn't sell or couldn't sell the eAssist models so Buick ate it, fleeted them and is talking a loss and giving dealers a chance to sell them used. Not sure how Buick and gm can take one year old cars like that and watch them lose 40%....in the old days it was expected but the regal is a better car than that. Me and my dad are speculating when the bottom will fall out of Cruze diesel pricing.

current debate in my head is 'do you give up all wheel drive'?  Chrysler van. vs. Traverse and Explorer.  The extra cost of AWD vehicle and less space in the SUV's are making a tough decision.  And after the debacle replacing 4 tires due to one blowout in the T-rex with AWD, makes me wonder just how much more expense and hassle is worth it.  From a market perspective, the Regal gaining the AWD option is an Ace in the hole.  Buick = AWD is a nice differentiator from Chevy.

• 1 month later...

it became apparent to me that looking into some of this glut of 2014's.....

I thought on the retail side, the regular 2.4 without eAssist was not available in 2014.

However, it seems like maybe some of these vehicles may have been fleet cars or something and they are non turbo and non eAssist.  I have an email in to one of the dealers that is listing the 2.4 to ask if it has eAssist.

My understanding is the eAssist cars have different wheels, and from what i see, almost none of these cars I am looking at have the eAssist wheels but do apparently have the 2.4 and strangely enough they don't have epa MPG ratings listed.

Did Buick build a bunch of Regals for fleet with just the 2.4?

Any AWDs?

Yeah, I'm wondering if that's what Reg was seeing.  The eAssist Regals are exceedingly rare. You almost have to factory order one if you want one. 

this is starting to add up and make sense now.

• 1 month later...

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/bymodel/2014_Buick_Regal.shtml

the epa ratings of the 2.4 never were that good.  Not even better than the turbo really.  Odd that the Equinox with the same motor would have better epa mpg.

Gearing.

In the Regal it is geared to feel peppy.

In the Equinox it is geared to not feel slower than a CR-V