Chevrolet News:Corvette Stingray Design To Influence Future Models

The current Chevrolet Corvette Stingray's design cues will used on upcoming Chevrolet models. Automotive News had the chance to speak with GM's vice president of global design, Ed Welburn who said designers are hard at work trying to infuse the Corvette Stingray's DNA into newer Chevrolet models.

"As Malibu and Cruze and Volt come to market, you'll be able to see a subtle link between some of the form vocabulary for all of them and Corvette," said Welburn. "I always look at the hood of the Corvette and the sectioning, the way it's taut, very lean, very sporty. That will be a part of really everything we do for Chevrolet."

The hope with adding some of the Corvette's design cues is that will help make Chevrolet's designs more competitive.

Source: Automotive News (Subscription Required)

View full article

GM and Chevrolet has done this for years. The Impala, Chevelle, Camaro have all shared styling hallmarks with the Corvette over the years to good effect.

Chevy has never tried to convince them their Impala is a Corvette but they do a good job of letting them know they are part of the same family.

There is no downside here if you know your GM history.

Hell my HHR SS has the same steering wheel as the ZR1 and it never stopped anyone from buying it so if  you want to chase that argument then it is groundless.

• 4 weeks later...

Subtle is definitely the keyword here.  Hopefully they don't make things to obvious otherwise people who are paying all the extra money for the corvettes won't be happy.  I don't think this is going to be a big issue by any means and I honestly don't think we will see any drastic changes on the econobox cars.

• 2 weeks later...

I think camaro practically already have those lights. However the change is kind of drastic, but we'll just have to see. I don't think they'll look horrible, or that the value of the car will decrease, cause I'll though some people are just die hard for their cars, others just get them for the name. If we are all being honest here, many sales have been made just cause the person knew the brand name of their car would bring them a lot of spotlight.